Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>$825 In The Pocket Is Better Than Nothing...Right?
SilverSabre25 05:34 AM 04-28-2011
About a month ago I was speaking with someone who sounded like a perfect client, but wanted a pretty big discount for her two kids. I stuck up for myself, my program, and my rates, and declined.

Well, a month later and those two spots are still open, and I've gotten practically zero responses to my ads, so I emailed the lady and let her know that if she still needs care I can accommodate her price.

$825/month is a lot better than $0.

I am just hoping that she responds and still needs care and everything. After losing that one client at the beginning of this month, and today is the last day for another, on top of DH being forced to take a $350/month pay cut at work, we are seriously hurting here.
Zoe 05:39 AM 04-28-2011
I know what you mean. I've been licensed since February and have gotten only 3 calls! All were from out of town and misread my ad (honestly don't even know how they did that, my town name was IN THE AD!)

Last week, one of the mothers at my daughter's dance studio who also does daycare offered to send clients my way since she is to capacity. Right now she referred an infant who only needs 1-2 days a week. I don't want to do that, but I'm only taking care of 1 family now, so I'm trying to be more flexible.

I hope that family calls you back!
nannyde 05:55 AM 04-28-2011
That's $95.93 per week per kid.

How many hours is this for?
SilverSabre25 06:07 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That's $95.93 per week per kid.

How many hours is this for?
*sigh*

full-time, about ten hours a day, five days a week.

But it seems to be the going rate around here lately. My area's Craigslist is over-saturated with providers offering care for $75/week, even $65/week. (Here you can see I'm not kidding).
nannyde 06:11 AM 04-28-2011
$1.97 per hour.

Can you do it for that?
melskids 06:15 AM 04-28-2011
going rate around her is only 100/wk anyway, so that discount wouldnt be too big a deal for me.

what is your going rate?
SilverSabre25 06:23 AM 04-28-2011
Nanny, I've got to. I don't have much choice at this point!

Melskids, my going rate is $120/week for full-time.
melskids 06:31 AM 04-28-2011
normally i would say no way, but in this economy, we're all pulling teeth. i'd take it, if it will help you get through.

i have a dc mom, who just had another baby. i gave her a hefty discount, just to keep her. but the deal is, when the older one goes to school in another year, the price will be in full, for one full timer, and a school ager. so basically, what she's paying now....her payment wont change.
nannyde 06:38 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
normally i would say no way, but in this economy, we're all pulling teeth. i'd take it, if it will help you get through.

i have a dc mom, who just had another baby. i gave her a hefty discount, just to keep her. but the deal is, when the older one goes to school in another year, the price will be in full, for one full timer, and a school ager. so basically, what she's paying now....her payment wont change.
I've seen a lot of these types of second child discounts. What happens in most cases is the parent takes the hefty deal until the day comes when the deal isn't hefty. Don't be surprised if they make other arrangements as soon as the oldest goes to school.
Cat Herder 06:39 AM 04-28-2011
It is $105 a week for 50 hours here....

That is the going rate.
Pammie 06:40 AM 04-28-2011
I know what you're going through Silver - and we're located close enough that I'm affected by the same over-saturated/new provider/undercut rate market as you

I've NEVER had trouble staying/keeping a full roster in 25 years of daycare - until the past year or so. The only calls I get are for infants - and the state limits my infant spaces

I've had to extend my operating hours and occasionally cut my rates in order to fill roster spots. I've even added Friday Night Parent's Nights Out (for an extra fee) weekly to attract/retain clients...and to try and make up what I've lost in cutting rates. So I now work 63 hours/week just to keep my roster full with the income that I used to make working 50 hrs/wk.

I was faced with sticking with my former hours and having empty roster spaces for months before having to work more - just to make ends meet. I even worked a retail job nights/weekends for several months to make up the difference what I was losing from having empty roster space. I'm hoping that if the economy around here picks up soon, and all of the new providers that are offering fulltime care for under $100/wk decide to quit, I can cut my hours back (and perhaps increase my rates) then.

I feel for you Silver - it stinks to be a daycare provider around here - now.
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 04-28-2011
At least I can feel a bit better knowing that $100 is the going rate in other parts of the country. It's frustrating, and I doubt I'll even get her back since it's been a month. But a girl can hope, eh? Right now, I just need the income more than anything else.
SilverSabre25 06:43 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I know what you're going through Silver - and we're located close enough that I'm affected by the same over-saturated/new provider/undercut rate market as you

I've NEVER had trouble staying/keeping a full roster in 25 years of daycare - until the past year or so. The only calls I get are for infants - and the state limits my infant spaces

I've had to extend my operating hours and occasionally cut my rates in order to fill roster spots. I've even added Friday Night Parent's Nights Out (for an extra fee) weekly to attract/retain clients...and to try and make up what I've lost in cutting rates. So I now work 63 hours/week just to keep my roster full with the income that I used to make working 50 hrs/wk.

I was faced with sticking with my former hours and having empty roster spaces for months before having to work more - just to make ends meet. I even worked a retail job nights/weekends for several months to make up the difference what I was losing from having empty roster space. I'm hoping that if the economy around here picks up soon, and all of the new providers that are offering fulltime care for under $100/wk decide to quit, I can cut my hours back (and perhaps increase my rates) then.

I feel for you Silver - it stinks to be a daycare provider around here - now.
I hear ya on the infants...really, really hear ya. I'm really thinking that by the time my new baby is turning two and my current crop of kids have aged out and headed to kindy (which will be around the same time) I'm going to go to being an infant-only provider. But that's 2 years away...*sigh*
nannyde 06:51 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Nanny, I've got to. I don't have much choice at this point!

Melskids, my going rate is $120/week for full-time.
So you are dropping your rates 21 percent for two children.

If you decide to do it... then you must not look at it as a discount. It's just now your rate.
morgan24 07:12 AM 04-28-2011
I would take them. Your area sounds like mine calls have not been coming for at least year. The rate here is $90.00 for 45 hours and everyone wants a second child discount. It has come down to either take what is offered or go without. Until the job market picks up and people are getting a higher wage that is just the way it is here.
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 04-28-2011
If you decide to do it... then you must not look at it as a discount. It's just now your rate.
Very true!! Otherwise it can start to build into resentment...
Unregistered 07:24 AM 04-28-2011
I would take it and then later if you can find a family of full timers willing to pay your regular (current) rate give this family notice or tell them they will have to pay the regular rate (and they will probably leave). If you have to do it you have to do it. I raised my rates recently but still give cheaper rates to one client who was with me prior to the raise. All my new clients get quoted the higher rate. In fact none of my clients get charged the same rate b/c of schedules, hours, ages of kids etc.

I know what your feeling about not being able to fill spots and some money is better than nothing. You have to pay the bills and that mom might just be feeling the same about her financial situation and need to get a better rate in order to survive.
melskids 08:02 AM 04-28-2011
I've seen a lot of these types of second child discounts. What happens in most cases is the parent takes the hefty deal until the day comes when the deal isn't hefty. Don't be surprised if they make other arrangements as soon as the oldest goes to school.
oh , i know. you are right. but it gives me some time to find replacements. hopefully the economy and need for child care will return by then. fingers crossed.
Symphony 08:11 AM 04-28-2011
My area is awful too. I have a family of three that pays 900/mo for 7:30-5 FT care. I'm also the most expensive in my town.
SilverSabre25 08:38 AM 04-28-2011

Oh absolutely, I realize that completely. I've been thinking for two or three weeks now that I am going to have to drop my rate (again) in order to get anymore clients right now. Dropping it to $100/week is about what I was thinking I was going to have to do anyway.
mac60 10:09 AM 04-28-2011
Going rate here for home daycare is $85/$90 for 1, $135/$140 for 2 fulltime. Our unemployment rate still very high here. Grateful I am full.
littlemissmuffet 10:20 AM 04-28-2011
It makes me really sad to read that so many providers are struggling right now. Personally, I wouldn't drop my rates, and I wouldn't take the family for such a huge discount... I would spend every waking hour advertising and pounding the pavement to get clients - going to schools, handing out business cards to parents I see at the gym/restaraunts/grocery stores, putting up bright colored flyers ALL around the city and selling myself like crazy. I know that the economy is still in the dumps, but there are still people out there with money... who are willing to spend it on knowing their children are getting great care - you have to find them! Never sell yourself short!
WDW 10:23 AM 04-28-2011
If that was the only family I had pursuing me, I'd take it! $825/month is a potential mortgage payment, or a car payment, or something. Pays a lot more than $0. Good luck! It does stink.. I have a family with a big sib discount that I caved in and gave because I didn't want to lose them. Had them both since six weeks old, and I get paid faithfully every other Friday. Hard to let that walk when there isn't anyone beating down my door. Wouldn't you know, I've had three calls today tho.
Evansmom 10:32 AM 04-28-2011
I hear ya Silver! It's tough out here for us right now. Until the economy picks up there isn't much we can do.

I have tons of experience, have a well written curriculum etc. but it's almost like no one cares about that right now. They just want a place to drop their kids where they are safe and that's it. I find I can't charge for my program like I used to.

And I usually don't take infants but one of my families is having a baby and wants to bring her here. I have gone back and forth about taking an infant and first decided not to but just emailed those parents that I can if they still want me to. I'd rather take a baby from a family I know is good than a stranger. And I know I'll give a sibling discount. But my other slots will stay the same rate.
nannyde 10:35 AM 04-28-2011
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/kid/2351000905.html

Looking for Full Time long-term nanny (west desmoines)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are looking for a Full Time and long term nanny for our kid (16 months) starting ASAP. We are looking for a long-term commitment, four days a week with the same schedule each week (M-T-W-Th, 7:30-5:00). Would want someone to come to our home preferably, would possibly allow someone to bring their child along. If we bring our child to your home, we would prefer only 1-2 other children be there. Would want someone close to West Des Moines Area. We are wanting to pay what we would pay an in-home daycare provider ($25-$35 per day). Willing to do any additional house hold work will be paid. Would need a clean background, reliable transportation would be beneficial and willingness to clean up after yourself. References would be checked. We want to start interviewing ASAP.

2.63 an hour if they pay 25 dollars a day
3.68 an hour if they pay 35 dollars a day

For FOUR days a week.

They want a long term nanny OR someone with only one or two children.

Yeah it's bad out there.
Lucy 10:39 AM 04-28-2011

It's called a recession. Like she said, $825 is better than zero. House prices are down, car prices are down, heck - even Pizza Hut dropped their prices. People who are at or near capacity are very fortunate, but for most of us, this is not the case. I've struggled to get kids in for a couple of years now. I have ONE full-time, two b/a school, and one occasional (who is becoming less and less occasional). We're struggling, and it's not fun.
Evansmom 10:39 AM 04-28-2011
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/kid/2351000905.html

Looking for Full Time long-term nanny (west desmoines)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are looking for a Full Time and long term nanny for our kid (16 months) starting ASAP. We are looking for a long-term commitment, four days a week with the same schedule each week (M-T-W-Th, 7:30-5:00). Would want someone to come to our home preferably, would possibly allow someone to bring their child along. If we bring our child to your home, we would prefer only 1-2 other children be there. Would want someone close to West Des Moines Area. We are wanting to pay what we would pay an in-home daycare provider ($25-$35 per day). Willing to do any additional house hold work will be paid. Would need a clean background, reliable transportation would be beneficial and willingness to clean up after yourself. References would be checked. We want to start interviewing ASAP.

2.63 an hour if they pay 25 dollars a day
3.68 an hour if they pay 35 dollars a day

For FOUR days a week.

They want a long term nanny OR someone with only one or two children.

Yeah it's bad out there.
Oh yeah, you should seem some people here trying to get away with this for a nanny. Some are offering $500 to $700 monthly for full time private care! Most of them here though end with the sentece "spanish speaking preferred" which I take to mean "we want to take advantage of someone who isn't from this country and will work for pennies." sad.
Live and Learn 10:50 AM 04-28-2011
Good luck Silver.

I know that you are just trying to do the best that you can to provide for your family.

I hope that the economy picks up in your area soon.
Tags:bad economy, discount, economy, spots
Reply Up