Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Reasonable To Ask Parents...
Shell 08:01 AM 10-23-2013
I recently had a family give notice, after telling me specifically less than a month before, that they had no plans on ever pulling their kids. The whole situation has made me jaded, and I have vented a little on here about it. Well anyway, the situation has made me question the future of the profession, and how I should proceed.

I hadn't received any interest in my daycare for a few weeks, and then suddenly, I have a few hits off of craigslist. I am wondering if it is reasonable for me to send out an email or letter asking existing parents if they plan on staying on- because if not, I would like to fill their spots with new, interested families.

Would you send out a letter like this, and if so, what would it say?
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 10-23-2013
Personally, no. I would never send a letter like that.

I know why you would want to but honestly, no one really knows what their situation will be 2, 4 or even 12 months from now so how would they be able to answer you honestly?

A family could say they plan on staying for the next 3 years only to lose their job tomorrow...kwim?

Plus if a family IS planning on leaving now and hasn't said anything to you, it sucks but that is their right to do too.

I'm sorry you are feeling jaded... but I don't like to call it that...I like to call it an awakening.

You now KNNOW that it's everyone for themselves. YOU protect yourself (policies, rules, deposits, required notices, paid time off etc...) and parents will protect themselves

It IS the nature of this business and unfortunately no matter how much we try to avoid it, it is what it is.

(((((hugs))))
Laurel 08:18 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I know why you would want to but honestly, no one really knows what their situation will be 2, 4 or even 12 months from now so how would they be able to answer you honestly?

A family could say they plan on staying for the next 3 years only to lose their job tomorrow...kwim?

Plus if a family IS planning on leaving now and hasn't said anything to you, it sucks but that is their right to do too.

I'm sorry you are feeling jaded... but I don't like to call it that...I like to call it an awakening.

You now KNNOW that it's everyone for themselves. YOU protect yourself (policies, rules, deposits, required notices, paid time off etc...) and parents will protect themselves

It IS the nature of this business and unfortunately no matter how much we try to avoid it, it is what it is.

(((((hugs))))

cheerfuldom 08:22 AM 10-23-2013
dont send the letter. all it will bring is questions and panic from your current parents. the letter will make them feel like you are ready to replace them any second and thats not a very secure feeling. i understand why you would want to do this but agree with BC that parents cant tell you something they dont know. and if they are ready to leave but not ready to give notice, they wont tell you just because you sent a letter.
preschoolteacher 08:24 AM 10-23-2013
I can see why you want to feel out your families' intentions, but I were a daycare parent, receiving a letter like that would irritate me (do you think so poorly of me that you think I'd leave without giving notice?) and worry me (are you going to fill my child's place behind my back? should I start looking for alternative care now?).

What about something like...

Dear families,

Although I ask parents to give me two weeks' notice (or whatever your policy says) before removing their child from my program, in this economy, many small businesses are having a harder time finding new customers/clients, and home daycare is no different! I hope all of you are planning to stay at XXX (daycare name), but if you know of anything in your future (work schedule changes, moving away, etc.) that would change your child's enrollment here, I would appreciate as much notice as possible so I can advertise the open space. Thanks for understanding! It's been wonderful caring for your kids.

Your name

Hopefully you will get responses like: "We love you! We plan to stay with you for a long time!" But if you don't get any response, I'd ask the parents in person if they got your email. And then at that point, if they still don't tell you they plan to stay with you, I'd ask them straight out.
daycare 08:45 AM 10-23-2013
why not just change your termination notice to 30 days for everyone. This will give you more time to replace them.

Years ago, I used to do 3 month at a time contracts, but it was way too much paperwork.

Bad thing about being self employed is that you will always experience the roller coaster ride. Some times things will be great and then sometimes they wont. Tomorrow is never guaranteed.
butterfly 09:13 AM 10-23-2013
I would NOT send a letter for the reasons already stated. But continue to advertise, offer to put perspective clients on a wait list. It makes it much easier to fill open spots when you have already made contact with interested potential clients.
Unregistered 09:29 AM 10-23-2013
every summer my daycare sends out a notice asking if parents plan to send their children that following school year. Of course, things can change and the notice policy is still in effect. Maybe something like that with the new year coming up?
Familycare71 09:45 AM 10-23-2013
Personally I wouldn't bring it up in any form. I agree with BC. Families will do what's in their best interest and things change- it is the nature of this business.
If you won the lottery would you continue to provide care just because you said you planned on always being in this business?
Just remeber to not take it personally
Shell 10:25 AM 10-23-2013
Oh, you guys are all right, as usual It is so difficult to get accustomed to the nature of people coming and going. As a teacher, kids would leave at the end of the year, and I would get a new class- that's what I'm used to. This is a real wake up call!

I have two families that I suspect might be thinking of making the move to preschool...that's why I figured I might try the approach of either writing a letter, or asking them outright. I would hate to lose an interested family, just to find out that someone was planning on going to preschool. Ughh!
cheerfuldom 11:13 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Oh, you guys are all right, as usual It is so difficult to get accustomed to the nature of people coming and going. As a teacher, kids would leave at the end of the year, and I would get a new class- that's what I'm used to. This is a real wake up call!

I have two families that I suspect might be thinking of making the move to preschool...that's why I figured I might try the approach of either writing a letter, or asking them outright. I would hate to lose an interested family, just to find out that someone was planning on going to preschool. Ughh!
I would ask each parent about preschool plans, letting them know that Jr. is more than welcome at your house for as long as needed but that you would also appreciate that they be upfront if they are planning to transition to preschool any time soon. I would not send a letter to everyone but I would ask a parent directly if I felt that there were some signals they may be leaving soon. kids coming and going is super common. you feel like you are important in their child's life and to the family but the parents will yank their kid out faster than you can "bob's your uncle". that was really hard for me to accept when i started daycare. how quickly parents will just move on and never look back. not every parent is like that but many of them are.
e.j. 03:32 PM 10-23-2013
Every spring and fall I talk directly with my dc parents to see what their plans are: Will XXX be staying through the summer? Will XXX be leaving for school in the fall? I keep it casual and just explain that I know I can't expect to keep the kids forever and just want to plan ahead. I make it clear that I'm happy to keep the kids for as long as the family needs me but I don't want to turn clients away if there is an opening coming up.

I wouldn't send out a letter asking existing parents if they plan on staying on "because if not, I would like to fill their spots with new, interested families." That sounds too confrontational to me. I think you have to approach this in a more positive way. If it's true, let them know you value them as clients, that you don't like to think of the day their child will leave your care but realistically, since the child is reaching pre-school age you have to ask what their plans are so you can plan accordingly.
Rachel 02:12 AM 10-24-2013
No, I wouldn't send a letter, but I require a 30 day notice except in the 1st month which is a trial month. They still pay the month upfront though, and here subsidized spots are in such demand it's not really hard to fill an opened spot.
Shell 04:33 AM 10-24-2013
Great advice from everyone, thank you! I think it is reasonable to ask about Preschool plans, probably using one of the formats listed above. For now, I will just wait and see what happens...I don't know how some of you have done this for so many years with the uncertainty of will you have kids enrolled, or not-but I've got to start getting used to it!
Familycare71 05:00 AM 10-24-2013
Great advice from everyone, thank you! I think it is reasonable to ask about Preschool plans, probably using one of the formats listed above. For now, I will just wait and see what happens...I don't know how some of you have done this for so many years with the uncertainty of will you have kids enrolled, or not-but I've got to start getting used to it!
Yes- I think simply asking in conversation would be ok. Esp those who have children coming to pre school age. This new pre-school era is tough!! I also have lost more kids to family/friends providing care than I ever have.
You do get used to it- sort of! . I still panic a little when my numbers get low but I have weathered it before and the numbers always come back eventually. I think I just got to a point where I decided this is what I want to do so I will weather the slow times
Good luck to you!
Provider_Manda 06:35 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

(((((hugs))))
Couldn't have put it better myself
Reply Up