Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ring or Similar Doorbell/Camera Products?
LittleScholars 07:28 AM 05-26-2016
On a previous post the product Ring was brought up. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and moving my daycare down there, so I'm very interested in some sort of doorbell/motion detector/camera outside. Even before the move, this would make me feel much more comfortable being alone with little ones all day.

For those of you that use them, what do you recommend? I read that Ring doesn't allow you to use the camera on-demand, and I think it would be great to have it turned on during pick up windows. Ideally, we will get a head start to the door before parents ring. I also feel like licensing will require I have something like this so I can hear the doorbell when they arrive. For this reason, I like the two-way communication Ring offers.

Thank you!
LysesKids 08:16 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
On a previous post the product Ring was brought up. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and moving my daycare down there, so I'm very interested in some sort of doorbell/motion detector/camera outside. Even before the move, this would make me feel much more comfortable being alone with little ones all day.

For those of you that use them, what do you recommend? I read that Ring doesn't allow you to use the camera on-demand, and I think it would be great to have it turned on during pick up windows. Ideally, we will get a head start to the door before parents ring. I also feel like licensing will require I have something like this so I can hear the doorbell when they arrive. For this reason, I like the two-way communication Ring offers.

Thank you!
Well as much as I want to get a ring, it just won't work here due to instillation; my door jamb is not wide enough to put the wireless version (I refuse to cut out a hole in my vinyl siding and have to make a wood backer to attach their backer... too much work) and my home is not pre-wired for a regular doorbell, so 2nd option out the window as well.

I heard rumors of a Ring Pro coming out shortly, but it's hard wired only option when they upgrade the software. Still looking at camera options for my home
LittleScholars 08:23 AM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Well as much as I want to get a ring, it just won't work here due to instillation; my door jamb is not wide enough to put the wireless version (I refuse to cut out a hole in my vinyl siding and have to make a wood backer to attach their backer... too much work)
I'm so glad you said this! I didn't think to look at the space I have. I may be in the same boat!
LysesKids 08:56 AM 05-26-2016
I'm so glad you said this! I didn't think to look at the space I have. I may be in the same boat!
The hardwired version is half the width of the wireless... I actually went into Best Buy to see in person, got measurements & Bingo, no way. Also BB will match Amazon's lower price for instock ($15 difference)
LittleScholars 09:12 AM 05-26-2016
The hardwired version is half the width of the wireless... I actually went into Best Buy to see in person, got measurements & Bingo, no way. Also BB will match Amazon's lower price for instock ($15 difference)
Thank you SO much! I wouldn't have thought to go to Best Buy. I've never actually seen one in person. I'm going to check it out if they stock them near me!
LysesKids 12:07 PM 05-26-2016
Thank you SO much! I wouldn't have thought to go to Best Buy. I've never actually seen one in person. I'm going to check it out if they stock them near me!
Lowe's also stocks a few, but BB had a better selection including the extra ringer & the camera that can attach to an overhang. You can tell what I did this past weekend lol
spud912 01:53 PM 05-26-2016
We got ours at Lowes a couple of weeks ago. So far I really like it! In fact, just this morning a dcm tried dropping off early and I just answered the ring on my phone and told her it would be about 5 minutes before I could get to the door. The other day, we went out to the backyard to water plants and a dad rang the doorbell and I was able to respond to it immediately, despite not being anywhere near the front door.

Just a suggestion, but you could always install it in less than stellar fashion using double sided sticky tape (the nicer kind that can actually hold weight). We use the double sided tape for a wooden plaque that we hung by the front door. It's been hanging now for a year and a half and have only had to replace it once because a dcb was hanging on it and ripped it off the wall.
LysesKids 02:15 PM 05-26-2016
Originally Posted by spud912:
We got ours at Lowes a couple of weeks ago. So far I really like it! In fact, just this morning a dcm tried dropping off early and I just answered the ring on my phone and told her it would be about 5 minutes before I could get to the door. The other day, we went out to the backyard to water plants and a dad rang the doorbell and I was able to respond to it immediately, despite not being anywhere near the front door.

Just a suggestion, but you could always install it in less than stellar fashion using double sided sticky tape (the nicer kind that can actually hold weight). We use the double sided tape for a wooden plaque that we hung by the front door. It's been hanging now for a year and a half and have only had to replace it once because a dcb was hanging on it and ripped it off the wall.
But wouldn't that void Rings warranty of replacing it if stolen? I thought it had to be screwed in for them to honor a stolen camera/Doorbell. I thought about the double sided tape myself, but that warranty was the reason i haven't done it... my last tiny camera I did that with was busted by a neighbor (2 years ago)
spud912 02:52 PM 05-26-2016
But wouldn't that void Rings warranty of replacing it if stolen? I thought it had to be screwed in for them to honor a stolen camera/Doorbell. I thought about the double sided tape myself, but that warranty was the reason i haven't done it... my last tiny camera I did that with was busted by a neighbor (2 years ago)
Huh, I didn't even know about the warranty....good to know!
LysesKids 02:53 PM 05-26-2016
Huh, I didn't even know about the warranty....good to know!
Found it on the actual RING.COM website
spud912 03:09 PM 05-26-2016
Found it on the actual RING.COM website
Ours is secured to the wall per the directions, but my dh LOVES his double sided tape .
LittleScholars 05:35 AM 05-27-2016
I didn't even think of this benefit! So perfect for early drop offs. At the end of the day we are always in a different place depending on the weather, so that's another great use.

I would hate to void the warranty, but I might take my changes with double-sided tape if I can't screw it in.

I'm sure I can figure this out when I play with it more/look into it more, but does the camera only flip on when the doorbell rings? Or is there some sort of motion detection feature?
284878 05:09 PM 05-27-2016
I use this at the bottom of my steps leading up to the deck. I hear the parents walk up the steps and I meet them at the door most times before they knock.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ult?q=driveway
LysesKids 06:43 PM 05-27-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I use this at the bottom of my steps leading up to the deck. I hear the parents walk up the steps and I meet them at the door most times before they knock.
I had 2 of these... strays set off false alarms in the middle of the night here lol. I got rid of them after being wakened once too many times
284878 07:13 AM 05-28-2016
I had 2 of these... strays set off false alarms in the middle of the night here lol. I got rid of them after being wakened once too many times
They have on and off buttons on the side. If the wind blows to much at night, I just turn it off. Since I use it mainly for pick ups time, it works well for me.
LittleScholars 06:15 AM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
Oh!! Thank you! This is a great option!!!
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 05-31-2016
At my home (not daycare house) my driveway is almost a mile long so we have these alarms at the beginning so I can be alerted when someone comes..... occasionally it will go off repeatedly.... it's almost always a spider thinking the eye/sensor is a great place to start a web.
Tags:security cameras
Reply Up