Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Leave without Notice
spud912 01:07 PM 12-03-2017
If you have a family leave (as in move away) without providing the required 2 week notice that they signed, would you pursue it with small claims court? Is it worth it? Trying to figure out what to do.
storybookending 03:29 PM 12-03-2017
Originally Posted by spud912:
If you have a family leave (as in move away) without providing the required 2 week notice that they signed, would you pursue it with small claims court? Is it worth it? Trying to figure out what to do.
I guess it would depend how much money it is. I went though the courts once to get fees owed (not dc related) and even though I won I know I’ll never see that money again.. sometimes it’s easier to take the loss than to use all the resources and time loss to get the money back. Start requiring a deposit from here on out.
spud912 08:30 PM 12-03-2017
I normally don't require a deposit because the families I take in are extremely reliable. I bent my rules for this individual because it was for "extra" money. The amount owed is $230 at this point.
ColorfulSunburst 10:20 PM 12-03-2017
If it happen just take it as a lesson and start take two week security deposit that can be applied only on last two weeks of your service.
Lil_Diddle 10:44 PM 12-03-2017
Yes, I take two weeks deposit from every family. Even friends and family, because in business there are no friends and family. I should also note that in my handbook it says the deposit is only used towards the last two weeks of care and will not be returned as cash, unless in the case of I terminate the care due to my inability to provide care (not for disrespect of myself or my policies) I did this because I watch a lot of teachers kids and I don't want them taking the summers off and then waiting till 2 weeks until their child is supposed to return and say the DCK will not be back and they want their deposit back because they gave notice.

I'm glad I also have it noted that if I terminate care due to disrespect that the deposit will not be returned. I had a Dcd completely lose it on me one morning because I would not keep his sick kid, he then threatened me. After talking with dcm and telling her that care was terminated because of dcd's behavior. She knew without asking, "so I guess that means we aren't getting our deposit back"

My handbook is thick but it has came in handy in so many situations
LysesKids 07:56 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Yes, I take two weeks deposit from every family. Even friends and family, because in business there are no friends and family. I should also note that in my handbook it says the deposit is only used towards the last two weeks of care and will not be returned as cash, unless in the case of I terminate the care due to my inability to provide care (not for disrespect of myself or my policies) I did this because I watch a lot of teachers kids and I don't want them taking the summers off and then waiting till 2 weeks until their child is supposed to return and say the DCK will not be back and they want their deposit back because they gave notice.

I'm glad I also have it noted that if I terminate care due to disrespect that the deposit will not be returned. I had a Dcd completely lose it on me one morning because I would not keep his sick kid, he then threatened me. After talking with dcm and telling her that care was terminated because of dcd's behavior. She knew without asking, "so I guess that means we aren't getting our deposit back"

My handbook is thick but it has came in handy in so many situations
I had one parent try & guilt me into giving her a refund because I closed during an ice storm; she pulled her child & expected her $$... nope not happening. The last time a father threatened me I called the cops & put out a restraining order. Even though he lives 3 blocks away now ( moved here to neighborhood after the incident) he cannot come onto the property even for Trick or Treat. Sad , because a neighbor & I throw one heck of a bash for halloween treats each year
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 12-04-2017
I don't know how complicated conciliation court is in your area but I'd pursue it for principle alone.

I despise that people trust you (child care providers in general) enough to care for their child....but don't respect you enough to pay you for those services....and let's face it, it's not like they are having to pay $100's of dollars and hour... in the grand scheme of things it's not that much money....but it's so disrespectful that I would pursue it just to make it difficult or annoying for them for being so rude.
hwichlaz 08:15 AM 12-04-2017
I send it to a collections agency. I get SSN on my contract. I copy the contract with the most recent sign in sheets and send it off to collections, where they add their fees on top of what's owed.
Reply Up