Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long...
Mariposa 09:18 PM 08-12-2020
Warning, long post.

When you first started-how long did it take to gain families?
Can't help but feel discouraged, despite knowing going in that it will be tough.
I have read it takes awhile and I know we are in the midst of the pandemic, which makes this double hard to open. I am not someone who has luck with anything and I don't have a large network (I am used to being ignored online on FB and such).

My venture started in February-before knowing what was happening-after years of contemplating and years of learning in various centers.

I have posted on Craiglist 1-3 posts (catering to each thing I do-like my 2 hour preschool program) 4 facebook groups, my Facebook, and everyone I talk with. I posted business cards in some places.

I put my ages in my ads and yet the handful of inquiries I have received have all been for infant and toddlers-who I don't serve (space reasons, preference). It is frustrating.

I had a nice start-someone responded to my ad right away and enrolled their child full time for summer. Someone else inquired but he ended up being an a-hole so I passed. Then someone with two kids signed up part time for 5 weeks. She is driving across town for my care.

I do SO much. I am well-versed and experienced-20 years: 17 in centers (6 in Director and assistant Director positions). I show on my FB (I made a website this past weekend and it looks great) the amazing activities we do with explanations of what they are doing and learning. I have a rich curriculum, provide in-trips (had Kona Shave Ice come out to us recently and treated all the neighbors who wanted some) and have a really awesome set up.

I have nobody lined up for Sept. My husband is being laid off (not covid related) again (first time 18 years at a job before-software engineer, now this one) in Sept and I don't know if he will get unemployment since that is backed up. My job is not for making income honestly, but I may have to. I want my children to have this experience and pay for the program. Probably unheard of.

Not to mention my own kids-my 7 year old throws fits over everything. Things not her way
Told no. Transitions. Like she has ODD. 3 year old is bored sometimes and will physically bother people or knock their stuff down. He is relentless-he just won't stop when he gets in that mode.
My handbook states I can't have these behaviors -being alone trying to do so much and with my personal objects that can break. Kids with behaviors that need extra attention need that TLC but I am not that setting without help. But they're my own kids. I feel like a hypocrite. I feel like kids will leave because of how my two can be. And I feel stupid like I should not have this issue after all my years of work.

I am very anxious about this not going well. And my kids will be in a rollercoaster ride with routing-esp my 3 year old.

Thanks for reading.
Mariposa 09:27 PM 08-12-2020
*online posts for FB and Craigslist are per week.
Littlepeopleprovider 03:58 AM 08-13-2020
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling! The beginning is tough but if you stick with it, you will get more families interested.

Some things to consider when advertising and looking for families:

Do you live in a well-populated area?
Is there a need for daycare in your area?
Are your rates higher/lower than the average rate in your area?

Other things I learned about advertising that helped me gain more families:

Post ads on the Nextdoor app, Facebook babysitting groups, Care.com and Yelp.
Ask current or past families to write reviews on Google, Care.com, Yelp. Call local realtors and ask if they'd be willing to put your flyer in a welcome package for potential buyers. Call pizza places and ask if they can attach a flyer to the deliveries. I know those last two are unconventional, but it worked for me!

Think outside the box, stay vilegent and patient.

It really does take some time to get people to notice your new business, but it really does work out if you keep trying.
Cat Herder 04:18 AM 08-13-2020
I had families lined up before I left my previous job. I volunteered in my community and built up relationships before I began.

I also never kept kids my own kids ages as I personally would not choose a provider with their own kids in care. Please don't take that personally, it is a very common expectation and one that I felt strongly about because of my past childcare history.

When my kids were infants/toddlers, I ran a before/after school and summer program. I had to be up really early and work late to accommodate mill schedules, 4a-8p but I made it work.

When my kids were elementary-middle school aged I only took infants/toddlers 6a-6p. When they were teens I finally was able to do birth-six and whiddled my hours down to 730-530.

Very few are able to open with short hours, high-end tuition for their area and have their own children in care within their first 5 years. Most close within 2 years. This is definately a career you have to plan for in advance. Stay strong. Stay focused. Get creative.
Littlepeopleprovider 04:20 AM 08-13-2020
*Vigilant not vilegent. Haha! My brain isn't working yet this morning!
Mariposa 08:52 AM 08-13-2020
Originally Posted by Littlepeopleprovider:
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling! The beginning is tough but if you stick with it, you will get more families interested.

Some things to consider when advertising and looking for families:

Do you live in a well-populated area?
Is there a need for daycare in your area?
Are your rates higher/lower than the average rate in your area?

Other things I learned about advertising that helped me gain more families:

Post ads on the Nextdoor app, Facebook babysitting groups, Care.com and Yelp.
Ask current or past families to write reviews on Google, Care.com, Yelp. Call local realtors and ask if they'd be willing to put your flyer in a welcome package for potential buyers. Call pizza places and ask if they can attach a flyer to the deliveries. I know those last two are unconventional, but it worked for me!

Think outside the box, stay vilegent and patient.

It really does take some time to get people to notice your new business, but it really does work out if you keep trying.
Great questions. I am in a very populated area. Daycare is always a need, and many places have closed. However, there is a new center being built catering to my child's newly built school-thst may be a challenge.

I charged well under when opening, hoping it would bring in families. It really did not. Even state told me (I offer state and a specific Tribe that offers subsidies) I was too low. So I raised to be like more of the places around me. Those charging way less appear to offer way less.
I forgot to mention nextdoor-yes, I use that app. How much would it cost for pizza delivery ads?
I have asked my past realtor. I have reached out to some businesses I have used and asked for exchange of promotion. One yes, two no response. One or two should ask.

I offer all day care for 4.5 and up, because most of my experience and interest is S.A. but because of my son I will do preschool for awhile, then see how it is even a couple of kids would be great, even if they do all day and not just the 2 hours.

I have asked everyone on FB to share but some cannot because it conflicts with their childcare company. Many don't respond but I see they read my message.

I even did a car magnet but I had a mishap with them
Long story, my fault.
On my 3rd round of business cards. 1st was before pres. Program was added. 2nd had the specific before|after-affected currently with remote learning. Neither had my FB or website.

This one around will be more general and point to the website.
Unregistered 12:41 AM 08-16-2020
I think creating a website helps too if you don't already have one! https://www.JordansLittleStarsChildcare.com

I was nervous I wouldn't fill my spots when I first opened but it just took a bit of time for people to find/notice me.
Mariposa 08:08 AM 08-16-2020
I do have a website Made it last weekend

Just made a free wix site but without paying it won't show up on search engines, and without straight up domain I can't just say go to abc.com or whatever. It's lengthy.

I spent so much $ and my husband has been laid off that I want to give it time before paying for a domain.
Tags:advertise - word of mouth, providers own children
Reply Up