Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Retractable Gate Longer Than 9 Ft???
caring4kidsinSD 11:15 AM 12-12-2011
I need to do something because they are driving me nuts while trying to get lunch ready!!!!! I need a retractable gate to close off my kitchen area from the toddlers. I have 4 of them and they are always underfoot. In the past, its' been ok because i"ve only have 1 of that age at a time and could shoo them away easier but I have 4! They try to pull stuff off the table - opening the cupboards in the kitchen, etc.

I just finished looking for retractable gates online but they are all for 55 inches or less. Anyone use or know of one that is about 9ft long??? I don't want a permanent one! Just something I can pull out while I"m cooking and/or cleaning up after meals so I'm not stepping on them all the time.
Heidi 11:19 AM 12-12-2011
I had the same problem, and no real way to block off the cooking area while I'm in it.

My toddlers all sit at the table with puzzles, books, or crayons & paper while I cook. I try to keep the time short, and I show them what I'm making and talk to them. They don't mind, and it's much safer!

Usually, the preschoolers sit down voluntarily, even though they could go play....
MNMum 12:33 PM 12-12-2011
I ended up getting 3 of the Today's Kid's colorful gates - so 18 panels. I use them all the time. They can be arranged in many different ways, sometimes I use them as a gate, mostly I make a toddler zone with 5-12 panels. I don't think they make them anymore, I got mine off of craigslist. They are similar to the Superyard gates, only prettier. However, I do not think they are as tall, and my 2 year old easily gets over them.
heyhun77 06:41 PM 12-12-2011
I have a retractable gate from http://www.retract-a-gate.com/ . Mine is 72 inches. Purhaps you could email them to see about a special order gate?

Michelle

mismatchedsocks 06:56 PM 12-12-2011
What about letting them start to eat while you finish preparing the rest? I think a special order gate would have to be ordered, unless you made it yourself?
DaycareMama 07:15 PM 12-12-2011
http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai....babygates.com

Ok so this is a driveway gate but its big enough
caring4kidsinSD 07:34 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai....babygates.com

Ok so this is a driveway gate but its big enough
I already have this for the drivewayy and there's no way to install it into the kitchen area. Thanks though
caring4kidsinSD 07:36 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
What about letting them start to eat while you finish preparing the rest? I think a special order gate would have to be ordered, unless you made it yourself?
I also need it to keep them out after lunch while I work on cleaning up the floor - They tend to eat all the crumbs off the floor once they are down. They will even dig under the highchair pads for food - YES I feed them but I have one who prefers to get it off the floor - she purposely throws her food on the floor.
Breezy 09:26 PM 12-12-2011
I have a super gate that is like 12 feet I think? I use it to close off my huge kitchen sometimes and then other times I break it up into 2 6 foot gates and gate off the entrances to my living room. Its from babies r us and was $70
morgan24 04:03 AM 12-13-2011
Could you do 2 retractable, one from each side and hook them where they meet? I like the retractable because then I don't have to set it up and tear it down everyday.
Zoe 07:41 AM 12-13-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
I have a retractable gate from http://www.retract-a-gate.com/ . Mine is 72 inches. Purhaps you could email them to see about a special order gate?

Michelle

LOVE the retract-a-gate! I have one for my kitchen and one for outside. Too bad it doesn't come with a 9 foot option!
Meeko 09:09 AM 12-13-2011
I found long gates, but they never seemed sturdy. In the end I had to do this. We put my file cabinet in the entry and then use a small gate. It means hopping over....but it keeps the munchkins out of the kitchen area.
Attached: 100_0018.jpg (86.8 KB) 
caring4kidsinSD 12:27 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:

Michelle

Question - On the weekends when I don't kids around (or when I have company over) would the end where the mesh is stored come off easily? I don't want a big bulky thing blocking the way.
Mandy_Jane 02:09 PM 12-14-2011
http://toysrus.digby.com/toysrus/pro...tom-Fit%20Gate

This is the gate I use and I love it. It can be extended up to 12 feet long and has a walk through gate. Maybe this would work for you.
daycare 02:19 PM 12-14-2011
I have the one that is posted above and LOVE IT. It is so useful during meal times and pick up/ drop off.

I could not live without it.. When you install it, you MUST make sure that you anchor it into studs with very long screws on both sides.

I got luck. I got mine brand new from a yard sale for $10.00 still in the box. I have had it for almost 3 years.

Only down fall is that the kids try to hang on it. I often have to ask them to get off or to leave the door alone. I train them from day one "we don't touch the gate for any reason" on me...
boysx5 04:09 PM 12-14-2011
I use the super gates in my living room and dining room and they never go through them to get in I couldn't live without the two super gates I bought.
Zoe 05:29 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
Question - On the weekends when I don't kids around (or when I have company over) would the end where the mesh is stored come off easily? I don't want a big bulky thing blocking the way.
Yes it does come off easily. It also swivels out of the way if you want to just keep it retracted. I'd say mine is the diameter of a paper towel roll (empty) when it's retracted.
Tags:gates
Reply Up