Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Gate
momofsix 01:16 PM 08-08-2013
I have this type of gate
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588740@N03/2721185029/
My walls are torn apart because although it is quite tight, it still has a bit of wiggle room. Where the "pressure mount" is the paint and plaster look awful.
I want to Spackle and repaint those areas this weekend. Any ideas on what I can do to protect the walls from more damage? One idea is I've considered is the non-slide gliders that you put under furniture to keep it from sliding. I would love to hear from someone that has experience and knows what will work!
Thanks!
craftymissbeth 02:16 PM 08-08-2013
My gate is very similar to that and it's torn my walls up, too. I'm so tired of it.

I'm curious, too, how you repair this damage.

My solution to the problem was to "train" my toddlers that they may not cross over into the next room without my permission. In the long run, though I'm going to purchase a hardware mounted gate instead.
daycarediva 02:20 PM 08-08-2013
When I needed gates, I installed a 1x4x4 piece of wood that matched my molding to that area. It looked decent, was super easy to remove, patch and paint over (screw holes).
Scout 05:27 PM 08-08-2013
I have the gates with the swing door that you have a pedal to step on to release it and it swings in or out....love it! It has tension bars on top and bottom and I've had it up for years with no problems(unless I come in with too many grocery bags or storm thru it when mad) but, the kids can not open it or pull it down. Maybe first years makes it, I can't remember and can't go look at the moment.
butterfly 11:24 AM 08-09-2013
My pressure gate has little "cups" that the pressure piece sits in. It's designed to screw those cups to the wall and then pressure twist the gate to them. The cups are similar to what a closet rod would sit in, so maybe those would work if yours doesn't have them. ???

Have fun painting.
mamac 11:39 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I have this type of gate
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588740@N03/2721185029/
My walls are torn apart because although it is quite tight, it still has a bit of wiggle room. Where the "pressure mount" is the paint and plaster look awful.
I want to Spackle and repaint those areas this weekend. Any ideas on what I can do to protect the walls from more damage? One idea is I've considered is the non-slide gliders that you put under furniture to keep it from sliding. I would love to hear from someone that has experience and knows what will work!
Thanks!
You could always put up a clear wall guard and corner guards. It's basically a piece of plastic like Plexiglas that goes over the wall and depending on whether or not you have door casings you could also use the corner guards. It's clear so it's not obtrusive and it will make for easy cleaning from grubby little hands, too!
Michael 12:36 PM 08-09-2013
I would find the studs in the wall and use the gate there. You could at least screw something into the studs that would support the gate. You then could always remove the addition or replace it much more easily then replacing the drywall which has no support.

FYI, Studs are the wood supports behind the drywall:

Tags:gates
Reply Up