Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Daycare Injury
Missani 11:59 AM 05-06-2011
Had our first injury today! Thank goodness it was my own child...not that I ever want my own children to be hurt, but I would feel even more terrible if it was someone else's child. My son (2) was playing with cars on his hands and knees on the floor. My older son (4) was standing next to him playing with a wooden drum. He hit the drum a little too hard with the drumstick, and the drum flew out of his hands and landed on his brother's head.

My son cried for a minute and came to snuggle me then calmed down. As I was hugging him, I rubbed the back of his head and was surprised to feel a bump there. So I turned him around, and his blonde hair was bright red with blood! There was a gaping gash about 1/4 inch long in the back of his head.

Of course this happened as I was getting ready to serve lunch, too, so the busiest possible time. Anyway, I frantically called my DH and the pediatrician and made an appointment for right after lunch. I cleaned it up the best I could and served lunch. Then my DH took him to the doctor. He's home with 3 shiny staples in his head, but is otherwise no worse for wear. Poor kiddo! The other kids barely knew what happened, so I guess I did a good job staying calm. Phew, made it through that one. TGIF!!
Kaddidle Care 12:03 PM 05-06-2011
Ouch! Head injuries are good bleeders. You did well! Congratulations! (and hugs to your son!)
squareone 12:25 PM 05-06-2011
Aww, sorry to hear about your little boy. I hope that he heals quickly. How did your 4 year odl react? I hope he wasn't feeling too guilty and could understand it was an accident

Sounds like you did great staying calm in front of the others. Thumbs up!
Missani 12:32 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Aww, sorry to hear about your little boy. I hope that he heals quickly. How did your 4 year odl react? I hope he wasn't feeling too guilty and could understand it was an accident

Sounds like you did great staying calm in front of the others. Thumbs up!
My 4 year old was concerned about his brother, but the first thing he said was, "Oh great, now I'm going to have to go to timeout FOREVER!" It was hard not to giggle a little bit, but I explained to him that he did not have to go to timeout at all (much less forever) because it was just an accident.
dEHmom 07:41 AM 05-09-2011
just be careful with saying because it was an accident. some kids figure it out quickly that if they say it was an accident right after they do something bad, then they won't be disciplined

sorry to hear that happened. how is he doing now?

i had a dck who is walking, but still wobbly, he tipped over by my back steps (they are concrete but a little broken on the edges), and he hit the step on his way forward. big road rash on the forehead. it's all healed nicely, but i was so upset about it. i don't want kids getting hurt here, especially not the face! then last week, he had a nap, and when he woke up he was playign in the living room. dad shows up to pickup, and says "whats that by his eye?" i looked, and he had a little tiny mark near the corner of his eye. looks like maybe he scratched some skin away. no clue how it happened! he didn't even fuss or nothing. i told him if he keeps getting hurt, they will have to stop bringing him here, lol.
Unregistered 07:19 PM 05-09-2011
My son fell and needed surgical glue when he was just learning how to walk. I had just started doing daycare and my husband needed to come home to take him to the ER. I called him while my son was screaming bloody murder and he literally stopped 30 seconds later. He never even cried at the hospital. It worked to get dad home quick and none of the other kids even noticed. And it was too at lunch time. Funny how that always happens at the busiest time of the day.

Good job remaining calm! And I too was relieved it was my own child instead of someone elses in some strange twisted way. = /
Tags:injury
Reply Up