Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Use To Hold Diapers???
Crazy8 06:18 AM 08-22-2011
If you have a changing area in your daycare - what do you use to keep diapers, wipes, cream, etc. - the things you'd need near you during a change??

I am still not happy with the layout of my playroom (posted pics of it here a few weeks ago) and thinking of how to lose the cabinet I'm using for diapers, etc. Maybe something that can go on the wall but not be an eyesore?? I often have as many as 4 kids in diapers at a time so it has to be able to hold a bit but I can keep the extras in my hall closet.
Cat Herder 06:23 AM 08-22-2011
Hanging baskets come in handy.

They meet my regs.

1. Out of reach of children.
2. Not touching the diaper changing surace.
wdmmom 06:27 AM 08-22-2011
I have a shelving unit that hold the fabric storage squares. Works great!
E Daycare 06:33 AM 08-22-2011
I use clear plastic containers from ikea on the shelf below the changing table. Allows me to see quickly if I'm running soon out too.
SilverSabre25 06:51 AM 08-22-2011
As soon as I find new batteries for my camera (today, I hope...) I'll post pictures of my changing area. I have a hanging pocket thing from Ikea on the wall that holds diapers (and cream, etc, if I would need it but no one I have right now uses it) and then for extra diapers, clothes, etc, I use plastic shoeboxes below.
Crazy8 08:12 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
As soon as I find new batteries for my camera (today, I hope...) I'll post pictures of my changing area. I have a hanging pocket thing from Ikea on the wall that holds diapers (and cream, etc, if I would need it but no one I have right now uses it) and then for extra diapers, clothes, etc, I use plastic shoeboxes below.
I'd love to see it! I always hear of the great things people find in Ikea. Our closest one is an hour away, I've only been there once.

Catherder... what type of hanging baskets??
Crazy8 08:14 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have a shelving unit that hold the fabric storage squares. Works great!
do you have one on the wall or on the floor?? I have a ton of those units in my playroom and love them. Thought of doing a 4 square thing of them on the wall but afraid they will stick out too far and I'll bump a kid in the head getting on/off the changing table. I think I need something not as deep as those if I'm putting them on the wall.
Crazy8 08:20 AM 08-22-2011
an idea I'm toying with.... wall is only 30" long so thinking maybe a 24" shelf with wicker baskets above the changing table. Not sure if that would be big enough though for 4-5 baskets.

Here is the area (just bought that tall skinny cabinet thing - but hate the way it looks!!):

so, one long shelf above table on that short wall... yes or no good???
Meeko 08:21 AM 08-22-2011
My husband built a changing table over the tub in the kids bathroom. The sink vanity is quite long. I bought two cd shelves. They are narrow in depth. They stand on either side of the sink and each child had their own labeled shelf with diapers.
SunflowerMama 08:31 AM 08-22-2011
I do cloth diapers and store in my laundry area but keep all the diapers for going home here....

Just a cheap shoe organizer in the back of the door. When the door is open you don't even know it's there. I love it and my licensing rep. thought it was great.
Cat Herder 08:32 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
Catherder... what type of hanging baskets??
I sent you a friend request so you can see for yourself.
GotKids 08:37 AM 08-22-2011
Can your black shelf be mounted to the wall horizontally? You could center the diaper changer under it and have room diaper pail there as well.

I provide diapers for the monkeys in my care so even though I have 8 under 3 I only 3 sizes of diapers out at time and use a normal changing table to store them on one shelf with their clothes in shoe box containers on the bottom shelf.
Kaddidle Care 09:05 AM 08-22-2011
We use something like this only it opens at the end:
http://www.diningandkitchen.com/wp-c...als-easier.jpg

I think it may have 4 drawers though. Needless to say we take older children and don't have a lot in diapers so it works for us. Each child's supplies fit in their own drawer.

LOVE the over the door shoe rack holding diapers and supplies. They would be good for craft things too - you got me thinking!
kimsdaycare 09:46 AM 08-22-2011
I use a letter sorter hung on the wall. It has three bins and I can use each bin for two children if needed. The bins hold 5-6 diapers in two rows perfectly. I refill from their supplies that are kept in cabinets in the entrance area as needed.

You can't see it in this pic, but I keep my wipes on the wall in one of the Cottonelle Flushable wipes containers that comes with a hanger. I have to trim the wipes a smidge to fit, but it is worth it to me for the convenience.
Attached: changing station.jpg (18.4 KB) 
KEG123 10:44 AM 08-22-2011
My changing table has dresser style drawers underneath that I put the diapers in.

I do want to also get a shelving unit of some sort for above the changing table too, but am unsure where to get one that will suit my needs and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
unregistered member 10:54 AM 08-22-2011
I use a tall storage unit from Ikea. It's called Trofast and holds 6 big plastic bins. I labelled each bin with each child's name. I store extra stuff in the change table.
DaycareMama 11:04 AM 08-22-2011
I use a regular kitchen cabinet. It holds 6-8 kids diapers straight across the bottom. The shelf above that holds each childs wipes container. Also fits two extra wipes containers for gloves and one for little "poop bags".

I would also consider (like some one else said) mounting the shelving unit you have sideways above your changing table. I have done that in my bathroom to hold towels and love it!

I also use a shoe organizer like above for my little things and changing mats for each child. Its on the wall right next to the table
Crazy8 01:46 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I use a letter sorter hung on the wall. It has three bins and I can use each bin for two children if needed. The bins hold 5-6 diapers in two rows perfectly. I refill from their supplies that are kept in cabinets in the entrance area as needed.

You can't see it in this pic, but I keep my wipes on the wall in one of the Cottonelle Flushable wipes containers that comes with a hanger. I have to trim the wipes a smidge to fit, but it is worth it to me for the convenience.
OMG, I love that!!!! I am not a fan of the big plastic stuff, LOL, and that would go perfect!! Where would I find something like that??
Crazy8 01:47 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I use a regular kitchen cabinet. It holds 6-8 kids diapers straight across the bottom. The shelf above that holds each childs wipes container. Also fits two extra wipes containers for gloves and one for little "poop bags".

I would also consider (like some one else said) mounting the shelving unit you have sideways above your changing table. I have done that in my bathroom to hold towels and love it!

I also use a shoe organizer like above for my little things and changing mats for each child. Its on the wall right next to the table
I could try mounting it on the wall but would have to remove the door and I'm afraid at 12" deep it is too deep for coming out of the wall - I don't want it to hinder me getting the kids on and off the changing table, you know?
kimsdaycare 02:22 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
OMG, I love that!!!! I am not a fan of the big plastic stuff, LOL, and that would go perfect!! Where would I find something like that??
I had this one from my pre daycare days, I think I got it from a catalog at the time (for cheap!). I see similar things though in a lot of stores like Hobby Lobby or Target. Usually in with office furniture or home accents. It was called a Decorative Wall Mounted Mail Sorter or Mail Organizer or something like that.

And I lied, it is actually holding more like 8 diapers in a row lol.

Attaching another pic so you can see it a bit more clearly. This pic has my wipes holder too.
Attached: changing station2.jpg (24.2 KB) 
Crazy8 08:06 AM 08-23-2011
Ok, Kim... now you have me searching all over for a holder like that and I haven't found one yet!! I found one all metal one that might work but it was about $50 so I'm holding out hope to find something else.

I'm also looking for those baskets that hang on a rod (looks like a curtain rod) - I know I've seen them before but now that I'm looking I can't find them anywhere!!
kimsdaycare 10:57 AM 08-23-2011
Well phooey! Trying to find one now too, I love a challenge.

Linking to a couple of other ideas for ya

http://www.holdnstorage.com/itemdeta...&zmap=WD-92444

http://www.amazon.com/Tag-Seagrass-B.../dp/B002D48YT0

I found one similar to mine doing an image search on an old Collections Etc webpage for 14.99, but it's no longer available You may want to keep checking their site though. I actually think it was one of their catalogs I got mine from.
Crazy8 12:35 PM 08-23-2011
thanks, I did see that wooden one with the canvas baskets but its too long for my space!

I think I'm going to do a towel bar horizontally across the wall the table is on and hang baskets from it. A friend did it in her bathroom and it looks cute!
kimsdaycare 05:40 PM 08-23-2011
I saw picture of that one with the fabric bins mounted vertically as well. I think the baskets can fit both ways on the pegs.
niesen 11:34 PM 08-23-2011
Ikea has a lot of those criss cross wall hangers which can be of great use. you can then hang diapers on them but that would not be that hygienic as you expose them to the open when not in use. They also have those labeled plastic containers which can help you organize things. But if you have no option, shelves you can attach to the wall will be your simplest solution.
Meeko 09:35 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
My husband built a changing table over the tub in the kids bathroom. The sink vanity is quite long. I bought two cd shelves. They are narrow in depth. They stand on either side of the sink and each child had their own labeled shelf with diapers.
Photo explains better. They are originally designed to hold CD's.

Hubby bolted the towers to the wall. Each child has a labelled shelf for their diapers. My changing table is actually built over the tub which is opposite the sink area.
Attached: diaper storage.jpg (231.8 KB) 
Crazy8 08:22 PM 08-28-2011
need another idea... was trying to do something like this but it just doesn't work for something that gets heavy usage - think its better for something more decorative.

now I need another plan. LOVE the magazine/mail rack thing but can't seem to find one. found some cute metal "vegetable" baskets on pinterest but they are $35 each and I'd probably need 2-3 of them.

What other ideas are there for hanging diaper supplies on the wall????
blessedmess8 09:10 AM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I had this one from my pre daycare days, I think I got it from a catalog at the time (for cheap!). I see similar things though in a lot of stores like Hobby Lobby or Target. Usually in with office furniture or home accents. It was called a Decorative Wall Mounted Mail Sorter or Mail Organizer or something like that.

And I lied, it is actually holding more like 8 diapers in a row lol.

Attaching another pic so you can see it a bit more clearly. This pic has my wipes holder too.
OMG! I love this idea! I use plastic 3 drawer organizers as cubbies, but this would be so much easier!! Also, what is the other thing on the wall? Is that your changing table???
sahm2three 09:56 AM 08-29-2011
I use a shoe organizer that hangs on my bedroom door. When diaper change time comes along, I go grab a diaper for each kiddo. Works Awesome! Each kid gets a row so I label each row with their name.

Edited to ad it is a vinyl type thing that is designed to hold a pair of shoes. It holds about 8 diapers in each slot. Pretty handy!
Crazy8 11:32 AM 08-29-2011
I guess I just want something prettier than a shoe organizer. I saw this but its still not exactly what I'd like.

kimsdaycare 01:56 PM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
OMG! I love this idea! I use plastic 3 drawer organizers as cubbies, but this would be so much easier!! Also, what is the other thing on the wall? Is that your changing table???
Yes, that's my changing table. It's a recessed one from Koala. DH was kind enough to let me cut a hole in the wall for a pretty poop station lol!
mac60 04:55 PM 08-29-2011
I use a 2 door oak cabinet my stepdad made me years ago. It has 2 doors, and 4 shelves. Works great, and when closed at the end of the day everything is out of sight. I change diapers on the floor. I have some 3 yr olds that are big and not potty trained and I won't pick them up.
Unregistered 07:10 PM 08-29-2011
I do simple. A plastic under-the-bed container w/ daily stack of diapers for each kid, changing mat for each, wipes, gloves, paper towels. Pull it out, set out the mat, change on the bed. Put it back. It's all portable if need be. Extra diapers stored on a closet shelf. My registrar was impressed that each kid has a separate changing mat.
Tags:diaper - ideas, diaper - storage, diaper changing station, storage
Reply Up