Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Finding Fits Amusing
Stephnrich 05:40 AM 08-06-2015
Why does it seem most parents find it amusing when their child throws a drop off or pick up for? I mean, maybe they're embarrassed so they're giving the little laugh and smirk from that? They're is always at least one kid who screams because mommy rang the doorbell instead of him, or because she couldn't bring in a toy. Every time a child has a fit, the parent(s) acts like its cute. 😳 Anyone else have this issue?
Heidi 05:57 AM 08-06-2015
I think they're embarrassed and unsure about how to handle it once there are two adults in play. Should they be firm? Should they let you handle it since it's your house?

All part of the fun of being a parent or daycare provider!
AmyKidsCo 06:04 AM 08-06-2015
Because they choose to see it as amusing to avoid killing their kid in front of a witness?
CraftyMom 06:06 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Because they choose to see it as amusing to avoid killing their kid in front of a witness?
Yup that's me when my own kids act up in front of people

Except I don't find it amusing in the least
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Stephnrich:
Why does it seem most parents find it amusing when their child throws a drop off or pick up for? I mean, maybe they're embarrassed so they're giving the little laugh and smirk from that? They're is always at least one kid who screams because mommy rang the doorbell instead of him, or because she couldn't bring in a toy. Every time a child has a fit, the parent(s) acts like its cute. 😳 Anyone else have this issue?
I think for a lot of parents, they simply don't know what to do....

Which is why their child is pitching a fit about not being the one to ring the bell.... normally the parent probably gives in (or the kid wouldn't be upset kwim?)

I try to use facial expressions, body language and actions that show I am not amused, nor do I think it's cute when they are having a tantrum.
I will usually walk away and just tell them to come on in when they've pulled themselves together or I will comment that I am grateful the child doesn't behave that way for me during the day.

I don't and won't condone that type of behavior and luckily I have a set up that allows me to let parents deal with their child on their own in the cubby/coat room without disrupting the other kids or having any of it bleed into my house.

I won't assist the parent either as I feel it's their responsibility to manage their child as they are the child's first and most important teacher.

(I also think it's important to mention all my families have been with me for more than 2 yrs so they all know and understand my expectations and share with me the same type of parenting philosophies.)
midaycare 07:36 AM 08-06-2015
I have a dcd who thinks it's great to wait for dcb to throw a fit during dropoff. He wants dcb to be sad. When he is not, he is disappointed. I didn't realize what dcd was doing until this week. Guess what dcd? Time for bye-bye outside!
Play Care 07:43 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I think they're embarrassed and unsure about how to handle it once there are two adults in play. Should they be firm? Should they let you handle it since it's your house?

All part of the fun of being a parent or daycare provider!
This.
I find they are usually not amused, so much as mortified. I also tend to be one who giggles when I'm uncomfortable so I can see where someone might think I was finding the situation amusing.

The way I deal with it depends on the family and how they are usually. I can help out if a usually good kid/family is having a rough day.
If "drama" is the M.O. for a particular family, I handle it as Black Cat does.
Stephnrich 08:08 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think for a lot of parents, they simply don't know what to do....

Which is why their child is pitching a fit about not being the one to ring the bell.... normally the parent probably gives in (or the kid wouldn't be upset kwim?)

I try to use facial expressions, body language and actions that show I am not amused, nor do I think it's cute when they are having a tantrum.
I will usually walk away and just tell them to come on in when they've pulled themselves together or I will comment that I am grateful the child doesn't behave that way for me during the day.

I don't and won't condone that type of behavior and luckily I have a set up that allows me to let parents deal with their child on their own in the cubby/coat room without disrupting the other kids or having any of it bleed into my house.

I won't assist the parent either as I feel it's their responsibility to manage their child as they are the child's first and most important teacher.

(I also think it's important to mention all my families have been with me for more than 2 yrs so they all know and understand my expectations and share with me the same type of parenting philosophies.)
I completely agree with this and think I'll steal your line about the child not behaving this way for me. I think a lot of parents just don't want to be the "bad guy" at drop off, but it just seems crazy when they laugh off their fits. A firm no goes such a long way.!
Stephnrich 08:09 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a dcd who thinks it's great to wait for dcb to throw a fit during dropoff. He wants dcb to be sad. When he is not, he is disappointed. I didn't realize what dcd was doing until this week. Guess what dcd? Time for bye-bye outside!
Oh I hate that for you and the child!
Meeko 12:37 PM 08-07-2015
If it's drama from home...then I expect it to be taken care of BEFORE they come to the door.

I then have rules in place for arrival.
Only parents are allowed to ring the bell. I make it VERY clear to parents that children may NOT ring the bell. It will always cause a problem sooner or later. Mom will ring it and then Sweetie will have a meltdown and want to ring it again. Or one family will arrive two seconds before another and the one who gets there first and rings the bell will gloat while their daycare buddy has a hissy fit....etc.etc. So only adults may ever ring the bell.

No toys from home. Ever. It gets given right back to mom and she gets told it doesn't come back under any circumstances. "Sweetie wanted it" isn't an excuse....

I try to make drop-off as smooth as I can......for me. I am waaay to busy to deal with a dozen tantrums at the door and parents who don't have a clue how to cope with their own kids.
Reply Up