Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Send Reminders About Tuition Due Before Applying Late Fee?
Indoorvoice 07:11 PM 09-11-2015
I send out invoices through email weekly and most of my families just pay it online as soon as they see the email. I have a newer family that has forgotten once already and I waived the fee because her daughter was in the hospital on my payday and I know she had a lot on her mind that week. Well, they were out of town today and I haven't received payment yet. Again. I'm not waiving the fee this time, but wondering if I should text her and remind her to pay before I start putting fees on her account, or is that too nice?
daycare 09:26 PM 09-11-2015
with new parents I do. Also, at the time of sign up I make them sign a temp contract that states : to help you get on track with making on-time payments and avoid late fees your payments are scheduled as follow.

***note all payments are made in advance before services are rendered.

1st payment due on or before xyz
2nd payment due on or before xyz
etc etc

If I am feeling nice, I may send out a little text that says TGIF, IT'S PAYDAY FOR EVERYONE YEAH!!

If your child does not attend on Friday, I highly suggest you drop their payment off on their last scheduled day or care and I will hold the check until the due date. Do not ask me to hold checks past their due date.

after their trial period they sign and they sign on with us, I make them sign a contract which states that they understand when the payments are due and regardless of getting an invoice or not, they are responsible for making ON TIME PAYMENTS.

(I had one family try to tell me, well I didn't pay you because you didn't send me an invoice, which was true I forgot, BUT THAT DOESN'T EXCUSE THE FACT YOU KNEW THE PAYMENT WAS DUE THAT DATE)
childcaremom 01:17 AM 09-12-2015
I send out a reminder, too.

I would maybe send a quick text or email, to remind them that fees were due on x date. If they pay today, the amount owing is x amount which includes the late fee. Late fees accrue daily. Maybe mention that you will not be sending out any extra reminders.

I understand that things happen, but I think it's rude to not pay on time and then make me have to ask for my money. Especially two weeks in a row.
Baby Beluga 09:54 AM 09-12-2015
I do not send out reminders.
littletots 11:14 AM 09-12-2015
I text reminders. Crazy how it's always to same dcp, too.
Febby 01:34 PM 09-12-2015
A center I used to work at sent out automatic text reminders every Friday reminding all the parents to pay. But if the system were to somehow have failed, parents would still be required to pay on time.

Every where else I've been has just set out a reminder sign by the sign-in sheet.
MsLisa 10:54 AM 09-13-2015
I am trying to establish this actually.
I can not seem to get most of these parents to pay ON FRIDAY.
They SHOULD be paying every Friday prior to the week they attend.
But I'll get like 4 to pay on Friday and then some "forget" and pay Monday. Tuesday rolls around and there are like 3 who still haven't paid. Then there are those who applied for our grant or are on CCIS.....its a mess. Its like how do these parents not get this! No matter how I tell them.

We have a late fee we are to put in play but never have. Trying to really snap the ropes on this crap, aka no pay/no program, but they keep finding loops. Ugh!
(Mind you, this is my first time EVER dealing with this stuff)
DaveA 04:44 AM 09-14-2015
I usually send a text reminder if they don't bring DCK on day payment is due or say something when they show up.
laundrymom 06:03 AM 09-14-2015
I do not. I go over everything with them at interview.
It's a bill that has a due date. If not paid by due date there is a fee.
Not trying to be mean. And I hope the families in my program know that, but if not, then it's their misunderstanding/ or sometimes their not caring, about the contract they agreed to.
If they didn't understand it after explanation then they should ask for clarification, however, lack of understanding the policy isn't usually the case.
Indoorvoice 06:34 AM 09-14-2015
Well I sent out two email reminders this weekend - one Saturday and one Sunday. Still no response or payment. They are due to arrive any minute now. In my email I said I would waive fees if payed by Monday morning because they didn't come Friday and she had a confusing week last week due to accidentally paying twice (I know I know, but I'm trying to give her the benefit of the doubt). I hate confronting people about money owed face to face but it looks like I'll have to do that when she shows up
Stephnrich 06:51 AM 09-14-2015
Nope. Payment is due on Monday mornings. I do at least put a "Reminder: Fees Due Today" note in the sign in binder, but that's it.
happymom 08:03 AM 09-14-2015
I think it's a nice thing to do once or twice. I spaced bringing a check completely (once in a 3 year period) and my DCP sent a text saying "hey, I didn't see a check in DCK's diaper bag this morning, I hope it didn't fall out!"

"Doh! I forgot, I'll bring it before the end of the day, I'm so sorry!" from that point on my iphone had multiple reminders on payday just so I wouldn't forget, even if I had a hectic morning!
nanglgrl 11:11 AM 09-14-2015
I have a no pay/no stay policy and my clients pay on Monday morning before care. Every once in a while one will forget to hand me a check in the morning and I will be to busy to notice and so I send a quick text and they bring it at pick up. I don't charge a late fee as long as they bring it at pick up. Also, this is only with long term clients. If a new client did it I would turn them away and tell them to go get payment. I also make new clients pay in cash for 3 months. I am adamant during the interview that if I'm not paid on Monday they won't have care for Tuesday so no one ever tries it.
Meeko 12:27 PM 09-14-2015
My job is to take care of the children...not their parents.

Adults should know when their bills are due..

I am no different from their rent or mortgage. Same amount. Every time. Not rocket science.
Reply Up