Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Do Just School Age Care?
tamarab71 05:37 AM 12-04-2012
In researching my town's current daycare centers, I was surprised to find one home provider who actually was a substitute teacher during the day and only did after school care. I found that very interesting and to be honest it's a very appealing idea to me. Does anyone else do that? How do you like it? Benefits/cons? Thanks.
familyschoolcare 12:13 PM 12-04-2012
I do. Benefit hours more flexible for scheduling family appointments and running errands, work day goes by fast. Con, long days when kids out of school seam really long, less pay per year.
DaisyMamma 12:28 PM 12-04-2012
I've thought about doing it myself. The hours are great, and generally speaking you get more "per hour" to work, but like pp said, less pay per year.

You would get kids who don't require diapers, or a lot of toys.

SA kids love to just play outside and run around. They mostly keep themselves occupied.

Someone else posted an idea a while back to charge the same rate year round for SA kids. So let's say your after school rate would be $75/week during the school year but during the summer would be $175 for full time, then you might charge a flat rate of $125/week year round regardless if it is a school vacation or not.
Countrygal 01:32 PM 12-04-2012
I am in the process of switching over. It would just be a better fit for me, my family and my lifestyle. Now if I can only get enough people on board.....
Soccermom 05:17 PM 12-06-2012
I do School Age only and I absolutely love it!
Pros-
You can do a lot with that age group such as projects, crafts, baking, etc.
They pretty much entertain themselves if given the right, guidance,tools and toys.
They can play outside for hours without constant supervision.
They are potty trained...this is the best one
They can take care of themselves as far as getting dressed and eating is concerned.
They are only in your care for an hour or so in the AM and a few hours in the PM.
You can plan out a routine and stick to it without worrying about someone pooping or refusing to nap....
They can make you laugh and can be very entertaining.

Cons-
They can be sassy.
A large group of School Age kids can be quite intimidating for a first time childcare provider.
You have to tailor your group to make sure that the kids match well together...example - An 8 year old boy would be miserable and hard to deal with in a group with a bunch of 5-6 year old girls or a 10-11 year old girl in a group with 6 year olds would require constant social interaction from you.

Other than that, it is very rewarding. You can become a really positive influence in these kids' lives once you build a solid relationship with them.
Plus you get most of your day to yourself!
I enjoy summers as well because I plan camp weeks and it helps keep me young....it brings back memories from my childhood and it motivates me to keep my own children busy with all sorts of games and activities instead of just spending the summer on the couch
Reply Up