Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Who Won't Eat Anything
Missani 02:10 PM 02-26-2015
Helli, I used tone a regular poster but have been gone for quite awhile. I have a baby in care who I've had since September. She still cries nearly all day, but we are getting by. Until now, mom has brought pumped breast milk, and that is all she will eat. Usually only 5-6 ounces per day here, but mom said she nurses a lot at home. She is now 13 months and won't eat any baby food or table food at all! Mom "isn't able to pump as much" and only brought 1.5 oz. breast milk today. Baby does not drink milk or formula, and won't swallow any types of food. They just brought her in for her 1 year appointment and revealed to me that she hasn't gained any weight at all for 8 months! So now, I suspect mom isn't producing much and even though baby's "nursing a lot" she's not getting much. Mom doesn't want to wean because she absolutely won't eat anything else! Doc isn't concerned and has asked for no weight checks or testing. She's just under 17 lbs at 13 months.

So, now, here's the real question. Baby has been here all day (8 hours), taken only the 1.5 oz of breast milk, and has had no wet diapers all day! I'm not sure what to do or if I am comfortable continuing to care for this child, even though I love her dearly. Any thoughts? What would you do? She's not sick, but the doc has always been quick to blame "teething" or "a virus" for lack of weight gain I the past. And I have tried ALL my usual tricks for getting her to eat/drink anything other than breast milk to no avail.
Missani 02:11 PM 02-26-2015
Sorry, typed quick with her on my lap. Lots of autocorrect on my phone. Sorry!
LysesKids 02:25 PM 02-26-2015
I personally do not want a dehydrated child on my watch... she would go home due to not eating, drinking & peeing. You might have to term because this child is way behind on skills for eating and if she isn't gaining weight, I wouldn't want to be the one blamed for part of it. I don't give a hoot what the Dr says, this child needs nutrition and milk and she isn't taking any, so mom needs to step up and take her to a different Dr or somewhere to get this child onboard with eating/drinking
Unregistered 02:34 PM 02-26-2015
I wonder if she is telling the truth about her doctor... Or she needs a 2nd opinion.
I won't take an infant that won't take a bottle. I know she is 13 months but with her background and her not eating food.... I would just be afraid something would happen on my watch.
NeedaVaca 02:36 PM 02-26-2015
Mom needs to get a second opinion and a new Dr...I would not be comfortable watching a child that has this issue, I would be very worried about dehydration among other things...
KiddieCahoots 02:40 PM 02-26-2015
Isn't this something like failure to thrive?

If so, I would term.

Like pp, I would not want to be blamed in any way for that.
e.j. 05:16 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I wonder if she is telling the truth about her doctor... Or she needs a 2nd opinion.
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't make sense to me that a doctor wouldn't be concerned about a child who hadn't gained any weight in 8 months. Blaming the lack of weight gain on teething or a virus seems like something a parent might do vs. a doctor.
AuntTami 05:58 PM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't make sense to me that a doctor wouldn't be concerned about a child who hadn't gained any weight in 8 months. Blaming the lack of weight gain on teething or a virus seems like something a parent might do vs. a doctor.
Especially since that would mean she was 5 months old and 17 pounds. I just don't see how a doctor wouldn't be concerned. I would definitely ask for a second opinion. And doctors notes stating that she is healthy. Too many red flags going off for me
Controlled Chaos 10:00 PM 02-26-2015
So scary! A baby who cries all day, won't eat/drink...this a medical issue. If mom isn't concerned I would call CPS to get their opinion. It sounds like serious failure to thrive.
Shell 04:09 AM 02-27-2015
Agree, tell dcm she must get a second opinion and plan of action. At her age, she could be eating regular table foods- I know you say bm is the only thing she takes, but could it be an allergy that's been undiagnosed the whole time she's been breast feeding? Poor child!
Unregistered 05:50 AM 02-27-2015
whoa! Crying all day and only eating 1.5 ounces in a whole day at 13 months!?! Serious issue here and I would not be caring for the child until it is eating regularaly and having wet diapers. Mom has a sick (?) baby and she is putting it on you. No way!
cara041083 08:20 AM 02-27-2015
I would sit mom down and tell her your concerns. I would tell her she needs to get a second opinion, and you need a doctors note from the doctor saying what the action plan is or what they think. One of two things will happen. She will get the doctors note for you, and most likely a doctor will do something, or she is lying to you and she didn't take her to the doctor, in which case SRS needs to be called. I would also call your licencor and let them know what is going on. If something happens to that baby you don't want the blame to be put back on you! That baby is malnourished and no doctor out there wouldn't be concerned. They would have done testing to make sure she was able to swallow and find out why she wouldn't eat food. Something isn't right. I have 4 kids. With my youngest they ran so many test on her because she went 2 months without gaining any weight or getting taller when she was 8-10 months. I highly doubt that a 13 month old child that weighs only 17 lbs a doctor would be ok with that. It sound to me like mom hasn't even taking the doctor to be seen. If something happens to that child, not only will they look at the mom, they will look at you because you didn't report it. You need to get something in writing and get a plan in place or term and notify licencing and CPS
Tags:boys, won't eat
Reply Up