Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Know How Far a Daycare Needs to Be from Another?
Shell'skidfarm 11:43 AM 04-27-2016
I'm interested in finding out if anyone here knows how far or close a Family Licensed Daycare needs to be from one another. I would appreciate it so much. I could not find any information online.
sharlan 11:50 AM 04-27-2016
No regulations on that.

My neighbor across the street had one and the house directly behind him is one.
Annalee 11:53 AM 04-27-2016
Same here! There are tons of unregulated homes providing care here....with a few licensed homes around as well and several centers in the mix!
Cat Herder 11:54 AM 04-27-2016
There are no regs for this.
Mike 12:10 PM 04-27-2016
It's all supply and demand. If there are 10 within a block and they are all full, another one would likely also be successful.
DaveA 12:11 PM 04-27-2016
No regulations as far as licensing that I know of. You might run into a zoning/ variance issue if you're in a residential area. That would be completely up to your local city.
Leigh 12:21 PM 04-27-2016
You'll have to check your local ordinances for this. I have one across the street from me and one around the corner.
LysesKids 01:42 PM 04-27-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Same here! There are tons of unregulated homes providing care here....with a few licensed homes around as well and several centers in the mix!
Yep, same here... the only thing is certain counties (like mine) have to sign off on your childcare business if you go licensed and are renting a mobile home lot even though you own the house, otherwise, no regs - I'm licensed exempt & know of a minimum of 6 others within a half mile of me, plus there are the 3 licensed centers within one mile;There was a licensed home in the Park when I moved here 2.5 years ago but she closed...
spedmommy4 01:51 PM 04-27-2016
Originally Posted by Shell'skidfarm:
I'm interested in finding out if anyone here knows how far or close a Family Licensed Daycare needs to be from one another. I would appreciate it so much. I could not find any information online.
You're in my state so I can answer that. There is no licensing regulation. If you're large and require a permit, many cities require a distance of 500 feet. If you're small, you don't need to worry about it.
CityGarden 02:26 PM 04-27-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
You're in my state so I can answer that. There is no licensing regulation. If you're large and require a permit, many cities require a distance of 500 feet. If you're small, you don't need to worry about it.
In California too and this is my understanding as well. Seems like there are more large daycare homes than those only 500 feet apart but..... it is important to know when planning.
Shell'skidfarm 02:54 PM 04-27-2016
Thank you for all the replies, has been helpful to read the many responses.
Thriftylady 03:47 PM 04-27-2016
Far enough that their kids don't wake your kids at nap time!
Tags:california - regulations, competition
Reply Up