Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wants To Start But Wants To Pay Drop-In Rate To Save $ 1st Week....
trix23 04:06 AM 05-01-2017
Prospective client tells me Sunday night at 9pm that she wants to start her child on Tuesday. I feel that's very short notice and told her we can begin Wednesday, as Tues is unavailable.

She wants part time care (2-3 days for $115) but only needs 1 day the first week and wants to pay the drop-in rate ($45). She's obviously doing that to save $, but I don't like:

- the short notice
-her demeanor about it
- the fact that she wants to save $ at my expense when she assuredly makes way more $ than me....

How do i tactfully say what need to say? (That if she wants to start this week, she needs to pay the full rate)?
bklsmum 04:45 AM 05-01-2017
I would tell her that if she chooses the drop in rate for this week then she is stuck in that rate for the rest of the year because that is the only time changes are allowed. My part time and drop in parents don't pay for my paid days off but they are not allowed to switch willy nilly. I allow one change per year and that is it.
LysesKids 04:51 AM 05-01-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Prospective client tells me Sunday night at 9pm that she wants to start her child on Tuesday. I feel that's very short notice and told her we can begin Wednesday, as Tues is unavailable.

She wants part time care (2-3 days for $115) but only needs 1 day the first week and wants to pay the drop-in rate ($45). She's obviously doing that to save $, but I don't like:

- the short notice
-her demeanor about it
- the fact that she wants to save $ at my expense when she assuredly makes way more $ than me....

How do i tactfully say what need to say? (That if she wants to start this week, she needs to pay the full rate)?
I agree with previous poster... I require payment in full regardless if your child attends; either she wants the PT rate or she wants Drop-in, I don't allow changes that flip flop pay.
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 05-01-2017
When the contract is signed, there is space for the parent to indicate drop in, part time or full time.

Once filled out and signed/dated that is the rate the parent is obligated to pay. If she chooses drop in, I'd leave her as drop in.

Here space is NOT guaranteed for drop ins and the rate is 2.5X that of a full time space.

Her choice.
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 05-01-2017
Okay I just read your other thread about this parent interviewing over a month ago and calling now to start....

My spidey-senses tell me she wants drop in this week because she really has no plans of actually being a full time.

She is just using your services until she can get into the program she really wants.

That's usually the situation when a prospective client tours with you, has no contact regarding interest in starting with you but then suddenly calls and needs care on short notice.....

I don't know, call me jaded but she's probably just buying time (using you) until she can start at another program.
Hoping that isn't the case but.... keep it in the back of your thoughts as a possibility.
childcaremom 06:40 AM 05-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Okay I just read your other thread about this parent interviewing over a month ago and calling now to start....

My spidey-senses tell me she wants drop in this week because she really has no plans of actually being a full time.

She is just using your services until she can get into the program she really wants.

That's usually the situation when a prospective client tours with you, has no contact regarding interest in starting with you but then suddenly calls and needs care on short notice.....

I don't know, call me jaded but she's probably just buying time (using you) until she can start at another program.
Hoping that isn't the case but.... keep it in the back of your thoughts as a possibility.

I also don't like when clients are trying to save money at my expense.

I would want to tell the mom that the weekly space is available at $115 starting Monday May 8.

If she would like to have this week as her first week, then the full rate is due no later than x date (I would do this evening) along with completed paperwork and to please note that childcare is not available on Tuesday May 2.

When she balks at that, I would tell her that the full week is due, regardless whether or not the child will be in care. No need to explain or give a reason.

Then I would leave it up to her to either start this week or next, or not as the case may be.
jenboo 07:21 AM 05-01-2017
I always adjust the first week tuition based on start date. After the first week, then they go to their regular rate.
trix23 07:36 AM 05-01-2017
Yeah, I'm going to tell her

that she'll need to pay the drop-in rate every day her son comes
She'll need to submit paperwork and money by 9pm tonight
And that she can begin Weds this week

Going to adjust my policies to only 1 schedule change a year unless they pay full time rate. I don't like the willy-nilly changes, either.

Thanks to all
284878 06:42 AM 05-02-2017
Personally I don't charge for days I am closed, except holidays. So I would give a discounted rate to begin with.

But you need to stick with your policies.

I like the advice black cat gave. She on target for some of the last minute calls I have gotten. The thing I would add is the last minute callers tend to think of you as an employee. As soon as I tell them something they don't like, they tend to change their need for my services. (I have rarely signed last minute calls, the one I have, worked out great)

Personally, I would pass on this caller or plan on an short term stay.
Reply Up