Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with Silent Reflux, Does anyone keep infants with this??
VioletCupcake 09:58 AM 05-01-2018
Hi, I am looking for some advice on silent reflux. I've been doing in home daycare for 8 yrs and have no experience with it (just with normal reflux). I have done some research but I'm still feeling unsure. I wasn't sure how/if providers keep babies with silent reflux. I know I could handle it if she was my only daycare kid, but I'm currently full enrollment wise so there is a lot going on.
The dcg started this week, she is a few days shy of 3 months old. On her first day, the dcm informed me that she had some choking episodes the night before and that morning before she brought her to me. She had called the doctor who explained it was most likely silent reflux. Honestly, I didnt really realize the extent of what it was and I didn't originally realize that this was such a new development - if I had I would have never let the baby stay. The dcm left me with a bulb syringe and told me that she had just been clearing out her nose regularly and sucking the excess of saliva out of her mouth when she starts getting choked up- also told me that the pacifier seemed to help her swallow the saliva and not choke (which it did, except she is 2.5 months old so it doesn't stay in very well). Also, I knew to keep her propped up and not move her around a lot. Dcg had two choking episodes within the first 45 min, I called the mom after the first one to come get her and asked her more questions about everything- which is when I realized that it was a brand new thing and they had no idea or plan on how to deal with it. She took the baby to the ER and they ended up staying overnight to have her monitored. The doctors couldn't find anything else wrong and have decided to prescribe meds to help congestion. Dcg is supposed to come again tomorrow and hasn't had an episode since yesterday around noon. I was wondering what everyone would do? I thought maybe I should have them keep her out another day to have some time to have her at home and see how things go. Or I could let them bring her, but say they would need to come get her if she has an episode. I'd like to try to keep her and not terminate since we don't really know how bad it will be. Any and all thoughts welcome!! Anyone have policies on silent reflux or anything similar? Thanks!!!
Baby Beluga 10:10 AM 05-01-2018
My DS was a terrible reflux baby. We had choking episodes.

Honestly, I could not care for a child with severe reflux. If it was mild, absolutely. But if choking episodes and clearing the child's airway are involved I would not be comfortable with it.

I think I would explain to mom that because you did not have all the info regarding the severity of DCK's reflux you are terming care now but are happy to consider re-enrollment once the reflux is under control.
Homebody 10:28 AM 05-01-2018
My son had silent reflux, but he didnt have choking episodes that involved using a syringe. We just had to keep him upright for 30 minutes after feeding by holding him, using a bouncer, or exersaucer and not put flat on his back right away. We also put him on prevacid.

Like PP I dont know if I would feel comfortable caring for an infant with choking episodes because of reflux, especially if you have other children in your care.
Miss A 10:29 AM 05-01-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
My DS was a terrible reflux baby. We had choking episodes.

Honestly, I could not care for a child with severe reflux. If it was mild, absolutely. But if choking episodes and clearing the child's airway are involved I would not be comfortable with it.

I think I would explain to mom that because you did not have all the info regarding the severity of DCK's reflux you are terming care now but are happy to consider re-enrollment once the reflux is under control.
I second Baby Beluga. My DS also had terrible silent reflux. I didnt even know there was such a thing until I brought it up to his doctor. Luckily we were able to manage DS's case with medication, but he was also being monitored for an esophageal underdevelopment.

If the parent's had provided you with more information, or had an active plan of action to care for the reflux, I would consider working with them. But, because they did not disclose this to you in detail, and they are not yet on a care plan I would not be willing to take on the liability of caring for this infant.
Ac114 12:38 PM 05-01-2018
My daughter had terrible silent reflux as well and several choking episodes but none of them where we had to use a bulb syringe. Around 3 months we put her on Zantac and she was a new baby. She stopped it around 6 months. Is mom willing to try an antacid for the baby? If not, I would probably not care for the baby as it will be too much. Keeping baby upright for 30 after each feeding,
Keeping upright while sleeping, they will more than likely be fussy most of the time because of discomfort.... just some things to consider.
Tags:reflux, silent reflux, zantac
Reply Up