Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Tidy Is Your Home at Interview Time?
NightOwl 04:32 PM 04-07-2016
I'm doing my end of the day cleaning after everyone is gone and thinking about my interview tomorrow right after closing time. It occurred to me that having a perfectly clean home may not be the best first impression.

When my families pick up, there's typically a few toys here and there, dishes in the sink, I may be sweeping the floor, etc. You know, lived in. Not dirty, It just looks like I've spent the day with 6 toddlers.

So, do you ladies have everything tidy and in place when you have an interview right after work? Or do you not sweat the random toys that need to be put away or the few dishes in the sink? Do you feel parents have a preference one way or another?

And if you're a parent going to an interview, would you rather see the home as it truly is at the end of a normal day? Or do you want to see it at its best?

I've always had fantastic luck with interviews. There's only been 2 that didn't enroll that I can remember. And one was by my choice. And my house has been in both conditions, sometimes perfect, sometimes a little messy because my last kids had just left.
Thriftylady 04:45 PM 04-07-2016
My house is never perfect. I am not a good housekeeper. I just stink at it! But I try to keep things clean and safe. My kids that started in January, mom told me she liked that though, because she felt like her kids could feel free to touch things and play.
lovemydaycare0912 04:53 PM 04-07-2016
I've done interviews in the morning and also right after closing. I usually give myself 15 minutes after I close so my place doesn't look a complete mess. But parents haven't minded either way. At least to my knowledge. I feel like they should be understanding and can't expect that you have everything in tip top shop if you just closed after a full day. I don't know if this helps, but if a parent doesn't choose you because of a few toys on the floor, their loss.
hope 05:01 PM 04-07-2016
In the past I have went way overboard cleaning for interviews. I love to clean so my home is very clean but I worried over every little detail right up until the interview started. I had a few parents comment on how clean things were and I got the impression that they thought I cleaned instead of working with the kids all day. I actually showed them pictures that I send to my current parents throughout the day so they can see how "messy" it gets. So now I don't go so nuts and my home looks however it is for interviews.
NoMoreJuice! 05:04 PM 04-07-2016
I do like to make a good first impression, so I clean above and beyond the normal amount. I also like to have fresh baked cookies right out of the oven. Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory, and when they think back about my house, I want them to remember a home. Fresh chocolate chip cookies make a house smell like a home! Oldest realtor trick in the book.
NightOwl 05:08 PM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I do like to make a good first impression, so I clean above and beyond the normal amount. I also like to have fresh baked cookies right out of the oven. Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory, and when they think back about my house, I want them to remember a home. Fresh chocolate chip cookies make a house smell like a home! Oldest realtor trick in the book.
Good idea! I'm off to buy cookie dough.
Ariana 05:11 PM 04-07-2016
This is me too! Sometimes I like having interviews because it is the only time my house gets really cleaned from top to bottom

When we were selling our house I would put a glass of water mixed with cinnamon in the microwave for a couple of minutes right before a showing to get the nice smell throughout. Every time I did it we got an offer on the house! The one time I forgot they didn't offer....might just be coincidence but I don't think so
finsup 05:57 PM 04-07-2016
Generally if I have an interview right after closing, I'll have things cleaned up a bit earlier so I can vaccume and such before they get here. It's not as spotless as it is if I have a weekend interview but it's still nothing that would probably stand out to anyone but me lol. If I was looking I would just like to see things were *pretty* clean. A few dishes in the sink? Some toys out? No big deal.
Oh and interview days for me are also crock pot meals Pot roast or pasta sauce. I can't do cookies because more often then not I burn them and well, that isn't exactly welcoming (not that that ever happened... lol).
LysesKids 06:07 PM 04-07-2016
I set all my first time meet & greets @ or after 6pm... of course that was before I had a 12 hr day little lol. My home is never perfect, but parents can definantly smell dinner when they arrive.

Most my clients are over 85% or more onboard before meeting me because they read my website & policies before contacting me and they know I will never have a spotless home taking care of 4 babies. In fact my website states that I will do most my cleaning AFTER the children leave because infants are a lot of work ... can't set a schedule around 4 littles under 18 months and if you think I can then we won't be a good fit lol
NillaWafers 07:09 PM 04-07-2016
Mine is probably too tidy, hehe. I spend way too much time cleaning for interviews. I always pop some sort of baked good scentsy in, before people show up! So at least I'm doing one thing right!
Thriftylady 07:10 PM 04-07-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
I have been known to throw a loaf of homemade bread in the oven before an interview.
Josiegirl 02:47 AM 04-08-2016
Can I come for an interview?? I'll even bring my own milk.
Josiegirl 02:51 AM 04-08-2016
I try to schedule interviews on a weekend, only because the work days do me in and I don't want to do a thing, except relax, when everyone goes home. So yes, my house is clean. The last dcf that enrolled remarked how clean it was and I said 'that's because I knew you were coming and it's not Friday night'. They laughed and totally got it. Most parents with kids would understand. I never thought about using scents to draw interest.
childcaremom 04:31 AM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I try to schedule interviews on a weekend, only because the work days do me in and I don't want to do a thing, except relax, when everyone goes home. So yes, my house is clean. The last dcf that enrolled remarked how clean it was and I said 'that's because I knew you were coming and it's not Friday night'. They laughed and totally got it. Most parents with kids would understand. I never thought about using scents to draw interest.
This is me, too. Weekends only.

My mom always used to say, thank goodness for company or the house would never get cleaned. I have switched that from company to daycare interviews!

I try to be clean and tidy but I no longer stress about it. Housecleaning is not my forte. I vacuum, mop, dust and do a quick tidy up of clutter. That is it. I try to bake, too, so it smells good. At the very least, we get some muffins out of the deal
MunchkinWrangler 08:05 AM 04-08-2016
Immaculate. But I have a small home so if it is cluttered in any way it looks like a junk pile. But, unfortunately, my bedroom suffers, the unlicensed part of my home, so sometimes before an interview, lots of things get stuffed in there!
daycarediva 11:18 AM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
I put vanilla or orange extract in a coffee cup in the oven on the lowest setting.

I do not bake, and I'm lazy.

My house looks like it would at the end of every day.I spend a good 30m in my classroom and dc bathroom alone every evening. I am a neat freak, can't help it.
Boymom 12:33 PM 04-08-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Immaculate. But I have a small home so if it is cluttered in any way it looks like a junk pile. But, unfortunately, my bedroom suffers, the unlicensed part of my home, so sometimes before an interview, lots of things get stuffed in there!
Mine too! In fact, the whole back part of my house is a mess since I don't use it for the daycare. But the rest of my house is sparkling clean ha!
Nurse Jackie 02:03 PM 04-08-2016
I'm a neat freak so my house it spotless. I also try to schedule interviews on the weekends because after closing I'm tired even though I have the house clean by the time my last kid leaves the floors aren't freshly mopped or vacuumed. I personally have soapy water in my kitchen sink with a splash of bleach which gives a clean scent. I was told not to have my house too clean because it turns parents away but every interview I've given parents always comment on how clean my house is and sign on the spot.
permanentvacation 02:40 PM 04-08-2016
My home/daycare is pretty clean and tidy on a typical basis... except for my desk in the dining room. I used to pick up all of the piles of paper and junk off of my desk and hide it in my bedroom for interviews, but then all of the junk would be back on my desk, in plain sight from the daycare room, on the child's first day of daycare. So I stopped hiding it for the interviews and just tell people that is the way my desk will always look. No one seems to care.
ColorfulSunburst 03:16 PM 04-08-2016
do nothing special before an interview, but I do not allow children leave without cleaning up after themselves.
KiddieCahoots 07:48 PM 04-08-2016
Everything is the same at all times.
For parents...for licensing....for the business as I see fit.
Why would it be any other way?
KristinsHomeCC 08:29 AM 04-14-2016
I like my house to be nice, clean and tidy with some toys out. Then, during my interviews, my son loves to rip off his diaper, run around and climb every possible thing in my house he knows he isn't allowed to climb. I hate interviews

I am so surprised anyone has ever signed up with me! I probably seem crazy!
NillaWafers 08:35 AM 04-14-2016
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
I like my house to be nice, clean and tidy with some toys out. Then, during my interviews, my son loves to rip off his diaper, run around and climb every possible thing in my house he knows he isn't allowed to climb. I hate interviews

I am so surprised anyone has ever signed up with me! I probably seem crazy!
OMgosh. That's why I started doing tours when DH was home because if I'm by myself my eldest is NUTS. Last time I did a tour without DH home he ran around turning off all the lights in every room we went in. Then when I showed her the back he tried to run her over with his bike. This woman had a non mobile infant - she probably had visions of squished babies. No wonder I never heard back from her

My other son dropped a rock on a girls toe during another tour. They aren't that bad during normal daycare though!
Baby Beluga 12:42 PM 04-14-2016
I'm a bit OCD, so my house is always clean. Except during lunch. I'm a messy cook

I did an interview once where a mother said my backyard was too clean and organized.
sharlan 05:13 PM 04-14-2016
I was HORRIFIED at my last interview.

I had been in and out all day running errands and grocery shopping (Sam's and grocery). My dh was in charge. He is of the philosophy that as long as nobody is screaming and there is no blood, all is well. It doesn't matter if every single toy is out or all manipulatives are scattered all over.

There was not a single square inch of clean in my house. Every counter top was covered in groceries. Both sides of the sink was full of dishes. Every square inch of floor was covered in toys. Maybe the bathroom was fairly clean. Actually, the house was clean, just totally cluttered to the max. Needless to say, I was beyond ticked at my dh and couldn't wait for the kids to leave so I could tell him what I thought about the mess.

I had just come back from the grocery store and was trying to get snack going when the doorbell rang. A lady was standing there with a toddler in her arms. She had gone across the street and they referred her to me as they have closed down already.

I told her that I didn't have time to do an interview right then as my house was a mess. She asked please as she needed to start right away.

I guess she didn't mind the mess as she filled out the paperwork and paid me a full week for two days. We have a language barrier, but otherwise, they've been good.

Had it been me, I would have turned around and left. I couldn't imagine leaving my kids somewhere that looked as bad as my house did.
sahm1225 12:21 PM 04-15-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I was HORRIFIED at my last interview.

I had been in and out all day running errands and grocery shopping (Sam's and grocery). My dh was in charge. He is of the philosophy that as long as nobody is screaming and there is no blood, all is well. It doesn't matter if every single toy is out or all manipulatives are scattered all over.

There was not a single square inch of clean in my house. Every counter top was covered in groceries. Both sides of the sink was full of dishes. Every square inch of floor was covered in toys. Maybe the bathroom was fairly clean. Actually, the house was clean, just totally cluttered to the max. Needless to say, I was beyond ticked at my dh and couldn't wait for the kids to leave so I could tell him what I thought about the mess.

I had just come back from the grocery store and was trying to get snack going when the doorbell rang. A lady was standing there with a toddler in her arms. She had gone across the street and they referred her to me as they have closed down already.

I told her that I didn't have time to do an interview right then as my house was a mess. She asked please as she needed to start right away.

I guess she didn't mind the mess as she filled out the paperwork and paid me a full week for two days. We have a language barrier, but otherwise, they've been good.

Had it been me, I would have turned around and left. I couldn't imagine leaving my kids somewhere that looked as bad as my house did.
I would've signed up with you because your house was messy BUT it was clean. Groceries on the counter and toys around mean the kids are able to play. one of my dcm went on an interview at a home daycare and the house was immaculate. She asked the provider how does she keep it so clean when the kids are there and the provider tells her 'oh, I put the tv on and they can play with just ONE toy at a time'. She said she couldn't get out of there fart enough! The provider kept picking things up after the crawling toddler picked them up and put them away.
sahm1225 12:24 PM 04-15-2016
My daycare is the lower level of the home so separate from my living area. I don't do deep cleanings in preparation but I do make sure the place looks good. I do interviews at 5:30 (right when I close) and everything is for the most part cleaned and ready to go.

If it's an interview that I really want to sign up (like perfect hours and age), then I make sure we have something in the oven upstairs cooking for dinner.
Tags:interview
Reply Up