Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Do Grocery Shopping?
Country Kids 11:31 AM 05-29-2018
This is something I have been wrestling for awhile and decided to seek out and see when everyone else does there shopping.

We usually go Friday night right after I close but it's starting to wear on me after such a long night. Plus once we go shopping (my husband does our family's while I do the childcare's), come home, unload put everything away and then we still need to eat. By this time it is 8:30 and I'm just wiped.

I don't want to have to get up Saturday mornings and go because I just want a day not to have to get up and have to do something right away. Plus Satuday's are usually busy with other plans.

What really made me decide enough was enough was Thursday I was admitted into the hospital (I'm ok thakfully) but had to stay till Friday for some monitoring. When I got out of the hospital we came home for a bit and then later that afternoon we went grocery shopping. I was tired and childcare was the last thing I wanted to worry about but we had plans for the weekend and I thought might as well get it out of the way but it made for another long night.

It is just wearing me down and maybe a change would help but I'm really starting to dread Friday nights!
MyAngels 11:35 AM 05-29-2018
I go on Monday directly after I'm off work (4:30). It's the least busy day at the store and my hubby has to work late so I go on my own. I've never grocery shopped with my husband, not entirely sure how that would go
Ariana 11:43 AM 05-29-2018
We either go on Sunday or we go Thursday evenings. The sales here start on Thursdays and some of the stuff if we don’t go right away nothing will be left (like non dairy haagen daz ice cream for $4!)

Maybe switch it to another day besides Friday. Friday for me is my end of week, get in my PJs early and relax day.
hwichlaz 11:45 AM 05-29-2018
Sunday’s are church, brunch, groceries.
DaveA 12:01 PM 05-29-2018
Saturday or Sunday is our "stock up" trip that covers the basics and most of what I need for the home. During the school year we usually go to the grocery store Monday morning for daycare stuff- great way to get kids interested in new foods/ nutrition/ etc. We'll run to the store if we need anything during the week.

Summertime I usually just run to the store in the evening because I don't have space in the van to fit all the kids.
proudmommyofthree 12:26 PM 05-29-2018
I go either on Saturday morning or Sunday. If I don’t get a chance to go for whatever reason, I do Instacart Monday morning and have my groceries delivered to me. Instacart has its pros and cons, but for the most part it’s worth it when I’m too tired to go out to the store or there’s just too much traffic. Where I live , there is so much construction and traffic, it takes me 20-30 min just to drive 2-4 miles. So Instacart it is lol.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Sunday’s are church, brunch, groceries.
Same here..

My DH and I shop (both groceries and other supplies) for home and daycare at the same time.

I just separate items in the cart so they are bagged separately from each other.

DH and I then stop at the daycare and drop off the groceries so everything is already there and ready come Monday morning.
LysesKids 12:56 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This is something I have been wrestling for awhile and decided to seek out and see when everyone else does there shopping.

We usually go Friday night right after I close but it's starting to wear on me after such a long night. Plus once we go shopping (my husband does our family's while I do the childcare's), come home, unload put everything away and then we still need to eat. By this time it is 8:30 and I'm just wiped.

I don't want to have to get up Saturday mornings and go because I just want a day not to have to get up and have to do something right away. Plus Satuday's are usually busy with other plans.

What really made me decide enough was enough was Thursday I was admitted into the hospital (I'm ok thakfully) but had to stay till Friday for some monitoring. When I got out of the hospital we came home for a bit and then later that afternoon we went grocery shopping. I was tired and childcare was the last thing I wanted to worry about but we had plans for the weekend and I thought might as well get it out of the way but it made for another long night.

It is just wearing me down and maybe a change would help but I'm really starting to dread Friday nights!
I go either Saturday or Sunday mornings early; it's quieter especially on Sundays at the stores ( I sleep until 8am on weekends)... I make my list & "clip" my digital coupons Friday nights after babes are gone (especially for the freebie @ Kroger each week). I hit 3 stores in one round trip starting with furthest away & circling towards home (I keep a cooler in the car for frozen/cold foods)... it's not worth driving thru traffic to get to the grocery stores during the week. Worst case scenario, I have Instacart as a back up (Publix is only option), but that's very rarely used now my health is better
Baby Beluga 01:02 PM 05-29-2018
Recently I go Friday night after my own kids are in bed. The store is quiet and I enjoy it. Then Saturday morning I wash/chop/prep everything so it is ready for the week.

I used to grocery shop on Sunday's and prep Sunday night. It was just too much in too short of a time for me to do.
Ac114 01:04 PM 05-29-2018
I do online grocery shopping! It’s the best thing ever. I usually sit down with a glass of wine Sunday evening and spend about 20-30 minutes doing my shopping and pick it up Monday after daycare.
LysesKids 01:09 PM 05-29-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
I do online grocery shopping! It’s the best thing ever. I usually sit down with a glass of wine Sunday evening and spend about 20-30 minutes doing my shopping and pick it up Monday after daycare.
I have that option thru Clicklist, but I don't like some of the produce the pickers have gotten for me lately... there are some good "Clicklist only" coupons thru Kroger if you use the option however lol - Not fond of Food City so I don't use theirs
JBWWCC 01:28 PM 05-29-2018
Friday Grocery shopping. Saturday Laundry Sunday Curriculum and meal prep! I totally understand being exhausted after Fridays. What may help is planning dinner for Friday the week before. Make your family dinner and then you can go shop by yourself (Alone time? Heyoh!) and not have to rush or worry about making dinner when you get back. Then you can just put groceries away and relax .
Josiegirl 02:48 PM 05-29-2018
I'm glad you are okay! Try to find a way to make life easier for you.

Friday night, for me, would be the worst time to get groceries. After working all week I feel like a deflated balloon by then and can hardly stay awake until 8.
I always do it Sunday mornings. Get up and dawdle here, then housework, then groceries.
Country Kids 03:31 PM 05-29-2018
Thank you everyone for your responses! We go to Church Sunday mornings and try to just have a quiet afternoon that day. Saturday's like I said I just want one day I'm not rushed to be up and having to do something. So I'm not sure what the answer is.

Like I said I think the realization of getting out of the hospital and having to go grocery shopping for the daycare was kind of an eye opener. Like there is no downtime from childcare. I even told my husband I was more relaxed in the hospital than I have been in a long time. I slept good, ate good, had minimal interruptions, watched youtube and it was just so nice.
Jupadia 03:46 PM 05-29-2018
I've started doing a click and collect service offered by Superstore. I order them online and pick them up. It allows me to get them done on a weeknight and still have an evening left
Homebody 04:24 PM 05-29-2018
Thank you everyone for your responses! We go to Church Sunday mornings and try to just have a quiet afternoon that day. Saturday's like I said I just want one day I'm not rushed to be up and having to do something. So I'm not sure what the answer is.

Like I said I think the realization of getting out of the hospital and having to go grocery shopping for the daycare was kind of an eye opener. Like there is no downtime from childcare. I even told my husband I was more relaxed in the hospital than I have been in a long time. I slept good, ate good, had minimal interruptions, watched youtube and it was just so nice.
We usually do our shopping on Friday nights too, but I understand the whole being too tired thing after a long week. I just try to keep in mind that if we get it out of the way then we have the whole weekend to do whatever. Sometimes though I am way too tired and we end up going on Saturday at some point, but it always seems to take twice as long on Saturdays because of the crowds.

Sometimes, when we can afford to, we go out to eat on Friday's before we go shopping, and that little down time helps to perk me up and get me in a better mood to shop.
storybookending 04:58 PM 05-29-2018
I plan the menu for the upcoming week every Thursday morning and grocery shop every Thursday night. I used to do Fridays but I was feeling like you and just wanted to be done by the time 5:30 rolled around on Friday. I only shop for myself about once a month and that is never planned and always random.
BumbleBee 07:10 PM 05-29-2018
All of the decent grocery stores are 20-30 min away so I go either Friday evening after work or Saturday morning. Both suck for different reasons.

The grocery stores close by are over priced and/or have mostly outdated stuff.

I'd love to go a different day but right now it's not really an option
Josiegirl 02:11 AM 05-30-2018

Is there any way you can shop a major trip every other week or so, then pick up perishables on your weekly trip so it wouldn't be such a big trip? Or do the online shopping? My local market just instituted a plan where you can go online to place your order and they'll have it all ready to pick up. Are you picking the closest store; have no idea what kind of an area in which you live. I'm lucky because my store is a 2 minute drive from home. I live in a small town so every place takes about 2 minutes.
Annalee 04:44 AM 05-30-2018
I used to get up bright and early every Sat morning to grocery shop. I was home before most were even out of bed, but not anymore. I generally go on Thursday evenings now. I like having Friday and Saturday free. Not sure if this is an age thing or just a priority change.
Ac114 04:49 AM 05-30-2018
Just a random question, but am I in the minority of people who actually enjoy grocery shopping? My husband HATES going with me (when I actually make a trip) because he says I take to long and have to go down every aisle.
Annalee 05:01 AM 05-30-2018
Just a random question, but am I in the minority of people who actually enjoy grocery shopping? My husband HATES going with me (when I actually make a trip) because he says I take to long and have to go down every aisle.
I do like grocery shopping simply because I like cooking and preparing food for others. We just came back from the river and my primary "chosen" responsibility was the food. My dad always said if you feed people particularly your family and your children's friends, they will come back and remain close. I find this to be true because there is something about meal time that keeps us close. This includes those Sunday dinners and holidays with many generations to follow. I am 50+ and can't remember not having Sunday dinner with my extended family. So it has been going as far as I know at least 5 generations. Sorry to digress on this post but sharing my thought.
Pestle 05:10 AM 05-30-2018
I hate grocery shopping, plus I always add 3x what I came for.

So I use Instacart on Wednesdays and Sundays. My spouse has compulsive eating issues, so I gave up cooking for him years ago; he eats out 2-3 times a day when he's at work, and at home he leaves the food I prepare on his plate and pours himself of cereal. So basically I just order the day care food plus 2 percent milk for myself, and I eat what the kids eat.
Annalee 05:12 AM 05-30-2018
Most times, mom and i shop together but would never grocery shop with dh
redmaple 05:38 AM 05-30-2018
I order as much as I can online from Walmart and have it delivered. Then a quick run up on Friday night or Saturday morning to get milk, bread, meat, fruit and veggies.
Cat Herder 06:24 AM 05-30-2018
My DH does the shopping. He goes on Tuesday mornings. He says that is when the freshest cuts of meat and best selection of seafood can be found. They open two hours before I do so I can do a quick trip when he is out of town.
finsup 10:18 AM 05-30-2018
I use Hannaford to go and will put my order in at nap time on Monday's. Husband picks it up on Wednesdays after work and I put it away when he gets home. I can't say I LOVE it because I'm not a huge fan of doing things like that online and sometimes they make substitutions that I wouldn't have chose and I tend to forget more then if I'm physically in the store with things right in front of me. But, I love not having to grocery shop on weekends or bring all 4 kids to the grocery store so I deal with the minor annoyances of online ordering.
CityGarden 10:20 AM 05-30-2018
My current routine...
Friday during nap time: Menu Plan (for daycare and home)
Monday during nap time: Grocery shop via Instacart
PROS: Super easy and great productive use of nap time. CONS: Often disappointed in produce selection chosen and my dd's lunches on Monday are often a struggle and not well put together by my standards.

What I am thinking to switch to...
Friday during naptime: Menu plan
Sunday morning: grocery shop either in person at Sprouts (while my dog is being groomed) or online with Whole Foods Amazon free 2 hour delivery for prime members.
Unregistered 05:50 PM 05-30-2018
I also do Walmart grocery pickup. I place the order Sunday and my husband picks it up on his way home from work on Monday. The best part about it is that I can do the order while actually looking at what I’ve got on hand. It’s actually saved me a lot of money too because I don’t impulse buy.
Baby Beluga 07:42 PM 05-30-2018

Nope, I like it too. I also like to smell my produce before bagging it. I get a mini high from smelling fresh celery
Tags:grocery
Reply Up