Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Attention TX Providers: What Do You Think Of.....
Former Teacher 05:00 PM 04-21-2010
What do you think of the proposed law of dropping ratios? Even if you aren't a center do you agree?

Here is the breakdown:

Current Texas standards
Ages up to 11 months: One worker per four children
12-17 months: One worker per five children or two workers per 13 children
18-23 months: One worker per nine children
2-3 years: One worker per 11 children
3 years: One worker per 15 children

Recommended national norms
Ages up to 1 year: One worker per three children
13-30 months: One worker per four children
3 years: One worker per seven children

What do you think? Any opinions?
hawkfan428 05:24 PM 04-21-2010
I'm not from Texas, but from being an infant provider in a center for 7 yearsI would be thrilled if the ratio dropped to 3:1. 3 is really more manageable. Not that I can't handle 4, but days when we only have 6 babies instead of 8 makes life much easier. And really I think it's more fair to the babies! They end up with extra one on one attention.

From another standpoint, I can see daycares needing to increase their rates so they can still pay their workers, because if you have less kids with the same amount of staff, you're going to end up with less income.
SunflowerMama 06:25 PM 04-21-2010
Well for me I wouldn't be too thrilled...being in TX. Because I am only registered and not licensed I can only watch 6 kids total until 5 years old as it is during the day and my twins are 3yrs old so that only leaves me with 4 open spots.

I feel very comfortable with 6 (all my dcks are over 18 months) and could definitely do another 1 or 2 so if they were to drop my ratio it would definitely impact my income.
Tags:ratios, texas
Reply Up