Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Snow Day Thread...
Angelwings36 06:54 AM 03-06-2012
What do you do when you get a ton of snow in a short period of time in your area? This morning I woke up and there was about half a foot of snow on the ground. I shovelled out the side walks and drive before I even opened this morning but the snow is coming down like crazy. Another inch on top of what we already had in just 1 hour. I live in a residential area that doesn't get plowed I'm concerned if this keeps up parents will have a hard time trying to pick up their children at the end of the day. I only ended up with 4 kids today instead of the 7 booked but I'm almost thinking I should have closed. What do you all think or do in these situations? Thanks.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 03-06-2012
Give the issue back to the parents. Let them know that regardless of the weather your closing time is your closing time. If they feel they cannot get to your house within their normal drive time then they need to leave work earlier or arrange for someone else to pick up their child.

Where I live we have HUGE snow falls as well and since the parents also live in this community they are fully aware of how snow can and will slow people down. Most leave for work earlier in the morning to get to work on time so it is only fair they use the same logic when it comes to the end of the day and getting to daycare on time.

So it snows a lot one day and the roads are bad......NOT really your issue since you have a job that doesn't require you to travel but the parents do so they are the ones who need to figure out the problem.

I know that sounds a bit rough but honestly, we cannot be expected to compensate for eveything that happens in life...kwim?
Meyou 07:30 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Give the issue back to the parents. Let them know that regardless of the weather your closing time is your closing time. If they feel they cannot get to your house within their normal drive time then they need to leave work earlier or arrange for someone else to pick up their child.

Where I live we have HUGE snow falls as well and since the parents also live in this community they are fully aware of how snow can and will slow people down. Most leave for work earlier in the morning to get to work on time so it is only fair they use the same logic when it comes to the end of the day and getting to daycare on time.

So it snows a lot one day and the roads are bad......NOT really your issue since you have a job that doesn't require you to travel but the parents do so they are the ones who need to figure out the problem.

I know that sounds a bit rough but honestly, we cannot be expected to compensate for eveything that happens in life...kwim?
Ditto. We get lots of storms and it's the only way to make them not use snow as an excuse to run willy nilly. The only exception I would make is if we had alot of snow quickly very late in the day. I know how traffic stops when that happens here so I would give a little leniency for those that called me from their cars to bitch about the bridges being backed up.
Angelwings36 07:34 AM 03-06-2012
Thank you for the response. So late fees still in affect? Do I give any lead way at all? Or I just enforce my late fees as per usual?
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
Thank you for the response. So late fees still in affect? Do I give any lead way at all? Or I just enforce my late fees as per usual?
I go about business as usual. Late fees still in effect.

I do, however, give a little reminder in the morning at drop off.

I will say something like "DCM, the snow may get pretty heavy throughout the day so make sure you plan accordingly. I still expect dcg to be picked up at regular time."

That is the only thing I do. It isn't my job to remind parents that weather happens.
Angelwings36 07:51 AM 03-06-2012
I wish I would have thought of this earlier as I didn't give any reminders this morning. Should I shoot out a text this afternoon?
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 03-06-2012
I would. (send the texts)

I think snow can be sucky sometimes and it does impede things to a point but when we all live in an area where snow is common, I refuse to allow it to be one more thing that can be an excuse for stuff...kwim?

In regard to the texts, make sure each parent actually responds that they received it or you will hear a ton of "I didn't get your text" excuses.
Meyou 07:55 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
I just tell them at the interview and it's in my handbook there there are no waived late fees due to weather. We know where we live and what the weather is like so I expect them to be sensible and leave work with enough time to get here.
e.j. 04:46 PM 03-06-2012
I stay open during snow storms. If parents choose not to come, they pay for the day anyway. If I make the decision to close, I don't charge for the day. I rarely close because I can't easily afford it and because most of my dc parents need to get to work regardless of the weather.

Most of them are good about getting here on time for pick-ups despite the weather. Since I've had relatively few problems with late pick ups in general, I'd probably be a little more lenient and not charge late fees to a parent who is late because of weather related conditions.
Tags:late fee, snow
Reply Up