Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Rate Increase

I am going to raise my prices come Jan. 2010. It will be the 1st increase since 2007. How many weeks notice do you think I should give my parents? I think 2 months is to much notice but dont know if if 2 weeks is notice enough. I dont think any of my parents will leave due to the increase but no one can really know.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:25 PM

I haven't done a rate increase myself yet, but I think when it comes time to, I will give 1 month. I agree that 2 weeks feels a little short, however I don't see anything wrong with it. I'd say as long as you stick within the amount of time you require for notice of termination at the shortest, you're doing fine
Old 11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
judytrickett

I increase my rates by one dollar each and every year. I hand out new contracts on December 1st and ask for the signed copy back within 2 weeks. ALL my contracts have an expiry date of Dec 31st for any year.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judytrickett View Post
I increase my rates by one dollar each and every year. I hand out new contracts on December 1st and ask for the signed copy back within 2 weeks. ALL my contracts have an expiry date of Dec 31st for any year.
One dollar per day?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
One dollar per day?
That's one dollar every year...not per day...I think you misread her post.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
judytrickett

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
One dollar per day?

One dollar per day. So, my rate is $35 right now per day. In January it will go to $36 per day.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
One dollar per day. So, my rate is $35 right now per day. In January it will go to $36 per day.
I would have no families if I charged that for a day. My rate increase is from $2.25 an hour to $2.50 an hour or $21 a day (max 10 hours) The parents that will do the daily rate are normally hear 9 hours a day.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
judytrickett

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaboy View Post
I would have no families if I charged that for a day. My rate increase is from $2.25 an hour to $2.50 an hour or $21 a day (max 10 hours) The parents that will do the daily rate are normally hear 9 hours a day.

Yeah, but prices are set my the individual market in your area and the price of commercial daycare. So, in my area I am on the high side but honestly the cheapest rate for home daycare would still be around $30 a day. Meanwhile, in a town only 100 miles away where my sister lives the same care is only $25 a day. It's all about geography.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Unregistered

It is definitely dependant on where you live. I'm in Northern VA and my day rate is $50 and I'm low! It's up to $80/day here.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
That is a great idea...
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

I have it in my contract that I may increase the rate at any time I deam necessary. I also state I must provide at least 1 months notice.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Default Raising rates

Is anyone raising their rates in Jan. 2010? I haven't raised mine since 2006, and mine weren't even raised then, I moved into the city then.
I really feel I need to raise my rates. I have checked around at daycares near me, and large centers, and I am below most of them.
If you are raising your rates this upcoming yr. how much?????
Do you take on part-times?
Thanks!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Director Licensed Care

I'm in my 17th year as a home child care provider.
I've always raised my rates once per year...in January.

However...In the past, I've only increased my rate on NEW customers.
I 'froze' the rate of the current clients.
But...I basically always knew, in my heart...that it was not a good business practice.
Parents who enrolled their child as an infant...potentially would 'skip' 3 and even 4 rate increases by the time the child would leave my care for preschool.
I ended up with clients paying all different rates...

Beginning January 2010...I will increase my rates to all current clients.
I gave them notice several weeks ago, over 2 months of advance notice, IN WRITING.
All of my clients were very supportive.

It's JUST GOOD BUSINESS.

As for whether to charge daily/hourly/weekly rates.
I think you should choose 1...
and I don't think you should allow a client to 'decide' what/how they will pay you.
This is YOUR DAYCARE BUSINESS.
Set your policies.
Set your fees.
And inform your clients what they are.
You should never allow a client to run your business ..
If you do...then what is the point of being 'SELF' employed.
You're the boss.

I state in my PARENT HANDBOOK that my policies and fees are well thought out...and they are.
I compare prices of other area providers....but I also consider what I have to offer...that many other providers do not.
I feel I charge a fair price for the service I provide.

Tags
charging, prices, pricing, rate increase, rates