Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Question Assistant Caregiver Question

While reading through the Technical Assistance document for Michigan Family & Group Child Care Home, I came across the following:

Caregiver responsibilities.
(1) A caregiver shall be responsible for all of the following provisions:
(c) Provide an adult assistant caregiver with valid CPR and
first aid to act as the caregiver when the caregiver is
unable or unavailable to provide direct care.

I am in the process of getting my certificate of registration for a family child care home (up to 6 kids). I have someone who can be my assistant caregiver if I'm unable to provide care. My question is, do I treat this person as my employee and withhold taxes, ect? This person won't be here on a regular basis, simply when I absolutely cannot provide direct care.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 PM

If you will be paying more than $600 a year to someone then they will need to be an employee, not an independent contractor.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 AM

Check out Tom Copeland's Blog. He has excellent advice and information about hiring an assistant, substitute and other employees who may work in your program. http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/.serv...er.q=employees
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childminder View Post
If you will be paying more than $600 a year to someone then they will need to be an employee, not an independent contractor.
No. There is no minimum amount that a person must be paid before they are considered an employee. If you paid a person $1 to help you care for children, this person is an employee and you must withhold social security/medicare taxes. It's only when you have an independent contractor that you must file a Form 1099 if you pay the independent contractor $600 or more.

There is an exception to the general rule that someone who works for you is an employee: someone who is in the business of providing substitute care is an independent contractor.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
No. There is no minimum amount that a person must be paid before they are considered an employee. If you paid a person $1 to help you care for children, this person is an employee and you must withhold social security/medicare taxes. It's only when you have an independent contractor that you must file a Form 1099 if you pay the independent contractor $600 or more.

There is an exception to the general rule that someone who works for you is an employee: someone who is in the business of providing substitute care is an independent contractor.
Thank you for the correction Tom. I just found information regarding this on your blog. One day I will learn to check your blog before I ask questions!

Thanks again!

Tags
assistant caregiver, michigan, taxes