Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Days Are You Closed For Christmas?
dionmartin216 12:31 PM 12-01-2013
Quick question. How many days are you all closed for thanksgiving and christmas?
jenboo 01:00 PM 12-01-2013
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas eve, Christmas and the day after

This year I will be open mon and friday of christmas week. Im hoping my famlies wont need me at all that week but we shall see...
cheerfuldom 01:14 PM 12-01-2013
same as the above poster. I think I will have two kids the monday and friday of christmas, not sure yet though.
melonieb 02:28 PM 12-01-2013
Just Christmas day closed
sunlight 02:34 PM 12-01-2013
After 12 years in child care this will be the most days I'm closed for Christmas. I am taking the day after Christmas and that Friday off, and the following Monday and Tuesday. 3 of my family are gone those same days that's why I'm closed. The other couple of families aren't exactly thrilled but told me they will manage. If I take more than a day or two off at a time I do end up getting flack from a couple of families. I understand that they need to work and I'm there to provide a service. Most of them are pretty good, but those couple are vocal.

I did take Black Friday off and only 1 family asked if I was open. The wife works retail so had to work but I'm pretty sure the dad had the day off anyway. I find 50/50 of my families stay with their kids on days off and the others want the day to them selves.

Hope this helps!!
Annalee 02:47 PM 12-01-2013
Originally Posted by dionmartin216:
Quick question. How many days are you all closed for thanksgiving and christmas?
Dec. 20 thru Jan 1....with pay
JoseyJo 02:59 PM 12-01-2013
Thanksgiving and day after, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Years day only.

I used to take New Year's eve but I switched it out this year for Good Friday
BumbleBee 03:04 PM 12-01-2013
Thanksgiving & the day after

Christmas and 2 days after

New Year's Day

Should've closed Dec 25th-Jan 1st but there's always next year!
Sunchimes 03:48 PM 12-01-2013
I closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, all unpaid. However, I have one family that may need me on Christmas Eve and New Year's Day. Sweet baby, so if they need me those days, I'll let him come. There is nothing I need to do that he would mess up. Even if some family is here, it will just give him more people to charm.
NeedaVaca 04:03 PM 12-01-2013
Thanksgiving and the day after paid. The entire week of Christmas and New Years-2 full weeks paid(mix of paid holidays and paid vacation)
Patches 05:27 PM 12-01-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:413463:
Thanksgiving and day after, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Years day only.
This is exactly what I took off
Meeko 05:29 PM 12-01-2013
Had Thanksgiving and the day after - paid.

Am taking Monday 23rd unpaid and then get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day paid.

I will take off New Years Day - paid
daycarediva 05:40 PM 12-01-2013
I took Thanksgiving and the day after-paid

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Day after Christmas-paid

New Years Day-paid
providerandmomof4 05:48 PM 12-01-2013
Thanksgiving day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. Paid.
jenn 05:53 PM 12-01-2013
I was closed on Thursday & Friday for Thanksgiving.

For Christmas, I will be closed on Dec. 24 and will open again on Jan.2. I used to only be closed Christmas Day & New Years Day. However, I have found that most of the families don't really need care on those days, so I end up with only a few kids each day while the parents have "me time". I usually don't care at all if they send their kids when they are off work, but around the holidays it bothers me. I love spending time with my family, so I don't want to open just for them to have free time.
Scout 05:54 PM 12-01-2013
Thanksgiving closed
Christmas Eve open til 3pm
Chistmas day closed
New Years Eve open til 4:30
New Years Day closed.

I would love the day after Christmas off. Maybe next year!
Kimskiddos 06:30 PM 12-01-2013
Contracted days off (paid)
Thanksgiving and day after
Christmas Day
New Years Day

This year I will be closed with pay from Dec 24-Jan 1!! As nearly all my families are off then and the one that had to work the 30 & 31st were more than happy to take days off. Think they were going to use the excuse that dc was closed to get the days off. ;o)
Crazy8 08:27 PM 12-01-2013
my paid holidays are: thanksgiving and day after, xmas eve and xmas day and also new years eve and new years day. Feels like a lot and I almost feel guilty, then I remember my next paid day off is Memorial Day and the guilt goes away.
LittleHandsBigHearts 09:14 PM 12-01-2013
We are open 365 days a year, thankfully we didnt have any children thanksgiving day but we did do a special for that night. Hopefully no kids for christmas but we will see.
SilverSabre25 09:32 PM 12-01-2013
T-day and day after.

Then closed from Dec 23 until Dec 27.
Cradle2crayons 12:18 AM 12-02-2013
I'm closed thanksgiving day, Christmas Day, and the Saturday before Christmas. All three paid.
MsLaura529 04:14 AM 12-02-2013
I was closed on Thanksgiving and the day after. For Christmas, I was only planning on being closed Christmas Eve and Christmas day ... however, it turns out no one will be coming on that Monday and THursday as well, so I get almost a whole week off.
MotherNature 05:34 AM 12-02-2013
I took Thanksgiving week off as paid vacation. I'm taking Xmas week-Jan 2 off as paid as well.
SSWonders 07:25 AM 12-02-2013
I was closed Thanksgiving and the day after. Thanksgiving paid. The day after unpaid. I will be closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Both paid. I'm open on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
e.j. 10:52 AM 12-02-2013
I'm closed Thanksgiving Day (paid) and the day after since I'm closed on Fridays. I close early on Christmas Eve (noon) and am closed on Christmas Day. Both are paid. I'm on unpaid vacation from the day after Christmas thru New Year's Day.
melilley 11:12 AM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas eve, Christmas and the day after

This year I will be open mon and friday of christmas week. Im hoping my famlies wont need me at all that week but we shall see...
Same here! And I hope mine won't need me either...shhh
dalman 11:26 AM 12-02-2013
It is the first time in 27 years that I am actually closing and taking my vacation time (as per the contract). Historically, I have remained open and supplied a paid helper to run the daycare while I am gone. This year, I am closing December 20th through January 5th. Four of the days are paid holidays and six are the remaining vacation days for 2013. I spelled it all out In a memo and heard not a peep for anyone.
jenboo 12:15 PM 12-02-2013
oh I am also talking the whole week of news year off (only new years day paid). Its my anniversary so I will be taking this week off every year
jenboo 12:43 PM 12-02-2013
oh I am also talking the whole week of news year off (only new years day paid). Its my anniversary so I will be taking this week off every year
blessed mom 01:57 PM 12-02-2013
Thanksgiving and the day after are holidays for me
Christmas eve and day are holidays.
This year I'm taking three vacation days Christmas week!
I have the whole week off!!!!
Three more weeks!! Can't wait!!!
Tags:christmas break, closed for the holidays
Reply Up