Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:28 PM
NorthernMNgal's Avatar
NorthernMNgal NorthernMNgal is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 38
Default DCG hit with swing

It was a rough day. We were playing outside and the kids were all done swinging and standing around it when my 4 year old son swung the empty swing. It hit DCG who is 15 months right in the lip! She had a split lip and I just feel so awful. This is the daughter of a friend of mine and she's been hurt here before when she fell and cut open her forehead. I just want to wrap her in bubble wrap!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:33 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal View Post
It was a rough day. We were playing outside and the kids were all done swinging and standing around it when my 4 year old son swung the empty swing. It hit DCG who is 15 months right in the lip! She had a split lip and I just feel so awful. This is the daughter of a friend of mine and she's been hurt here before when she fell and cut open her forehead. I just want to wrap her in bubble wrap!
awe...I am so sorry to hear that....that is why they are called accidents. I hope everything is ok. Shake it off and just make sure you let the parents know what you are doing to prevent that from happening again.

I don't have swings for that very reason...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
awe...I am so sorry to hear that....that is why they are called accidents. I hope everything is ok. Shake it off and just make sure you let the parents know what you are doing to prevent that from happening again.

I don't have swings for that very reason...
That is why I have never and will never have swings in daycare. That happens so quickly and easily. We do go to the park with swings, and I still fear it there. Don't feel so bad though, you really couldn't have done anything. All you can really do is try to educate the kids, but kids will be kids when it comes to doing things without thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:40 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
That is why I have never and will never have swings in daycare. That happens so quickly and easily. We do go to the park with swings, and I still fear it there. Don't feel so bad though, you really couldn't have done anything. All you can really do is try to educate the kids, but kids will be kids when it comes to doing things without thinking.
yeah we go to the park too and the way they have the swings set up, I have yet to see a kid get hit by one, but i also don't take any chances. I love the swings at the park, but the kids know the rules about them and I always stand by them to prevent any child at the park getting hit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM
NorthernMNgal's Avatar
NorthernMNgal NorthernMNgal is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 38
Default

I have taken the swings off of the set and will only be putting them up for a set amount of time per day when I will make sure the other kids are away from the swing set. I'm kind of regretting get the damn swing set now. I watched it happened. It was like slow motion. Tried yelling at my son to stop but it was too late.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:55 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal View Post
I have taken the swings off of the set and will only be putting them up for a set amount of time per day when I will make sure the other kids are away from the swing set. I'm kind of regretting get the damn swing set now. I watched it happened. It was like slow motion. Tried yelling at my son to stop but it was too late.
dont beat yourself up.. kids do things like this all the time without thinking because they really don't see the consequence of doing it. I would take them off or put them up high when not in use so this does not happen again.

how is DCG doing?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal View Post
I have taken the swings off of the set and will only be putting them up for a set amount of time per day when I will make sure the other kids are away from the swing set. I'm kind of regretting get the damn swing set now. I watched it happened. It was like slow motion. Tried yelling at my son to stop but it was too late.
Well your son, your house I am guessing he got used to playing alone and doing that was no big deal. Cut yourself some slack, and your son also. Things happen.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 PM
NorthernMNgal's Avatar
NorthernMNgal NorthernMNgal is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
dont beat yourself up.. kids do things like this all the time without thinking because they really don't see the consequence of doing it. I would take them off or put them up high when not in use so this does not happen again.

how is DCG doing?
Mom says she's doing ok. Swelling went down and she's treating it with coconut oil and lavender oil. DCG's Mom is a friend of mine and is usually pretty easy going so that helps. We were joking that she should wear a catcher's mask since it's always her sweet little face that gets injured.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,166
Default

Unless all you give the kids are foam blocks, accidents will happen and sometimes there is no preventing them. And even then, they can trip on their own 2 feet. I'm glad dcm was understanding, that certainly helps. It's especially hard in multi-age groups because you want(have) to offer different things for different groups.

Give yourself a hug and have a better day today!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,542
Default

I find it sad that so many of you removed the swings because of kids getting hurt.

I'm sorry but getting hurt is part of growing up. Swings are a vital part of a playground and not something that should be limited because on child who really shouldn't have been allowed to be standing near the swings in the first place got hurt.

I teach my littles from the very beginning to not go near the swings while others (older kids) are using them. It doesn't take long and is really easy to do.

I have 10-12 kids daily from infancy to age 5 (with a majority of my kids being 2-4) and I don't have many instances of kids getting hit by swings. We go over play ground rules every day before we go outside and use plenty of reminders when we are outside. If a smaller child walks near the swing set, they are immediately redirected and told no. No differently than if they were walking toward the road or somewhere else just as dangerous.

I just think that pretty soon, there will be no playground equipment and nothing to do outside so everyone will either just stand around outside or stop going out all together.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I find it sad that so many of you removed the swings because of kids getting hurt.

I'm sorry but getting hurt is part of growing up. Swings are a vital part of a playground and not something that should be limited because on child who really shouldn't have been allowed to be standing near the swings in the first place got hurt.

I teach my littles from the very beginning to not go near the swings while others (older kids) are using them. It doesn't take long and is really easy to do.

I have 10-12 kids daily from infancy to age 5 (with a majority of my kids being 2-4) and I don't have many instances of kids getting hit by swings. We go over play ground rules every day before we go outside and use plenty of reminders when we are outside. If a smaller child walks near the swing set, they are immediately redirected and told no. No differently than if they were walking toward the road or somewhere else just as dangerous.

I just think that pretty soon, there will be no playground equipment and nothing to do outside so everyone will either just stand around outside or stop going out all together.


My kids LOVE the swings!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Martha Stewart's Avatar
Martha Stewart Martha Stewart is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: US
Posts: 73
Default

Kids get busted lips all the time. I have a little fella who likes to run with little people in his mouth, just the other day he wiped out hard and split his lip pretty bad. His older brother is the only child in 10 years that I've had to call a parent to come retrieve because he needed stitches in his face....he was running and ran into an empty swing.

Parents understand (or at least they should) when children get hurt.

I am also a little sad for all of you who have removed or won't use the swings. Bigger kids absolutely love using them and they are great for teaching some gross motor coordination!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I find it sad that so many of you removed the swings because of kids getting hurt.

I'm sorry but getting hurt is part of growing up. Swings are a vital part of a playground and not something that should be limited because on child who really shouldn't have been allowed to be standing near the swings in the first place got hurt.

I teach my littles from the very beginning to not go near the swings while others (older kids) are using them. It doesn't take long and is really easy to do.

I have 10-12 kids daily from infancy to age 5 (with a majority of my kids being 2-4) and I don't have many instances of kids getting hit by swings. We go over play ground rules every day before we go outside and use plenty of reminders when we are outside. If a smaller child walks near the swing set, they are immediately redirected and told no. No differently than if they were walking toward the road or somewhere else just as dangerous.

I just think that pretty soon, there will be no playground equipment and nothing to do outside so everyone will either just stand around outside or stop going out all together.
Kids will get hurt but I will do everything I can to keep them safe when they are with me. I have a Backyard probably the size of your living room. Heck probably smaller.
I offer so many other thing its not noticed. It's not sad it's just not necessary.
I can't possibly lay offer them every experience

However. Even if I had a huge backyard I wouodnt get swings. That's just me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where Can I Buy A Toddler Swing? Indianadaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 11-10-2014 09:03 AM
Swing Sets? butterfly Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 05-08-2014 01:09 PM
Four Month Old Baby Used To Sleeping In Swing Neekie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 03-01-2013 10:52 PM
Daycare Using Swing To Put Baby To Sleep familyschoolcare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 05-27-2012 05:18 PM
Ground Cover For Swing Set Lilbutterflie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 42 04-07-2011 03:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming