Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>12 Month Old Hit Head
Baby Beluga 12:24 PM 12-02-2016
Sigh. 12 month old is in his second week here. He was redirected outside, didn't like it and it ended in a tantrum. I removed him from the grass and sat him on the patio with me. He arched his back, flung himself backward and hit his head on the concrete floor He has no signs of injury - but I still HATE sending home ouch reports.
happymom 02:29 PM 12-05-2016
As a parent of a 13 month old who is sent home with 1-3 ouch reports a week, we understand

We KNOW these little guys are crazy, unpredictable, and not cautious. On Friday at pick up my kid had not one but TWO ouch reports, on the same day. Then they come home and do the same type of stuff with us, it's not a big deal.
Pestle 10:02 AM 12-07-2016
Do you send reports for banged heads with no sign of injury and when the crying ends quickly? Because my 20mo bangs his head 2-3 times a day right now (since I had a house fire, I'm doing it nanny-style out of his house for another couple of weeks, and they are NOT child-proof).
daycarediva 11:08 AM 12-07-2016
I only send home reports for marks. Anything else seems excessive and unnecessary, with the exception being reports for head bumps. ANY and all.
Pestle 11:22 AM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I only send home reports for marks. Anything else seems excessive and unnecessary, with the exception being reports for head bumps. ANY and all.
Good thought. I'll just have to keep a running tally.
daycarediva 11:25 AM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Good thought. I'll just have to keep a running tally.
Just mark his head with an X. If a bruise appears anywhere under an X, it happened here.
Pestle 11:27 AM 12-07-2016
Just mark his head with an X. If a bruise appears anywhere under an X, it happened here.
I love it!
Baby Beluga 07:15 PM 12-08-2016
that's too funny!

Usually I only send home a report for things that leave a mark. Although this little man didn't fall far (he was sitting down, so maybe 12 inches?) he hit the back of his head on concrete. If a bruise/bump/etc developed later I wanted mom to know what happened.
ColorfulSunburst 08:05 PM 12-08-2016
If I know that a child is able to make a tantrum, I don't let him sit on a floor when (s)he is upset. I put him on a chair. Kids are not stupid and they know that falling down from a chair can be very painful and don't do it.
Pestle 04:57 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
If I know that a child is able to make a tantrum, I don't let him sit on a floor when (s)he is upset. I put him on a chair. Kids are not stupid and they know that falling down from a chair can be very painful and don't do it.
I wouldn't deliberately put a child into a situation where I know they're likely to hurt themselves. You're lucky if none of the kids you're responsible for have emotions that sometimes overrule their ability to think abstractly. I am not in that situation.
Baby Beluga 05:52 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
Out of curiosity, when you say chair do you mean a strapped high chair, child size chair or adult chair?

I think using the chair is dependent on the child. With my own child when she was younger and had fits she sat in a kitchen chair (while myself or DH stood nearby). She hated it and using the chair stopped the fits in their tracks. Plus, if she fell and got hurt the repercussions would be much different as we were her parents.

This little one is wild. He is destructive and from what I can tell is the type of child to hurt himself when angry. Sort of like the adult who will cut of their own nose to spite their face. I would never put this child in a chair that doesn't have a 5-point harness as I know he would flail, climb, try to stand, fall and get seriously injured. As it is he is not allowed to sit at our child sized table and chairs for activities because he stands on them.

I did not put him on the patio thinking he would fling himself backward and get hurt. When outside if someone needs to sit out, the patio is where they go. However to prevent this from happening again I now have two layers of foam tiles out there. That is his special spot should he decide to have a fit while outside. While on the tiles he can fling himself backward until his heart is content and not get hurt (not that I would encourage this).
ColorfulSunburst 07:35 PM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Out of curiosity, when you say chair do you mean a strapped high chair, child size chair or adult chair?
a child size chair.

I always am near a child and can catch him if he starts falling down but no one does.
ColorfulSunburst 07:42 PM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I think using the chair is dependent on the child..
sure.
Ariana 09:48 AM 12-12-2016
I termed a tantrumming 18 month old for repeated head hitting. I had hard ceramic tile at the time and no way was I having that as a liability on my watch.
Tags:injury
Reply Up