Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Developmentally Appropriate Feeding Skills

Google is not helping! Is it developmentally appropriate for a 2 year old to still be flipping the spoon or fork upside down before it enters his mouth so that he can scrape the food off with his tongue instead of upper lip? Is this something you would work on, or ignore? If I try to correct him or model he gets mad and refuses the rest of his meal. We do have appropriate toddler utensils. If you would work on it,what kinds of things would you do? We do lots of scooping activities and fine motor stuff and he does it then too. Crayons and pencils are always held with an upside grip as well. Not sure if I'm just fighting a battle that doesn't matter at this point. It just bothers me because the 1 year old uses silverware better than him and makes less of a mess.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:02 PM

Actually, it is a normal eating style. I was the only one not eating that way in a restaurant overseas recently. I felt very awkward. The way the butter knife was used was fascinating wizardry as well. How do the parents eat at home?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT
Old 02-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Actually, it is a normal eating style. I was the only one not eating that way in a restaurant overseas recently. I felt very awkward. The way the butter knife was used was fascinating wizardry as well. How do the parents eat at home?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT
Thanks for that input! He doesn't eat nearly as delicately, but I'll take it! His style is more of a 'open mouth as wide as you can with as much on the utensil as possible,spill half of it down your front, then sloppily twist the utensil in your mouth while scraping your teeth' method. I've never seen his parents eat,but I suspect they still spoon feed him. He is very much a babied little guy.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

Honestly, I'd just be happy that a 2 yr old is using a utensil! I have a 2.5 yr old who still eats almost everything - including cereal in milk - with her hands.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:52 PM

I think its just indicative of an immature utensil user! He will get there. I have an 18 month old who canít use a fork yet and she is also VERY babied at home
Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Honestly, I'd just be happy that a 2 yr old is using a utensil! I have a 2.5 yr old who still eats almost everything - including cereal in milk - with her hands.
I have this child too. I don't think she had ever seen a utensil until she started with me a couple months ago.

Tags
developmentally appropriate, eating habits, feeding styles, skills - feeding