Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flu Question
Unregistered 03:02 PM 02-22-2011
I have an 19 month old dcg that I sent home on Monday with a fever of 100.8. Mom takes her to doc (Monday) and doc said her temp is only 99.1 but doc says she has flu. Not sure if Mom gave girl meds before she took her to doc.. but I checked her temp 3 times before Mom picked up and she had a fever of 100.5 then 100.8. Well, I just talked to Mom and she said that dcg ate fine, sleep fine and hasn't ran a fever at all today. She just has a runny nose but that doc thinks she has flu. Now my contract states ....

Please do not bring your child to care sick. If you are not sure if your child is well enough to attend child care call and discuss it with me. Do not mask your child’s symptoms with over-the-counter medications and bring them to care.
Your child may be brought to care if they have a common cold (which means a slight cough, clear runny nose, sneezing); however I will call you if your child is just plain miserable (whining, crying, repeatedly asking for you). Your child should not attend if they are not feeling well enough to participate in our daily activities.

The following criteria will be considered in determining if your child should attend/be sent home:
• Fever (100 °F or higher) – must be fever free for 24 hours without the aid of medication
• Diarrhea – symptom free for 24 hours without the aid of medication
• Vomiting - symptom free for 24 hours without the aid of medication
• Rash –Check with Doctor
• Discharge from eyes or ears
• Lice –Child needs to be treated and nits removed before return
• Communicable Diseases – chicken pox, measles, mumps, conjunctivitis (pink eye), influenza, etc.. The child may return when the incubation and contagious period is passed. Plus the child has to be symptom free for 24 hours and the child has to be well enough to resume normal child care activities.

I asked Mom if Doc told her how long she's contagious for and she said No. Do I allow dcg back tomorrow? If not how long until she can come back?
nannyde 03:44 PM 02-22-2011
No

If she has a temp in your home over 100 I would exclude for 24 hours.

Did she get a note from the Dr stating she was NOT contagious? If not, ask for a medical release so YOU can call her Doc office and talk to them directly or have her Doc office call you BEFORE the child returns. Make sure you let them know that there are children in the day care who have NOT been around the child so when she returns she will be with children who have NOT been exposed.

You can only go on what YOU know. You KNOW she had a fever in your home. It doesn't matter whether the Doctor said she could return or not. What you need from the Dr is whether or not they believe the child is contagious and the diagnosis.

I've never heard of a "flu" that wasn't contagious. I think the Mom is just giving you words. Is there a chance that she didn't even go to the Doctor?

There's no point in having illness policies if the parents can just say words to you that make you change them. Saying the kid is not contagious and had no symptoms of any kind of illness while in their care doesn't change the fact that she has definitely had a fever while in your care. Even if the Mom is telling the complete truth of the time the child is with her it doesn't change the symptoms you KNOW she had during the day.

You may be a victim of parental lying. It's a really serious problem in child care and it needs to be considered in this situation. When you are talking about whether or not a sick kid can come to care you are really talking about money. Saying words to you is free. Keeping their sick kid home looses them money.
Unregistered 04:55 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No

If she has a temp in your home over 100 I would exclude for 24 hours.

Did she get a note from the Dr stating she was NOT contagious? If not, ask for a medical release so YOU can call her Doc office and talk to them directly or have her Doc office call you BEFORE the child returns. Make sure you let them know that there are children in the day care who have NOT been around the child so when she returns she will be with children who have NOT been exposed.

You can only go on what YOU know. You KNOW she had a fever in your home. It doesn't matter whether the Doctor said she could return or not. What you need from the Dr is whether or not they believe the child is contagious and the diagnosis.

I've never heard of a "flu" that wasn't contagious. I think the Mom is just giving you words. Is there a chance that she didn't even go to the Doctor?

There's no point in having illness policies if the parents can just say words to you that make you change them. Saying the kid is not contagious and had no symptoms of any kind of illness while in their care doesn't change the fact that she has definitely had a fever while in your care. Even if the Mom is telling the complete truth of the time the child is with her it doesn't change the symptoms you KNOW she had during the day.

You may be a victim of parental lying. It's a really serious problem in child care and it needs to be considered in this situation. When you are talking about whether or not a sick kid can come to care you are really talking about money. Saying words to you is free. Keeping their sick kid home looses them money.
I guess her temp is 99 tonight. I don't think Mom and Dad care really about money as I just had to close tomorrow because my own son is now running a fever of 102.3 and they told me to keep the $ for tomorrow (as I told them I would reimburse). I have a feeling they didn't take her to doctor and I will be asking for a medical release or doc note from now on. Lesson learned... and I'm glad I'm closed tomorrow because she would have exposed more children in my care (as I have 2 that haven't been here sense last week).

Thank You Nannyde!
Tags:fever, flu
Reply Up