Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddlers and not eating
blueclouds29 07:52 AM 04-13-2012
Would do you do in a case where young toddlers ( 19 months) aren't eating at snack or lunch. You can't make anyone eat and they def don't understand they'll be hungry in an hour. We have snack at 930, if he doesn't eat by 10:30 the screaming starts and he's hungry for lunch (1115). Is this something they just have to deal with and realize or is there something you guys do to get them to eat.
I'm def not bring out 10 different snacks for him, he get what everyone else eats and that's it.
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 04-13-2012
Stick to your schedule and offer what you offer ONLY when you offer it. Don't stray outside your normal meal times.

If they are screaming because they are hungry then they are learning an important lesson. Eat when it is offered or be hungry. I know it is hard to listen to a screaming child but I would definitley use the opportunity to teach them about meal/snack times.

During meal/snack times remind them that there will be no other foods offered until the next time. Say things like, remember how hungry you were the last time you didn't eat. etc.

I know they don't necessarily understand 100% of that but they will get it as long as you continue to be consistent and firm about it. It just takes time and patience. Especially if the parents are giving in any time and not foloowing meal/snack times. It really doesn't take long though for a child to figure it out if you just stay calm, consistent and routine about it all.

Hang in there....
daycare 08:04 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
Would do you do in a case where young toddlers ( 19 months) aren't eating at snack or lunch. You can't make anyone eat and they def don't understand they'll be hungry in an hour. We have snack at 930, if he doesn't eat by 10:30 the screaming starts and he's hungry for lunch (1115). Is this something they just have to deal with and realize or is there something you guys do to get them to eat.
I'm def not bring out 10 different snacks for him, he get what everyone else eats and that's it.
I have one like this too, but belive this. The kid can go all day with no food or drink. Yup the kid would refuse to eat or drink anything all day long. You would think that if they didnt eat at one meal, they would eat at the next. This child is 2 and has been doing this for a really long time.

I talked to the parents to find out that they cave in and give DCK cookies and candies if he refuses to eat his regular food. Now I know why this kid wont eat while here. I had to throw all of the DCK food in the blender with honey so that I could get DCK to eat.

I would do as cat said. DO NOT let the child dictate your eating schedule. The child will learn that they need to eat when it is time to eat.
blueclouds29 08:04 AM 04-13-2012
Thanks, it does get fusterating and i def don't want to stray off schedule. Mom also said he hasn't been eating at home. So its just not here. Thanks for your help!
daycare 08:08 AM 04-13-2012
Thanks, it does get fusterating and i def don't want to stray off schedule. Mom also said he hasn't been eating at home. So its just not here. Thanks for your help!
this is the same for me too. I highly recommend trying to put all of the food in some yogurt, add some honey and milk. I got my DCK eating after almost 3 straight weeks of not eating anything while here.

try your best not to get frustrated in front of the DCK the child will soon learn that there are negative ties to eating. I know how hard it is to do that, but try your very best.

Where does the child sit when they eat? Do they sit with the rest of the kids or in a high chair?

Have you tried to play games like, look here comes the airplane??
MrsB 08:22 AM 04-13-2012
What time does the boy eat breakfast at home? I have problems with one of my 3 year olds that doesnt get here until 10 and usually eats breakfast in the car on the way here, so 1130 lunch she wouldnt eat much but by afternoon snack time was irritable and suffering from low blood sugar syndrome! I basically had to tell her parents she needed to eat breakfast a little sooner or else I wouldnt be able to accomodate the 10am arrival.

I always accept abnormal arrival/departure times but only if it doesnt interfere with my normal eating napping schedule.

No matter what the reason, you are doing the right thing. I would stick to your schedule and he will eventually adjust.
blueclouds29 08:29 AM 04-13-2012
He sits in a booster seat on the floor next to the kids at the picnic table. He used to be a great eater! Ate everything off his plate. This is a new thing this week.
It just could possibly be a phase his body is going through, but its fusterating cause he's so young and doesn't talk.
Right now i'm only giving him little plate fulls so i don't waste a huge plate on him! LOL
daycare 08:36 AM 04-13-2012
He sits in a booster seat on the floor next to the kids at the picnic table. He used to be a great eater! Ate everything off his plate. This is a new thing this week.
It just could possibly be a phase his body is going through, but its fusterating cause he's so young and doesn't talk.
Right now i'm only giving him little plate fulls so i don't waste a huge plate on him! LOL
pooping regularly?
blueclouds29 09:53 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
pooping regularly?
oh yes...
Heidi 10:14 AM 04-13-2012
this is the same for me too. I highly recommend trying to put all of the food in some yogurt, add some honey and milk. I got my DCK eating after almost 3 straight weeks of not eating anything while here.

try your best not to get frustrated in front of the DCK the child will soon learn that there are negative ties to eating. I know how hard it is to do that, but try your very best.

Where does the child sit when they eat? Do they sit with the rest of the kids or in a high chair?

Have you tried to play games like, look here comes the airplane??
I normally agree with most of what you say, daycare...I think you're swell! But, I'll disagree on this one!

I would NOT recommend blending the food or adding honey. That is the same to me as handing him a plate of cookies and saying "well, you can eat this instead". He eats what is offered or he doesn't eat. What happens at home you cannot control. Games like "airplane" may be cute (I know Grandma did choo choo train ), but it would give him the message that he is eating to please you...that it's a behavior, when it should be a non-issue. Here is food...eat if you're hungry. If you're not...you wait until next meal. No judging, it just is what it is...

I feel so bad disagreeing with you, Daycare! (sad face)
daycare 10:43 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
I normally agree with most of what you say, daycare...I think you're swell! But, I'll disagree on this one!

I would NOT recommend blending the food or adding honey. That is the same to me as handing him a plate of cookies and saying "well, you can eat this instead". He eats what is offered or he doesn't eat. What happens at home you cannot control. Games like "airplane" may be cute (I know Grandma did choo choo train ), but it would give him the message that he is eating to please you...that it's a behavior, when it should be a non-issue. Here is food...eat if you're hungry. If you're not...you wait until next meal. No judging, it just is what it is...

I feel so bad disagreeing with you, Daycare! (sad face)
its ok you can disagree with me. I was actually instructed by the food program nutritionist to do this. This is an extreme case. The chlid has not eaten a single meal at my home in 3 weeks. Nor are they drinking anything at all. I have posted about this child. I don't want to rewrite it all over again, but this child was losing weight and has extreme anxiety with food. The parents caved in and when the child wouldnt eat gave them candy. So this was the idea of the food program to get the kid weened off of the sugar stuff only

Yesterday I put in spinach, chicken, honey, milk, carrots, strawberries and yogurt into the blender and for the first time had success of this child consuming food. The child has been with me for almost 5 months and eating has always been an issue.

Desperate times call for desperate measure. Everyone in the house is enjoying meal time again, becuse the little one is no longer screaming all day with hunger pains. You have to choose your battles (if that's what you would like to call them) I would prefer to take the extra measures to help a little one eat at meal time than to let them go hungry and be in pain later, as well as everyone else having to deal with hearing the little one cry. NOw if they are 2.5 or older and they chose not to eat, well then too bad. You should have eaten when you were supposed to.

Trust me, I don't give one single sweet thing in my house that is not natural. I am vegan, eat Paleo and refuse to serve anything that comes out of box or bag, unless its dairy, bread or rice. I dont eat dairy or bread, but the DCK have to because I am on the food program.
Heidi 10:46 AM 04-13-2012
its ok you can disagree with me. I was actually instructed by the food program nutritionist to do this. This is an extreme case. The chlid has not eaten a single meal at my home in 3 weeks. Nor are they drinking anything at all. I have posted about this child. I don't want to rewrite it all over again, but this child was losing weight and has extreme anxiety with food. The parents caved in and when the child wouldnt eat gave them candy. So this was the idea of the food program to get the kid weened off of the sugar stuff only

Yesterday I put in spinach, chicken, honey, milk, carrots, strawberries and yogurt into the blender and for the first time had success of this child consuming food. The child has been with me for almost 5 months and eating has always been an issue.

Desperate times call for desperate measure. Everyone in the house is enjoying meal time again, becuse the little one is no longer screaming all day with hunger pains.

Trust me, I don't give one single sweet thing in my house that is not natural. I am vegan, eat Paleo and refuse to serve anything that comes out of box or bag, unless its dairy, bread or rice. I dont eat dairy or bread, but the DCK have to because I am on the food program.
ok...well it sounds like your's is a really really extreme case. There is always the exception to the rule. By the way..that sounds disgusting! lol
daycare 10:53 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
ok...well it sounds like your's is a really really extreme case. There is always the exception to the rule. By the way..that sounds disgusting! lol
lol the other kids wanted one and I told them you want to know whats in it?? I told them and they all said eeewwww... But guess what it worked... I think that this child might actually have a texture issue with food.

I wanted to vomit when I was pouring it into the cup for him to drink....lol
Reply Up