Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Parent Questioning Every Policy

Every policy that has come up, parent has questioned it. They question it in a way that I'm not sure if they just don't know the policy (as they claim) or if they're questioning it hoping I won't enforce it. In the last 2 days I've had this parent try to get out of following 4 different policies. Now parent is uncomfortable about outings they signed permissions for. How do you handle a parent that questions everything?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Give or send them a copy of your policies, answer any questions but ultimately remain firm and proceed as usual.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

as willow said stand firm and remain your grounds.

I had a parent do this and it was shortly after they had started. I made her come early for drop off one day and said..

sally its seems like you are confused about some of our policies and I just want to make sure that we are both on the same page and that we both have the same understanding...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Every policy that has come up, parent has questioned it. They question it in a way that I'm not sure if they just don't know the policy (as they claim) or if they're questioning it hoping I won't enforce it. In the last 2 days I've had this parent try to get out of following 4 different policies. Now parent is uncomfortable about outings they signed permissions for. How do you handle a parent that questions everything?
I've seen it too. They sign the contract and figure that you'll bend on your policies to avoid losing them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
littlemissmuffet's Avatar
littlemissmuffet littlemissmuffet is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Every policy that has come up, parent has questioned it. They question it in a way that I'm not sure if they just don't know the policy (as they claim) or if they're questioning it hoping I won't enforce it. In the last 2 days I've had this parent try to get out of following 4 different policies. Now parent is uncomfortable about outings they signed permissions for. How do you handle a parent that questions everything?
I generally don't have this issue because I go over every single policy in my handbook extremely thoroughly during the interview - and I clarify any questions during this time. Of course, I get the odd parent who plays dumb and tries to get out of following policies by either pretending they didn't know the policy to begin with or that they were confused. I will whip out their signed contract and remind them they did indeed know - and I simply clarfiy again any questions a parent may have. If it becomes a constant game with a parent (and it's happened to me once) I terminate. I guide children in life, not adults.

Ain't nobody got time for that!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet View Post
Ain't nobody got time for that!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Give or send them a copy of your policies, answer any questions but ultimately remain firm and proceed as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet View Post
I generally don't have this issue because I go over every single policy in my handbook extremely thoroughly during the interview - and I clarify any questions during this time. Of course, I get the odd parent who plays dumb and tries to get out of following policies by either pretending they didn't know the policy to begin with or that they were confused. I will whip out their signed contract and remind them they did indeed know - and I simply clarfiy again any questions a parent may have. If it becomes a constant game with a parent (and it's happened to me once) I terminate. I guide children in life, not adults.
Ain't nobody got time for that!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I've seen it too. They sign the contract and figure that you'll bend on your policies to avoid losing them.
Or they don't really bother to read it at all and just sign it figuring that everything will turn out ok not thinking that they should probably read the paper with tiny letters with all of the rules they must follow .

THIS IS WHY I sit down and go over every part of my contract and handbook with them BEFORE I let them sign the contract. I've heard many a "Oh yes, I read it at home" only to see blank stares of confusion or when I go over it before signing the contract. "WHAT?!? I didn't read that!"
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,857
Default

you want to know something terrible?

I have my handbook online, and I don't even know for sure if all my parents have read it.

My contract is brief, addressing payment and holidays, etc., with a space for the parent to initial that they have read to policy manual.

The really odd thing is I rarely have an issue with policies! I am fairly flexible, partly because I have a small group, though.

Dang, now that I've said this you know someone will test me!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,551
Default

I generally hand them another copy of their contract, the first time they challenge it, assuming they lost theirs.

From that point on, at each and every attempt to get over, I ask them if they are turning in their notice. If they say No, then we continue to follow the contract.

DCP "I am really not ok with the late payment policy. I was only late once this month and...."

Me "Oh, I am sorry to hear that. So will this week be the beginning of your notice? I sure hate to see you go, but I fully understand."
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
DCP "I am really not ok with the late payment policy. I was only late once this month and...."

Me "Oh, I am sorry to hear that. So will this week be the beginning of your notice? I sure hate to see you go, but I fully understand."


I had one tell me once that she couldn't abide by so-and-so policy because blah blah blah and that she didn't agree with so-and-so policy because blah blah blah and that so-and-so policy didn't work for her blah blah blah. I'm usually very reasonable and will explain why I do things the way that I do them but then she said those magical words that parents say to try to have you by the short-and-curly's ... "You know with all of these policies I'm not sure that I can stay any longer. I have to look out for what's in the best interest of me and my family and I might just have to go somewhere else" she all but crossed her arms and stomped her foot.


My response was much like yours:
"I understand completely to what you are saying (DCM nodding her head)
and just like you have to look out and do what is in the best interest of you and your family I have to do what is in the best interest of me, my family and my business. (DCM ) I completely understand if you have to go somewhere else. As a reminder I require a written 2 week notice. And don't worry, no hard feelings. I understand" (DCM ).

PS She DID NOT put in her 2 weeks notice and was on her best behavior after that.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I generally hand them another copy of their contract, the first time they challenge it, assuming they lost theirs.

From that point on, at each and every attempt to get over, I ask them if they are turning in their notice. If they say No, then we continue to follow the contract.

DCP "I am really not ok with the late payment policy. I was only late once this month and...."

Me "Oh, I am sorry to hear that. So will this week be the beginning of your notice? I sure hate to see you go, but I fully understand."


Some things are simply non-negotiable.

Funny how we can manage toddler behavior on a daily basis and parents still seem to think they can slip one by us now and then....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,551
Default

Honestly, nobody has ever taken the bait. Even when I really hoped they would...

I am not "mean", per se, but I put a lot of time and energy into explaining everything to them during the interview process and first 30 days.

I really don't have that many hot buttons or rules. I am a admitted stickler on payment, pick-up times and illness policy. Those are the things that effect my kids the most, so it should make sense to another parent, IMHO.

* Not one of my clients has been here less than 3 years at this point.. waiting THAT long to find an issue worth fighting over is just a tad bit silly.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Or they don't really bother to read it at all and just sign it figuring that everything will turn out ok not thinking that they should probably read the paper with tiny letters with all of the rules they must follow .

THIS IS WHY I sit down and go over every part of my contract and handbook with them BEFORE I let them sign the contract. I've heard many a "Oh yes, I read it at home" only to see blank stares of confusion or when I go over it before signing the contract. "WHAT?!? I didn't read that!"
I go through mine page by page, as well. I require a signature after every section that even COULD be argued. They'll sign an "I" statement: I understand____and agree to_____. I will not_____.

It really helps. It doesn't prevent parents (especially at the start) from TRYING to bend the rules that they don't agree with (like the mom that doesn't want her kid outdoors, and refused to bring a jacket. She signed an agreement that said her kid would participate in outdoor activities (that were also outlined for her). I asked every day for a week for that jacket-they kept bringing her wrapped up in a blanket. I told mom that she is getting cold outside with no jacket, and I had one the next day. I DID put a coat on the kid, but letting mom think she didn't have one on is what got mom to bring it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
you want to know something terrible?

I have my handbook online, and I don't even know for sure if all my parents have read it.

My contract is brief, addressing payment and holidays, etc., with a space for the parent to initial that they have read to policy manual.

The really odd thing is I rarely have an issue with policies! I am fairly flexible, partly because I have a small group, though.
Me too. Mine is 50+ pages long so I don't want to take time to read through each policy and discuss it at interviews.

I email the parents a copy upon enrollment and every fall when I update it. I'm going to start emailing a copy before interviews also.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Me too. Mine is 50+ pages long
Wow... What all do you have in there???

Mine is 3 pages, bullet format, triple spaced with enough room for them to initial/date each paragraph. My FAQ in only one page.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Wow... What all do you have in there???

Mine is 3 pages, bullet format, triple spaced with enough room for them to initial/date each paragraph. My FAQ in only one page.
Yep, that's right ... she's got me beat. Mine is only 36 pages long .
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

I am thinking of having a sheet with a list of every section in my policy handbook stating that I have gone over it with them, made sure they understand it, and that they agree to the policies listed below. And during interviews, after I go over each section, have them initial next to it and keep the copy in their file. And then if they ever say later "Oh you didn't tell me that" or "Oh I wasn't aware of that rule" show it to them and say "That's funny, because your initials say otherwise".

I am always working on mine- its currently at 12 pgs
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 PM
blandino's Avatar
blandino blandino is offline
Daycare.com member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 1,508
Default

Mine is 10 pages, and I feel like I am handing out a novel.

On the same note, I posted a slightly updated handbook on our FB yesterday, and had two parents come to me and apologize for breaking some policies without realizing it. Neither family was really breaking policies, just little things. But they were super apologetic.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
Me too. Mine is 50+ pages long so I don't want to take time to read through each policy and discuss it at interviews.

I email the parents a copy upon enrollment and every fall when I update it. I'm going to start emailing a copy before interviews also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Yep, that's right ... she's got me beat. Mine is only 36 pages long .
Yikes, what do you guys have in there? If I made the font really, really big I might get 6 or 7 pages . Maybe I'm missing some important stuff...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parent - unrealistic expectations, parents - over concerned, policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Your Daycare Kids Act Out at Pickup? jenh171 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 72 12-13-2018 05:57 PM
Child's Behavior At Pick Up momatheart Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 07-29-2017 02:39 PM
Lingering DCD Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 48 08-26-2014 09:45 AM
Ex Daycare Parent Just Showing Up At Your Door E Daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 02-08-2013 08:51 PM
Drop Off Problem... Dsquared Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 02-11-2011 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming