Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Made baby food jar snowglobes
jessrlee 06:43 AM 12-03-2013
and they're all leaking! I used E-6000 to seal them and hot glue around the rim of the lit to "caulk" it. Any ideas?
MsLaura529 07:32 AM 12-03-2013
Oh no! I don't have any advice, but I hope someone has an answer for you. This is why I haven't attempted something like this yet, because I figured with my luck they would just start leaking.
thetoddlerwhisper 07:43 AM 12-03-2013
ugh had thought about doing that but good to know they leak
Great Beginnings 07:45 AM 12-03-2013
What type of little trinket did you use inside? I've wanted to do them but couldn't find anything to use inside of them.

Sorry, I don't know what to do about the leak Have you tried spray adhesive or super glue?
jessrlee 08:01 AM 12-03-2013
I'm super cheap-o. I used really thick foam stickers. I hot glued them to the cap and I think they worked really well! I bought the ones that are printed so they are cute
Great Beginnings 08:06 AM 12-03-2013
Ahhh! Good idea lol
jessrlee 08:15 AM 12-03-2013
image.jpg

These
Attached:
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 12-03-2013
The glue you used should have worked...It's site says it is waterproof.

I wonder if it had a reaction with the chemicals in the hot glue at all?

I have had good luck using baby food jars in the past but one thing I ALWAYS make sure to do is to wipe the lids and the jar lip with alcohol so make sure it is completely clean and free from any residue left from it's original state.

I have found lots of miniature things to use in snow globes at the Dollar store. Lots of kids plastic animal sets have trees and people/animals etc that work great!

I've always used super glue to seal the jars and as far as I know haven't had issues with leaking.

Oh and don't forget to add a few drops of baby oil or glycerin. It helps the "suspension" of the snow so it doesn't clump...and falls more naturally.
playdate4 08:58 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I've always used super glue to seal the jars and as far as I know haven't had issues with leaking.

Oh and don't forget to add a few drops of baby oil or glycerin. It helps the "suspension" of the snow so it doesn't clump...and falls more naturally.
Did u just super glue the screw on where the threads go?
Blackcat31 09:05 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by jbshell:
Did u just super glue the screw on where the threads go?
Yep. I ran a bead of super glue along the ridge of the jar and along the inside of the lid where the threads are and put the top on.

I have a couple at daycare still from last year and they still haven't leaked.

I used the baby food jars that are for 2nd foods. The medium sized baby food jars.
playdate4 09:26 AM 12-03-2013
Yep. I ran a bead of super glue along the ridge of the jar and along the inside of the lid where the threads are and put the top on.

I have a couple at daycare still from last year and they still haven't leaked.

I used the baby food jars that are for 2nd foods. The medium sized baby food jars.
Thanks
jessrlee 09:32 AM 12-03-2013
Thank you! I will try super glue I was avoiding it... I ALWAYS glue my fingers together

The glue you used should have worked...It's site says it is waterproof.

I wonder if it had a reaction with the chemicals in the hot glue at all?

I have had good luck using baby food jars in the past but one thing I ALWAYS make sure to do is to wipe the lids and the jar lip with alcohol so make sure it is completely clean and free from any residue left from it's original state.

I have found lots of miniature things to use in snow globes at the Dollar store. Lots of kids plastic animal sets have trees and people/animals etc that work great!

Blackcat31 09:36 AM 12-03-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Thank you! I will try super glue I was avoiding it... I ALWAYS glue my fingers together
Me too...

Wear nitrile/latex gloves. It helps.
countrymom 10:27 AM 12-03-2013
maybe push the middle of the cap down as you screw it on, it also seals it better.
Reply Up