Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Running In Circles And Falling ... ?
MsLaura529 07:36 AM 01-30-2014
I don't know why, but every single day my group decides to run around in circles and/or play thr falling down game (when they stand there and then fall down). This seriously happens 2-3 times a day during free play times. I swear I am going to have a track in my carpet soon. It drives me bonkers for some reason. It's like they don't know how to sit down and play with toys, but yet they are very capable of doing it very well. They just choose not to.

Anyone else deal with this? Or have any tricks on how to stop it? Am I just a weirdo for having it bother me so much?
Heidi 07:40 AM 01-30-2014
I don't like chaos much either...

How about making it a game? Put down an obstacle course for them?

Has outside time been limited due to weather?
MsLaura529 08:00 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I don't like chaos much either...

How about making it a game? Put down an obstacle course for them?

Has outside time been limited due to weather?

Yes, we have definiely be lacking in outside time, but even when we were going outside every day they would comr inside and do thr same thing. I've tried to turn it into something else (dancing or follow the leader) but they just end up doing the same thing ... running in a circle.
butterfly 08:13 AM 01-30-2014
My kids do that too - ALL THE TIME!! I've started telling everyone to sit and grab a book and I'll sit down and do story time with them. Usually, it'll distract them enough after a couple books that they forget that they were playing the falling down game.
2 young 2 feel this old 08:36 AM 01-30-2014
My group loves this game too. When it starts I pull the small ottoman I have into the middle of the floor (it kind of establishes a boundary for the game) and then we call out HOW we are going to move around the ottoman. EG: army crawl, bunny hop, one foot hop, bear walk (hands and feet on ground), army crawl on back, crab walk, crawling backwards. After a few rounds they are tired and ready to move on to a calmer activity. It seems to work those large muscles that are harder to move in the winter
momofsix 08:36 AM 01-30-2014
Can you rearrange your area so that there's no "circle" for them to run around in? My kids used to run around the train table-I moved it a couple of inches so one of the corners is now too close to a shelf for them to fit through-no more running in circles! I think whenever kids see either a large enough empty space or something to run around-their mind automatically goes into run mode
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I don't know why, but every single day my group decides to run around in circles and/or play thr falling down game (when they stand there and then fall down). This seriously happens 2-3 times a day during free play times. I swear I am going to have a track in my carpet soon. It drives me bonkers for some reason. It's like they don't know how to sit down and play with toys, but yet they are very capable of doing it very well. They just choose not to.

Anyone else deal with this? Or have any tricks on how to stop it? Am I just a weirdo for having it bother me so much?
My kids are NOT allowed to be on their feet.

The only exceptions is transition times and going to the rest room.

Other than that ALL play is done on their bottoms.
Margarete 09:09 AM 01-30-2014
My kids do this, and I actually like it! They are being social, I love the giggles, and they aren't pulling ALL of the toys out.
Sometimes we'll transition into some movement songs, before we move to something else.
melilley 09:54 AM 01-30-2014
My kids do this sometimes, but they don't run around in a circle, they stand in one place and turn in a circle. It's usually when they are dancing. I allow them to do it as long as they are in the middle of the room. I don't mind it.
lovemykidstoo 09:55 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Can you rearrange your area so that there's no "circle" for them to run around in? My kids used to run around the train table-I moved it a couple of inches so one of the corners is now too close to a shelf for them to fit through-no more running in circles! I think whenever kids see either a large enough empty space or something to run around-their mind automatically goes into run mode
I have a train table that the kids run around too. This weekend I'm rearranging it so they can't do it anymore. DRives me nuts! They also do the fall down thing too and that drives me nuts too. The thing that is pushing me over the edge right now is my 3 yr old dcb that runs/bounces, falls around all the while his arms are swinging over his head and he's making loud noises. I told him he needs to use words not just ahhahahahaahhaaaablah blah blah blah etc
BrooklynM 09:59 AM 01-30-2014
I think all toddlers do this! We see who can run in place the longest or who can jump the highest. Of course we have many dance parties throughout the day too! They need some way of getting their energy out safely
Cat Herder 10:04 AM 01-30-2014
I had that phase for a little while. "Stunt Men"

I moved the tables out, blew up a twin air mattress and let them go at it until that, too, became boring.

Freed up hours of redirecting behavior on my part...

Luckily the phase after that was building towers and bridges...

(it has been a wet, drizzly, miserable winter here)
Jack Sprat 11:44 AM 01-30-2014
Mine do it as well. But, I only have three to four here when they are doing it. It only bothers me after about 10 minutes. And by that time they are usually done. I think its because we haven't been able to get outside. Heck, sometimes I feel like running around the room in a circle and falling down. Only thing stopping me is I am sure I would break something...
misslori50 02:32 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My kids are NOT allowed to be on their feet.

The only exceptions is transition times and going to the rest room.

Other than that ALL play is done on their bottoms.
what? that sounds awful
Blackcat31 02:37 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
what? that sounds awful
Why would that be awful?

I can't think of a single activity that NEEDS to be done on their feet.

I have 10-12 kids every day.

The inside is NOT safe for running, jumping or getting wild.

We save that sort of thing for outside.
craftymissbeth 03:19 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
what? that sounds awful
Nope. It sounds safe. If I could figure out how to get my young crew to do it, I definitely would! There's no reason for children to be carrying toys everywhere... my littles fall so much I'm just waiting for them to fall on a toy and hurt themselves.
MsLaura529 03:59 PM 01-30-2014
Why would that be awful?

I would LOVE to have my kiddos be able to do this! I can't see it working with all of them, though I'm jealous! Haha
Luna 04:10 PM 01-30-2014
Mine run in circles too. I just stick my foot out and trip them.

IN MY MIND!

They do stop when I tell them to, but I have to come up with something more fun or they're right back at it.

Then I trip them in my mind again
Unregistered 07:07 PM 01-30-2014
I run with them hahaha
kimsdaycare 04:13 AM 01-31-2014
When the group gets to running, that's when you let the littlest have at it with things like mega blocks. Within seconds the floor is typically covered with them. You ever tried running on little squares of plastic? Falling down in that mess once is usually enough to end the running game pretty quick. When they complain, you tell them they are free to pick them all up if they want (which takes quite a while and still gives a you peace for a bit). Pretty effective and the kids usually don't ever figure out what you did there.

I have also been known to pull out the vacuum and be all up in their space with cords and noise asking them to move stuff so I can get certain spots. They usually end up at the table with crayons just to avoid me lol.
Maria2013 05:14 AM 01-31-2014

I only allow running outdoor!
When outdoor time is limited due to weather, my kids still have plenty of room and exercise indoor (dancing, hopping games etc) but only under my supervision and the no running, no spinning rules
melilley 12:00 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
Mine do it as well. But, I only have three to four here when they are doing it. It only bothers me after about 10 minutes. And by that time they are usually done. I think its because we haven't been able to get outside. Heck, sometimes I feel like running around the room in a circle and falling down. Only thing stopping me is I am sure I would break something...
I know! I can't even spin around once anymore without getting dizzy...lol
littleblossoms 12:05 PM 01-31-2014
I do not allow running neither.

From the first day of care I teach kids to sit and play.

I not have toys on shelves for them to go. I also limit toys. I gind kids like to dump toys and dont play.
Jack Sprat 12:06 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I know! I can't even spin around once anymore without getting dizzy...lol
I can't swing anymore or I get sick to my stomach!
Unregistered 12:14 PM 01-31-2014
"Walking feet inside!" Mine love to stand and play and wander about holding hands and what not. Pretending to go to work or shopping. They can be up and on their feet as much as they wish. Running at all indoors is not aloud. One reminder given only. Then you get to sit for awhile to get settled down. Five munchkins running around in the house is a recipe for disaster.
hhdc 01:04 PM 01-31-2014
my group plays "cars" which involves them pushing the large cars/trucks and sliding across the floor. I only have 3-4 kids here at a time. It cracks them up and they love it. One boy will get really upset if no one wants to play with him. It has been a very long cold month here. It also stops them from pulling out a ton of toys.
Naptime yet? 01:57 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Luna:
Mine run in circles too. I just stick my foot out and trip them.

IN MY MIND!

They do stop when I tell them to, but I have to come up with something more fun or they're right back at it.

Then I trip them in my mind again

caregiver 04:17 PM 01-31-2014
My kiddo's do that all the time too. It does drive me crazy also, but with living where I do, the snow and cold this winter, it seems they are going bonkers because it has been too cold to go outside. So I figure if I am right with them in the playroom and they do this, they are just having a good time and letting some energy wear off. I only have 3 kids at this time now, so it isn't that bad. Sometimes I will also try and twirl around, but at my age, that isn't so easy! I make them stop after a little bit and settle down. They also do the falling down just for the fun of it. But to hear them laugh when they do this I know they are happy and having a good time. I guess at my age....not going to tell, but I have learned to kind of roll with the punches as to say and not get so stressed over every little thing like I used to doing daycare. Kids are kids and as long as I know they are having a good time, and not getting hurt or breaking things, I let them have a good time doing some things like twirling around and falling down.
I can't wait until warmer weather gets here and we can be outside.
mrw_mn 08:49 PM 01-31-2014
I do this, I let kids be kids. I ensure that their environment is safe and they are being respectful to the space and each other. I wouldn't be comfortable sending my child some place that didn't allow them on their feet for dramatic play or whatever kind of play...I can't think of anything besides our reading time, art time or eating that the kids are sitting. Gross motor skills are one of the main domains for development. With the weather we've had here, we've gotten creative with our activities to include a bigger group and wider age group...6month to 13years! One favorite is musical chairs, but we make it our own. The kids do like to dance and spin in circles, but as mentioned in previous responses, the kids are giggling, developing physically, emotionally and socially during this play. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone just running in the house in general, not my my own kids or the daycare kids. There is a time and a place, the kids know when and where that is. The kids' imaginations are the engines of our day and we love it this way, they are thriving!
MsLaura529 06:08 AM 02-01-2014
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't allow time for dancing and ring-around-the-rosy, or folloe the leader, or just plain being goofy. But their running has gotten so bad, they end up crashing into each other, falling on top of each other, pushing, landing on toys, etc. I've been using "walking feet" a lot, and even my little tornado has used that phrase at home to his parents now

I'm just tired or every time they get to playing a physical game, it turns into running in circles and falling ... shoot, even playing with blocks, or trains, or cars they end up doing that somehow.
caregiver 06:19 AM 02-01-2014
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't allow time for dancing and ring-around-the-rosy, or folloe the leader, or just plain being goofy. But their running has gotten so bad, they end up crashing into each other, falling on top of each other, pushing, landing on toys, etc. I've been using "walking feet" a lot, and even my little tornado has used that phrase at home to his parents now

I'm just tired or every time they get to playing a physical game, it turns into running in circles and falling ... shoot, even playing with blocks, or trains, or cars they end up doing that somehow.
I can see your point. If it is getting out of hand like pushing and falling down on each other, then I would put a stop to it,you can't have kids getting hurt. I think it is the time of year when kids can't get outside if you live in a state that is not warm in the winter and they just have a lot of energy that can't wear off like in the summer. I know myself, living in Mn,that I go crazy when I can't get outside,and this winter is just crazy...so much snow and so cold! Hec, I don't even like to go out to the mailbox right now,you have to bundle up just to get your mail!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by mrw_mn:
I do this, I let kids be kids. I ensure that their environment is safe and they are being respectful to the space and each other. I wouldn't be comfortable sending my child some place that didn't allow them on their feet for dramatic play or whatever kind of play...I can't think of anything besides our reading time, art time or eating that the kids are sitting. Gross motor skills are one of the main domains for development. With the weather we've had here, we've gotten creative with our activities to include a bigger group and wider age group...6month to 13years! One favorite is musical chairs, but we make it our own. The kids do like to dance and spin in circles, but as mentioned in previous responses, the kids are giggling, developing physically, emotionally and socially during this
play. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone just running in the house in general, not my my own kids or the daycare kids. There is a time and a place, the kids know when and where that is. The kids' imaginations are the engines of our day and we love it this way, they are thriving!
Then you most definitely wouldn't be the right fit for my program.

Large motor skills can be developed in LOTS of other ways other than allowing a child to run in circles, endangering others.

My number one priority is the SAFETY of the other children.
Safety is one the most important domains that parents look for in care.

Dramatic play is a structured activity.
Kids are obviously on their feet for structured activities. Structured activities require the supervision of an adult to ensure the safety of ALL children in care. Especially when you have a mixed age group.

BIG difference between structured play and random circling and running.

My reply was in response to the OP stating her kids were simply turning in circles and running for no apparent reason other than to do just that.

I really wish posters would ask for more information or more details before simply making assumptions about someone's program/practices.
Luna 01:56 PM 02-01-2014
Why would that be awful?

To be honest, this sounds like you allow no activities on their feet, not just unstructured activities. I can see how someone would get that idea, because that's the way I understood your post too.
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by Luna:
To be honest, this sounds like you allow no activities on their feet, not just unstructured activities. I can see how someone would get that idea, because that's the way I understood your post too.
My original reply was in response to OP who was talking about kids running in circles/falling.....not structured or guided play.

Another poster said it sounded awful....rather than asking for clarification or further explanation from me about exactly when and why kids are or aren't allowed on their feet.

My reply to that poster (the post you quoted) was short and I can see how it could possibly give the wrong idea......but again, I was replying to one person and no further explanation was requested.
Tags:jumping, jumping out your crazies, running, soft flooring
Reply Up