Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looks Can Be Deceiving
sharlan 08:31 PM 09-02-2016
My 9 yo grandson is on the ASD. He looks like any other 9 yo boy. For the most part, he acts just like any other 9 yo boy.

He does have sensory issues. He loves Disneyland and they go quite often, two or three times a month. He has a special wheel chair for when he gets sensory overload from the crowds. This is a wheel chair that was prescribed by his doctors and approved by his insurance company. My dd didn't just go out and buy it.

They went to Disneyland today and had an incident when leaving the park. Because the wheel chair doesn't fold very easily, they use the wheel chair ramp for the parking lot trams. Sometimes they strap down the wheel chair and he stays in it, sometimes he will sit on his mom's lap.

Today the empty tram stopped and picked them up. Rather than have the attendant take extra time to pull out the straps and strap the wheel chair down, my grandson climbed into his mom's lap.

When the tram pulled around to the other side, a lady waiting with her stroller that she didn't want to fold, started yelling at the tram operator that she was first in line and wanted my daughter and grandson kicked off because they cut in line by using the ramp. There was room for the stroller. The operator explained that he had a wheel chair and was allowed to use the wheel chair ramp. The lady demanded to know what his disability was. The operator told her that she couldn't ask.

The woman escalated her fit and demanded a supervisor so that they could kick my daughter and grandson off. The operator explained to the pleasant lady that "IF" they were to kick my grandson off, they would have to kick everyone who just got on the tram off, drive back around to the other side, unload my grandson, and then come back to pick everyone up again. She finally gave up and got on the tram.

Just because you see a "normal looking" child in a store, restaurant, or wherever, doesn't mean that child doesn't have issues going on. Yes, there are a lot of bratty monsters out there that aren't disciplined. Not every child is. Fortunately, my grandson melts into a rock when overloaded. He's never thrown a fit at home or in public.

Don't be so quick to judge.
Sunchimes 09:18 PM 09-02-2016
That makes me so angry! I'm sorry they had to endure that. I thought that generation was suppose to be more enlightened.
Pestle 06:35 AM 09-03-2016
Not if it means that somebody else gets something they don't have.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 09-03-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
My 9 yo grandson is on the ASD. He looks like any other 9 yo boy. For the most part, he acts just like any other 9 yo boy.

He does have sensory issues. He loves Disneyland and they go quite often, two or three times a month. He has a special wheel chair for when he gets sensory overload from the crowds. This is a wheel chair that was prescribed by his doctors and approved by his insurance company. My dd didn't just go out and buy it.

They went to Disneyland today and had an incident when leaving the park. Because the wheel chair doesn't fold very easily, they use the wheel chair ramp for the parking lot trams. Sometimes they strap down the wheel chair and he stays in it, sometimes he will sit on his mom's lap.

Today the empty tram stopped and picked them up. Rather than have the attendant take extra time to pull out the straps and strap the wheel chair down, my grandson climbed into his mom's lap.

When the tram pulled around to the other side, a lady waiting with her stroller that she didn't want to fold, started yelling at the tram operator that she was first in line and wanted my daughter and grandson kicked off because they cut in line by using the ramp. There was room for the stroller. The operator explained that he had a wheel chair and was allowed to use the wheel chair ramp. The lady demanded to know what his disability was. The operator told her that she couldn't ask.

The woman escalated her fit and demanded a supervisor so that they could kick my daughter and grandson off. The operator explained to the pleasant lady that "IF" they were to kick my grandson off, they would have to kick everyone who just got on the tram off, drive back around to the other side, unload my grandson, and then come back to pick everyone up again. She finally gave up and got on the tram.

Just because you see a "normal looking" child in a store, restaurant, or wherever, doesn't mean that child doesn't have issues going on. Yes, there are a lot of bratty monsters out there that aren't disciplined. Not every child is. Fortunately, my grandson melts into a rock when overloaded. He's never thrown a fit at home or in public.

Don't be so quick to judge.
Im sorry they had to deal with that.

That mother set a horrible example for her own child.

Great reminder that we dont always know the full story.
MyAngels 01:21 PM 09-03-2016
That is just horrid. How in the world do people think behavior like that is OK?
e.j. 02:58 PM 09-03-2016
I'm so sorry your dd and grandson experienced such immature, rude behavior. I guess the only thing I can hope is that the woman has her own set of issues that we may not be aware of and was having a bad day. For the sake of her own child, I hope she doesn't behave that way all the time.
Play Care 05:49 AM 09-04-2016
Ugh, I am so sorry.

I have several family members with "invisible" disabilities, and people need to learn to MYOB.
Reply Up