Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Fatality Since New Law
Country Kids 06:53 AM 12-19-2012
In WA state they have passed a law that allows recreational marijuana (sp) smoking. Well two nights ago or last night they had a person that was killed by a driver that was impaired by it. I believe it was a pedistrian that was hit by the car.

Now, I know pedistrians are hit by cars but I just wonder if that law hadn't been passed would the person still be with us? Just sad to me-
Crystal 06:58 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
In WA state they have passed a law that allows recreational marijuana (sp) smoking. Well two nights ago or last night they had a person that was killed by a driver that was impaired by it. I believe it was a pedistrian that was hit by the car.

Now, I know pedistrians are hit by cars but I just wonder if that law hadn't been passed would the person still be with us? Just sad to me-
I assure you the person that was driving while high did not decide to drive while impaired because of the new law. It is most likely that he has done it numerous times and this time he hit someone. I am sure the law does not allow for one to drive while impaired, just like drinking and driving is illegal.

Certainly sad though.
youretooloud 07:03 AM 12-19-2012
Driving while high is so irresponsible. And to the people (there are TONS out there) who say "I am more aware of my surroundings when i'm high..i'm actually a better driver" I say "You are either delusional, stupid, or just lying".

I am not against legal marijuana use. I'm VERY against driving under the influence of anything at all...ever. Nothing. Not even Benadryl.
Country Kids 07:09 AM 12-19-2012
I know but we are having a war on drugs in this country and they are now legalizing them. Why fight so hard for something just to have it passed as suddenly ok. What is sad is alot of people start on marijuana and work their way up on drugs.

Also, I really don't think I (personally) have ever heard of someone being involved in a wreck when impaired by drugs mainly alcohol when this occurs. I just have a feeling there will be alot more accidents on this now with the new law.
Meyou 07:19 AM 12-19-2012
Let's talk about drunk driving stats and penalties first. I know I'm still scarred by attending my best friend's funeral when I was 8 years old because he was plowed down by someone who was loaded, only weeks out of prison for hitting someone else and didn't even know WTF happened in the aftermath.

Did that happen because alcohol was legal?

Weed didn't make this person drive impaired....being a dumbass did.
familyschoolcare 07:20 AM 12-19-2012
County I hear you. Here in California, we have all kinds of tv adds about how second and third hand spoke is bad for peoples health. Laws are being passes making it illegal to spoke in places smoking used to be allowed (bars, restaurants, x feet in front of the entrance to any public building, in the car if children are present) and at the same time laws are being passed to make medical marijuane legal and easier to get. Makes no sense to me.
Unregistered 07:28 AM 12-19-2012
marijuana has not been officially legalized in WA, it could take another year for it to be finalized. i hear they might oppose the citizens decision to legalize it.
Crystal 07:30 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
County I hear you. Here in California, we have all kinds of tv adds about how second and third hand spoke is bad for peoples health. Laws are being passes making it illegal to spoke in places smoking used to be allowed (bars, restaurants, x feet in front of the entrance to any public building, in the car if children are present) and at the same time laws are being passed to make medical marijuane legal and easier to get. Makes no sense to me.
First, let's be aware that marijuana does not have the same effect as cigarettes on the lungs. Certainly it should not be smoked around children, as it can get them high, and laws are in place regarding when and where medicinal marijuana can be used. Also, keep in mind that many medicinal marijuana users do not smoke it. It can be made in to capsules that are swallowed, food that is eaten and creams/salves that are rubbed on to releive pain.

Secondly, let's also be aware that medicinal marijuana has scientifically been proven to ease the symptoms of those suffering chronic illness. I would argue that this is much better than the use of vi - codin darvacet, percodan, etc. I have watched people die (my MIL in January) from the effects of years of taking vi - codin . She suffered liver and kidney failure due to her addiction. Marijuana does not do that.

I don't condone driving under the influence of ANYTHING, but I do beleive that medicinal marijuana is perfectly acceptable in treating people who suffer long-term, chronic illness.
lovemykidstoo 07:31 AM 12-19-2012
I don't have a problem with legalizing marijuana. I don't believe that people are going to start using it necessarily if they never did before just because it's legal. I'm sure there are some, but the vast majority I doubt it. I think that the reason you hear that this accident had to do with someone being high is probably because they just legalized it and now you're going to hear more if it where maybe you didnt' know before. I dont' see it being any worse than drinking. Like everyone said above, driving under the influence of anything is moronic.
Crystal 07:34 AM 12-19-2012
I find it interesting that we are discussing a law that allows the recreational use of marijuana, and blaming a death on it, yet we discuss the recreational use of guns being legal and some say that guns being legal have nothing to do with people kiliing others, that they would get a gun illegally and kill someone if they really wanted to.

Just sayin'
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I assure you the person that was driving while high did not decide to drive while impaired because of the new law. It is most likely that he has done it numerous times and this time he hit someone. I am sure the law does not allow for one to drive while impaired, just like drinking and driving is illegal.

Certainly sad though.
I agree.

The title of the thread should read "first fatality SINCE new law" not "first fatality FROM new law".
Country Kids 07:39 AM 12-19-2012
First, let's be aware that marijuana does not have the same effect as cigarettes on the lungs. Certainly it should not be smoked around children, as it can get them high, and laws are in place regarding when and where medicinal marijuana can be used. Also, keep in mind that many medicinal marijuana users do not smoke it. It can be made in to capsules that are swallowed, food that is eaten and creams/salves that are rubbed on to releive pain.

Secondly, let's also be aware that medicinal marijuana has scientifically been proven to ease the symptoms of those suffering chronic illness. I would argue that this is much better than the use of vi - codin darvacet, percodan, etc. I have watched people die (my MIL in January) from the effects of years of taking vi - codin . She suffered liver and kidney failure due to her addiction. Marijuana does not do that.

I don't condone driving under the influence of ANYTHING, but I do beleive that medicinal marijuana is perfectly acceptable in treating people who suffer long-term, chronic illness.
Doesn't marijuana use though kill brain cells? To me it doesn't seem any different then another type of effect. Not sure which is the worse of two evils.

I saw a story on our news where a father was giving his daughter/son who was something like 7 marijuana for something the child had. I can't remember if he was in trouble for it or doing the story undercover. Had kids coming in at the time so was trying to listen but being distracted. A relative called me after to see if I heard the story and they couldn't believe it. I think they are setting that child up for an addiction at a early age and that is sad and should be a case of neglect.
Country Kids 07:42 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree.

The title of the thread should read "first fatality SINCE new law" not "first fatality FROM new law".
BC if you can change it please feel free. I was writing in a hurry and couldn't get the wording right in my brain. Yours is exactly what I was trying to say-
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 12-19-2012
BC if you can change it please feel free. I was writing in a hurry and couldn't get the wording right in my brain. Yours is exactly what I was trying to say-
I got your back
Country Kids 07:46 AM 12-19-2012
I got your back
Thank you for the change!!!!
itlw8 08:03 AM 12-19-2012
my guess is this person always drove while high. It just made the news because of the new law.
youretooloud 08:06 AM 12-19-2012
Plus, Arizona passed a law legalizing medical marijuana, but it's taken several years to open even one store to sell it. So, even if the law is passed, people aren't selling it in Circle K already or anything. It will not make any changes for a while.
NeedaVaca 08:09 AM 12-19-2012
Doesn't marijuana use though kill brain cells? To me it doesn't seem any different then another type of effect. Not sure which is the worse of two evils.

I saw a story on our news where a father was giving his daughter/son who was something like 7 marijuana for something the child had. I can't remember if he was in trouble for it or doing the story undercover. Had kids coming in at the time so was trying to listen but being distracted. A relative called me after to see if I heard the story and they couldn't believe it. I think they are setting that child up for an addiction at a early age and that is sad and should be a case of neglect.
Marijuana does not kill brain cells, just a myth...
Binkybobo 08:12 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I have never seen any scientific data on this, but I've certainly met a few people that appeared to be "perma-fried"!
AnneCordelia 08:18 AM 12-19-2012
The articles I'm reading about this accident say that the man admits to smoking marijuana earlier in the day but was not high at the time of driving. If he smoked at noon, for example, he wouldn't necessarily be high at the 5:50 when the accident took place.
Country Kids 08:30 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
The articles I'm reading about this accident say that the man admits to smoking marijuana earlier in the day but was not high at the time of driving. If he smoked at noon, for example, he wouldn't necessarily be high at the 5:50 when the accident took place.
Here's a link to something local on it:

http://www.kptv.com/story/20368360/d...h-in-vancouver

It does say the man wasn't in a cross walk but since the driver was impaired he is automatically at fault.
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 12-19-2012
The article states "he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of marijuana" and "was believed to be under the influence of marijuana".

I would bet dollars to donuts that the guy fights the charges in court because unless he actually admits to being under the influence, I would like to see how the police are going to prove it...kwim?

I know of no test that can precisely tell when someone smoked marijuana.

They can test to see if it is in your system, but I don't think any test can tell WHEN it was smoked.

Would be an interesting case to follow.
Country Kids 09:08 AM 12-19-2012
The article states "he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of marijuana" and "was believed to be under the influence of marijuana".

I would bet dollars to donuts that the guy fights the charges in court because unless he actually admits to being under the influence, I would like to see how the police are going to prove it...kwim?

I know of no test that can precisely tell when someone smoked marijuana.

They can test to see if it is in your system, but I don't think any test can tell WHEN it was smoked.

Would be an interesting case to follow.
The news said they did a blood test, if it comes back with at least a 5 of something (kinda like the alcohol thing) you are legally over the limit or something. Let me see if I can find the link and post it.
jen 09:15 AM 12-19-2012
I find it interesting that we are discussing a law that allows the recreational use of marijuana, and blaming a death on it, yet we discuss the recreational use of guns being legal and some say that guns being legal have nothing to do with people kiliing others, that they would get a gun illegally and kill someone if they really wanted to.

Just sayin'
I completely agree!
Country Kids 09:20 AM 12-19-2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2136034.html

Best artilcle I could find that explains what they look for in blood test.
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 12-19-2012
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2136034.html

Best artilcle I could find that explains what they look for in blood test.
It will be interesting to see if he actually comes back with levels above 5 nanograms then.

So far though he is only charged with suspicion of being under the influence.
littlemissmuffet 10:18 AM 12-19-2012
Blaming this tragic death on the legalization of marijuana is ridiculous. People drive high everyday in areas where weed is still "illegal" and people drive drunk everyday all over the world where booze is legal.

I think that alcohol is much more damaging to people, relationships and lives than marijuana... I think it should be legalized across the board.
NeedaVaca 11:08 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Blaming this tragic death on the legalization of marijuana is ridiculous. People drive high everyday in areas where weed is still "illegal" and people drive drunk everyday all over the world where booze is legal.

I think that alcohol is much more damaging to people, relationships and lives than marijuana... I think it should be legalized across the board.

Crystal 01:35 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Amen!
lovemykidstoo 01:42 PM 12-19-2012

You know what killed the brain cells in my FIL? smoking and drinking excessively. He developed COPD and the lack of oxygen in his system damaged his brain. I think the story about the father giving his daughter/son marijuana has to do with legalizing it. Do you mean that the father gave it to him/her for a medical condition?
Crystal 01:45 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
You know what killed the brain cells in my FIL? smoking and drinking excessively. He developed COPD and the lack of oxygen in his system damaged his brain. I think the story about the father giving his daughter/son marijuana has to do with legalizing it. Do you mean that the father gave it to him/her for a medical condition?
There are several cases of children being treated with medicinal marijuana because parents did not want them on narcotics. They don't smoke it though. It is turned into a capsule that they swallow.
dEHmom 01:49 PM 12-19-2012
I have nothing against Marijuana, but I agree with almost everyone on here, that I don't agree with driving under the influence of ANYTHING.

I personally believe marijuana only slows your ability to react, which is why people believe it makes them drive better, but that's only because they drive slower.

Also, I don't know if the incident they are talking about in this thread has any info on this, but did that person smoke it immediately before driving? hours before? days before? you can get a test a month after smoking it, and it'll say it's in your system.

Also, with regards to them passing the law making it legal, good for them. The only reason marijuana is illegal is not because of health reasons, or dangers of it, it's because the government couldn't figure out how to make money on it (tax it), and control it. Now they've figured out how, so they are making it legal. The same happened with alcohol. I personally believe alcohol is much more dangerous and damaging to you. And btw, I am not a marijuana user who is standing up for what I believe in. I DON'T use it, but I believe some people are better off using weed than drinking alcohol.
Country Kids 01:55 PM 12-19-2012
http://globalgrind.com/news/jason-da...ijuana-details

Above is a link to the story I was able to bring up. I thought the child was 7 but I guess he is 6.
Crazy In Mo 02:09 PM 12-19-2012

I have never met a user that didn't come across as having a fried brain!
Crystal 02:11 PM 12-19-2012
http://globalgrind.com/news/jason-da...ijuana-details

Above is a link to the story I was able to bring up. I thought the child was 7 but I guess he is 6.
This form of marijauna does not get the child high, but does indeed relieve his suffering. I see absolutley no problem with it.....better than the mind-altering narcotics that doctors prescribe.
youretooloud 02:18 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy In Mo:
I have friends from high school (the early 80s) who still live with their moms. I smoked pot occasionally, but not a regular thing...and it made me not care about anything. I just sat there with a stupid look on my face for three hours. I think overusing it causes the person to become so lazy that it appears they have fried brains.
Country Kids 02:20 PM 12-19-2012
This form of marijauna does not get the child high, but does indeed relieve his suffering. I see absolutley no problem with it.....better than the mind-altering narcotics that doctors prescribe.
So if it doesn't do anything (get the child high) why are the police investigating it? It seems if it was ok to do they wouldn't do an investigation.
lovemykidstoo 02:33 PM 12-19-2012
There are several cases of children being treated with medicinal marijuana because parents did not want them on narcotics. They don't smoke it though. It is turned into a capsule that they swallow.
Oh I know. I was just wondering in what reference she was referring to the kids whether the dad was just giving it to the child or if there was a medical issue.
lovemykidstoo 02:36 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I have friends from high school (the early 80s) who still live with their moms. I smoked pot occasionally, but not a regular thing...and it made me not care about anything. I just sat there with a stupid look on my face for three hours. I think overusing it causes the person to become so lazy that it appears they have fried brains.
Moderation to anything is key. Even with chocolate chip cookies!! LOL. I'm sure there are people that smoke way too much pot and are useless, just like there are people that drink too much and are not productive and people that abuse prescription pills can be useless. I think that people that smoke pot occasionally really get a bad rap. I smoke it maybe and I repeat maybe once a year. I have too many drinks several times a year!!
lovemykidstoo 02:38 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
I have nothing against Marijuana, but I agree with almost everyone on here, that I don't agree with driving under the influence of ANYTHING.

I personally believe marijuana only slows your ability to react, which is why people believe it makes them drive better, but that's only because they drive slower.

Also, I don't know if the incident they are talking about in this thread has any info on this, but did that person smoke it immediately before driving? hours before? days before? you can get a test a month after smoking it, and it'll say it's in your system.

Also, with regards to them passing the law making it legal, good for them. The only reason marijuana is illegal is not because of health reasons, or dangers of it, it's because the government couldn't figure out how to make money on it (tax it), and control it. Now they've figured out how, so they are making it legal. The same happened with alcohol. I personally believe alcohol is much more dangerous and damaging to you. And btw, I am not a marijuana user who is standing up for what I believe in. I DON'T use it, but I believe some people are better off using weed than drinking alcohol.
Bingo. I really dont' see the difference between this and alcohol I really don't. As long as people that do either don't do it and drive.
lovemykidstoo 02:40 PM 12-19-2012
So if it doesn't do anything (get the child high) why are the police investigating it? It seems if it was ok to do they wouldn't do an investigation.
Well my guess is since it says that medicinal marijuana is prescribed for adults that maybe they need to make sure it is safe since he's only 6. Kinda like the cold medicines etc for kids under a certain age.
Crystal 02:42 PM 12-19-2012
Because it is questionable with it being a child. Basic procedure, I am sure. I am also certain he will be cleared of any wrong doing, as medicinal marijuana is legal in Ca. and the doctor would have prescribed the marijuana. If it wasn't prescribed, it may be an issue, but without THC in the marijuana as it was broken down to the liquid, then it is tantamount to using any herbal remedy to treat illness.
NeedaVaca 02:50 PM 12-19-2012
I think you would be surprised at how many people you have met that seem to really have it together, professional job, great family, etc and they are users you just don't know it. I wouldn't say never...
lovemykidstoo 02:56 PM 12-19-2012
I think you would be surprised at how many people you have met that seem to really have it together, professional job, great family, etc and they are users you just don't know it. I wouldn't say never...
Ever seen Whoopi Goldberg? She talks all the time on The View and says she's an active user. Paul McCartney ring a bell? I know that it wasn't long ago that I saw that he still smoked. Like I said the term "pot head" is way overused.
NeedaVaca 03:17 PM 12-19-2012
Ever seen Whoopi Goldberg? She talks all the time on The View and says she's an active user. Paul McCartney ring a bell? I know that it wasn't long ago that I saw that he still smoked. Like I said the term "pot head" is way overused.
I completely agree! There are way more people smoking marijuana than most people realize and they are not brain fried...I have young kids and don't even want to think about what's to come when they get older but if I had to choose? honestly I would rather them smoke than drink...alcohol is far worse IMO
Heidi 03:45 PM 12-19-2012

Certainly sad though.
exactly....
Heidi 03:54 PM 12-19-2012
Moderation to anything is key. Even with chocolate chip cookies!! LOL. I'm sure there are people that smoke way too much pot and are useless, just like there are people that drink too much and are not productive and people that abuse prescription pills can be useless. I think that people that smoke pot occasionally really get a bad rap. I smoke it maybe and I repeat maybe once a year. I have too many drinks several times a year!!
Hey...there are people who eat too many chocolate chip cookies, too. While I wont call anyone "useless", it does make it harder to get off the couch!
lovemykidstoo 03:56 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Hey...there are people who eat too many chocolate chip cookies, too. While I wont call anyone "useless", it does make it harder to get off the couch!
Have you been looking in my windows LOL!!!!
Heidi 04:01 PM 12-19-2012
Have you been looking in my windows LOL!!!!
nope...IN THE MIRROR!
lovemykidstoo 04:02 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
nope...IN THE MIRROR!
bwahahaha!!!!
familyschoolcare 05:01 PM 12-19-2012

I under what you are saying about the medical uses of marijuana. Just think it makes more sense to make it a prescription drug. The federal government has the power to classify it as such? This would allow doctors to prescribe it thus cutting down on those who are claiming medical use when it is really recreational use. It would also allow for easier access to those needing it for medical use.

While you are right that the effects of marijuana smoke on lungs is different than the effects of tobacco spoke it is still a negative effect.
littlemissmuffet 06:39 PM 12-19-2012
Almost everyone I know and have ever known (friends, family, clients, co-workers, etc - two of whom are Mensa members) smoke weed and don't have fried brains. I bet YOU know many more people who smoke weed than you think and you just don't know about it.
Reply Up