Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cyber School/Home Schooling While Running a Daycare
Maria2013 09:39 AM 08-25-2013
has anyone done it?

we're thinking about trying cyber school for our own kids but with a busy daycare, I wonder how it's gonna work out
I would like to hear from others who actually done the cyber or home schooling so I can get suggestions on how to organize etc.

Thank you
Cradle2crayons 09:42 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
has anyone done it?

we're thinking about trying cyber school for our own kids but with a busy daycare, I wonder how it's gonna work out
I would like to hear from others who actually done the cyber or home schooling so I can get suggestions on how to organize etc.

Thank you
Several providers here currently Home school with their daycare.

I don't currently but used to. Not cyber school but regular home school. It wasn't that hard, but organization is a must.

I homeschooled Monday through Thursday for 3-4 hours total per day, depending in the age group.

Lots of time management.
Angelsj 09:57 AM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
has anyone done it?

Thank you
I home school the remaining two of my kiddos, run a daycare full time and I am in college full time.
Two words, time management.
I don't know how old your kids are, but this is easier when they are older. If they are under 5th-6th grade they are going to need your supervision and possibly your help as well. That should be taken into account.

If they are older than that, they will need less help and supervision (assuming they understand what you are doing and are on board) and they can be of more help around the house.

One example is: I get up and get all daycare kids in and fed breakfast, then all school agers out the door to school. My 12 yo then comes down (at about 8:15) and stays with the littles while I go upstairs and get dressed. Any tiny babies come with me. She eats and keeps an eye on them while they play in the same room. I can hear everything going on.

At 8:30, I come downstairs, go over her needs for the day for school and get her going. She does most of her work at her desk in her room upstairs.
Meanwhile, the 13 yo is getting up and getting breakfast, then doing his morning chores in the animal shelter. He is usually done and ready to go by 9:30. Both are fairly independent in their school and know to come find me (often in the back yard) to ask questions.

Subjects that need my instruction are done at nap/rest time, or in the early evening after supper. By 7 pm, when my husband leaves for work, I have three hours of uninterrupted time to study.
Both children have chores that help maintain the house and I spend about an hour before supper with the animals in the shelter, cleaning and checking them, as my kids are typically gone by 4pm.

It is tight, but can be done. Figure out what you need done, what your kids are capable of helping with, and what can wait until the weekend, and what really does not need to be done at all. You can do it!
Maria2013 10:24 AM 08-25-2013
my oldest does not want to do cyber school so I only have a 13yr old and a 10yr old...I think the 13yr old will be capable to manage on his own for the most part, but my 10yr old I'm afraid will need a lot of help understanding directions

Angelsj, wow! you've got a lot on your hands (animal shelter how cool!) but it seem to me you have got it all under control

Thank you both for your comments
Angelsj 10:52 AM 08-25-2013
It's busy, but I have been doing this a very long time.
You will get the hang of it. The biggest problem I see with families just starting out, particularly when their kids are older is not giving the kids any responsibility. This does them no favors.

Kids NEED to know they are contributing to the family, and they need those skills for the future. My 12 yo is nearly to the point that I could drop her off in one grocery store with a list and my debit card, and she could do ALL the shopping for the family and daycare, pay for it, bag it and meet me out front.

When they do that for the first time, all alone, their confidence skyrockets. If this is what your family wants, you will make it happen.

LOL Short answer: Yes, it can be done.
cheerfuldom 12:16 PM 08-25-2013
I agree with the other poster....its absolutely doable but a big part of it is having time management and it helps immensely if your children are older and are able to stay on task without you micro managing. we were planning on homeschooling my preschooler and kinder kids this year but it ended up being too much for me as my preschooler was exhibiting some special needs and I had to replace two daycare kids. both replacements were very young. all that combined made homeschooling too much of a stretch for us, time wise, because my husband also works a lot so everything regarding schooling, household, daycare falls on me some weeks with his work schedule.

have you looked into curriculums that provide DVDs, online classroom, online tutors? does your area have homeschooling groups and support? do you perhaps have a university model school?

we plan to consider our university model school in a couple years because they only offer this for 3rd grade and up....basically the kids go to class for three days a week and its a partnership with homeschooling parents. sort of the best of both worlds between homeschooling and a traditional classroom.
Maria2013 12:50 PM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
It's busy, but I have been doing this a very long time.
You will get the hang of it. The biggest problem I see with families just starting out, particularly when their kids are older is not giving the kids any responsibility. This does them no favors.
I agree with you, we sometime baby our kids too much
Thanks for the support
Maria2013 12:56 PM 08-25-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
have you looked into curriculums that provide DVDs, online classroom, online tutors?
yes! I could never home school my kids I'm way too busy managing preschooler and infants in my daycare, but we are considering cyber school because they would have an actual online teacher....I'm just trying to figure out how much parental assistance is actually needed
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 08-25-2013
More threads about homeschooling and operating a daycare

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=homeschool
Maria2013 06:45 PM 08-25-2013
Thank you!
Play Care 03:55 AM 08-26-2013
Not sure if you are licensed, but in my state if I were homeschooling my own kids they would count in my ratio. I would have to term two of my FT dck's. Just something to look into.
Maria2013 05:46 AM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Not sure if you are licensed, but in my state if I were homeschooling my own kids they would count in my ratio. I would have to term two of my FT dck's. Just something to look into.
Yes I am licensed!
For what I understand cyber school is not considered homeschooling because I'm not the teacher!

Virtual classrooms is something very new here, we don't know all the details and regulations so thank you for bringing that up, definitely something to look into
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up