Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When You Are Low On Kids?
kelsey's kids 05:10 PM 12-01-2013
I was full in August and due to financial issues with some of my dcps now have several openings. I have advertised like crazy the last couple months but have only had a couple calls with no follow through. What do you fo when you are slow to get yourself through it both financially and mentally. I am so stressed right now
providerandmomof4 06:01 PM 12-01-2013
I know how you feel....I was full, for the most part, without really having to struggle for clients for the past two years.
This school year it has been a real struggle. I have three full time, not including my dgd and had to take two sibs with a very late schedule. I haven't been able to replace them because no one is calling.
I think the only way I manage to get through these lean times is to sacrifice. I really don't want to any more. Looking at other options for after the new year. But that's just me. I'm just tired of the lean times.
Annalee 06:45 PM 12-01-2013
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
I was full in August and due to financial issues with some of my dcps now have several openings. I have advertised like crazy the last couple months but have only had a couple calls with no follow through. What do you fo when you are slow to get yourself through it both financially and mentally. I am so stressed right now
I have been blessed with many siblings being born the past couple years..the economy here is not so good either so dc has been hit hard all around.

From a mental and financial standpoint, I am licensed for 12 and I did the math where if I only have 8 kids paying 52 weeks a yr, I would make more than anywhere else and it would be a steady check, plus still enjoy the perks of being my own boss....

I love my job and am very strict with my contract ( hours, vacation, etc.) so I am in this for the long-haul...I hope the economy picks up because it is much harder now to keep full-time steady enrollment.

I think it is a mindset that "I LOVE FCC" that keeps me going. There are four providers in the surrounding counties I receive encouragement and guidance from and I try to offer the same to them personally and professionally.

Just some thoughts!
Scout 06:50 PM 12-01-2013
It took me months to replace the siblings I lost in Oct(I was given notice in Aug that they would be leaving) and the new siblings I have start tomorrow. I went out and got a pt job at night in Oct to help ends meet and my own sanity! It really is great to be working outside of the home too. It's only 13 hours a week so it doesn't add on a lot of extra hours.
Crazy8 08:25 PM 12-01-2013
going thru it now... wish I had a good answer for you. I am worried, not only for the lack of income this time of year but also because 2 of my older ones left and now I know the mom of my other one that age is contemplating leaving only because she's the only one in that age range now. Its near impossible to get someone looking for care for a child over 2 around here.
LaLa1923 05:00 AM 12-02-2013
What worked for me was evaluating my program fully. I made a few changes and I'm not sure if they helped but it made me feel better!

I also accepted clients I may not have before. For me, it means I am now open on Saturdays and I close at 9pm, but I make over $1,000 in the food program alone now. I started thinking, if I did get another job I'd be working those hours anyway, so I took those family needing different hours.

HUGE HUGS to you!! I know it is tough but things will get better!!

Unregistered 10:13 AM 12-02-2013
I reassessed my program, what I offer, how I interview and whom I interview, and I raised my fees since I only keep a small group. Before I was interviewing a lot of families that I was not interested in registering, when my fees went up, my clientele changed Im now able to select better, and keep families that I can work with.

I realized that before I was offering too much for too little $.
butterfly 10:28 AM 12-02-2013
I'm sure this won't help you right now, but I try to set aside atleast one child's income to carry me through the slower times.

Could you mention to your current clients that you have some openings available? Maybe even offer some sort of "reward" for a good referral.

Or maybe offer some special services. Like a date night for parents or a saturday for limited hours for them to go Christmas shopping. I've seen several ads in my area offering these special services through the holiday. I'm sure they are trying to generate some extra $ for Christmas.

This type of special service could actually land you some full time clients if they end up liking you and your set up....

kelsey's kids 12:02 PM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:413610:
I'm sure this won't help you right now, but I try to set aside atleast one child's income to carry me through the slower times.

Could you mention to your current clients that you have some openings available? Maybe even offer some sort of "reward" for a good referral.

Or maybe offer some special services. Like a date night for parents or a saturday for limited hours for them to go Christmas shopping. I've seen several ads in my area offering these special services through the holiday. I'm sure they are trying to generate some extra $ for Christmas.

This type of special service could actually land you some full time clients if they end up liking you and your set up....

I is funny that you would mention all that because that is what I already do. My parents get one week free for every full time referral after the child has been in care for 5 weeks. I am currently offering the sane deal to new full time enrollments. We do a monthly date night that is an ovenighter one Saturday a month. We always have a great turn out. Just must be the economy right now. We alsi set aside my husband whole paycheck and have a great savings account but it just stresses me out to the max if I have to use it
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 12-02-2013
There is a definitely ebb and flow to this business. Some years I am overflowing with potential clients and other years I am grateful to have the ones I have.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even after 2 decades in this business, the constant ebb and flow hasn't changed.

I think it is simply the way it is.

Hang in there....I hope this dry spell passes quickly for you!

Lorri 05:35 PM 12-02-2013
My worst time was five years ago I was going threw radiation treatment for breast cancer, I live in a tiny tiny town of 400 so I had to travel a hour on way for treatment I had a friend come in to cover for me so what few clients I had didn't leave but I could fill my three opening because I didn't want to put that on her. That was in January and I didn't get full until May. I almost went out of business. I usually let my friends know with word of mouth or post it on Facebook
jessrlee 03:50 AM 12-03-2013
When I'm low on kids I tend to get really stressed out. As soon as I calm down, add some things to the website, make a goal to post on FB every day, and tell my current clients that I have spots to fill I get a few calls and fill up again
Maria2013 06:05 AM 12-03-2013
I feel the economy will pick up soon so hang in there
hugs to all that are struggling
kelsey's kids 08:44 PM 12-18-2013
I am still low and very worried about filling up as I haven't gotten any calls since first week of December and just got word that my last two full time kids are moving to a different state. I offer more than any provider in my area including hours. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have flyers up everywhere crags list, Facebook word of mouth but still no calls
coolconfidentme 03:30 AM 12-19-2013
I focus on what I have to offer & advertise it. I also give my parents a referral fee for bringing in clients. Good luck!!
Maria2013 05:25 AM 12-19-2013
I believe in the "Law of Attraction" ....positive thinking attracts positive outcome, so when I have an opening I just carry around a positive feeling that it's just a matter of time and I can choose to spend this waiting period in a constructive way, rather than waste it worrying
I focus on the pro (less kids = easier days for a while) and refuse to think of the loss of income...I know most would laugh, but it has worked for me

good luck
JoseyJo 05:31 AM 12-19-2013
I am still low and very worried about filling up as I haven't gotten any calls since first week of December and just got word that my last two full time kids are moving to a different state. I offer more than any provider in my area including hours. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have flyers up everywhere crags list, Facebook word of mouth but still no calls
Maybe focus on quality over quantity. If 24/6 isn't getting you clients (and they are out there to have) maybe scale back (ad-wise) by offering second shift care, or 3rd shift, in an ad. I try to look at the other CL ads in my area and see what they aren't offering that I think parents look for then I focus on that.

When I first started there were very few 2 provider home daycares and we were one so I focused on that a lot. Then later it was offering preschool curriculum so I focused on that, then field trips, then healthy homemade meals. I have always done all those things but I focused only on the ones that seemed like there was a "want" for it out in the community.

Something else I have noticed in the field is that the parents who want very extended hours, deals on childcare, and "special" for their child (no outside, no saying no, things that would change your program just for them) are worse than having NO clients. By focusing on the "wanted" aspects of what you offer at a FAIR price (not too high or low for your area) you have the best chance of filling up.

Oh! And I have also found that Dec is the WORST month of the year for calls. I get about 1 call a week year round when I am not advertising, 3-4 calls when I am. Any year I have been advertising in Dec I have never received more than a call a week and that is usually for an infant or someone needed "right now" (as in I have been kicked out of my last daycare) care.

Here's praying that Jan brings you lots of calls and great daycare parents!
Crazy8 06:33 AM 12-19-2013
I replied to this when you first posted but replying again that I am also still in the same spot and actually it got worse because one on maternity leave is cutting down to part time... haven't gotten a SINGLE call for daycare since October. I have a website, am on care.com, tried ads on craigslist (even for holiday shopping drop in care) and all I get are spam emails about taking a child for a month and they will wire me the money (yeah, ok.).

I am going to a rice and beans mentality right after the new year. I am going to see how close we can get to surviving on DH's salary alone. I don't know if I can do it but I am reading up on some of my old Dave Ramsey books/websites and really going to scale back on everything financially. I am really just hoping that after the new year people start looking for care.
kelsey's kids 06:48 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:419310:
I believe in the "Law of Attraction" ....positive thinking attracts positive outcome, so when I have an opening I just carry around a positive feeling that it's just a matter of time and I can choose to spend this waiting period in a constructive way, rather than waste it worrying
I focus on the pro (less kids = easier days for a while) and refuse to think of the loss of income...I know most would laugh, but it has worked for me

good luck
That is so awesome if only I can put that intro practice. Going to give it a try
kelsey's kids 06:54 AM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:419339:
I replied to this when you first posted but replying again that I am also still in the same spot and actually it got worse because one on maternity leave is cutting down to part time... haven't gotten a SINGLE call for daycare since October. I have a website, am on care.com, tried ads on craigslist (even for holiday shopping drop in care) and all I get are spam emails about taking a child for a month and they will wire me the money (yeah, ok.).

I am going to a rice and beans mentality right after the new year. I am going to see how close we can get to surviving on DH's salary alone. I don't know if I can do it but I am reading up on some of my old Dave Ramsey books/websites and really going to scale back on everything financially. I am really just hoping that after the new year people start looking for care.
Yea that is how it is here. I am beyond stressed because we have some big expenses coming up in The new year such as taxes and we have to have over head sprinklers in by August but can't find a plumber who will put them in our current house do to they type of calling it has so we have to move. Which means potentially two mortages until we sale. There is also absolutely no way to live off of dh because he is only bring in 800 a month. Just need some calls and all will be good
Maria2013 09:35 AM 12-19-2013
That is so awesome if only I can put that intro practice. Going to give it a try
I'm glad to hear that cause believe it or not, we really do manifest our thoughts ....so if you focus on the lack of/ loss/ worries , you automatically attract more of that into your life..

and yes I was a skeptic too, until I decided to test this concept out
Tags:bad economy, spots - losing
Reply Up