Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Give An Inch..........
crazydaycarelady 08:01 AM 01-16-2014
I have been allowing 2 families to bring their kids in pjs. One gets here very early because of a long commute and the other baby gets here and goes straight back to bed. I really don't mind changing them at all.

BUT....... today the first 6 kids showed up in pjs now! One mom got here 15 minutes before my opening and sat in the driveway! Why didn't she just stay home and get her chid dressed (she looks on fb while she waits.) The other family came at 8:30! At that time of morning you can have your child dressed!

Gimme a break people!
Annalee 08:52 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have been allowing 2 families to bring their kids in pjs. One gets here very early because of a long commute and the other baby gets here and goes straight back to bed. I really don't mind changing them at all.

BUT....... today the first 6 kids showed up in pjs now! One mom got here 15 minutes before my opening and sat in the driveway! Why didn't she just stay home and get her chid dressed (she looks on fb while she waits.) The other family came at 8:30! At that time of morning you can have your child dressed!

Gimme a break people!
Peer pressure in parents! Gotta do what everyone else does....more high-maintenance parents (that is what I call them). You are right, they force us to be "mean" sometimes....I feel like saying "act your age"...this is not a kid problem, it is a parent problem!!!!!!!
itlw8 08:53 AM 01-16-2014
that must be the clothes they chose for the day. Send them back home in the PJ tonight.
kathiemarie 08:56 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
that must be the clothes they chose for the day. Send them back home in the PJ tonight.
This is I what I do. They go home the same way the come.
BrooklynM 10:20 AM 01-16-2014
All of my kids come in their PJ's. I honestly don't mind it. I have 2 that come at 6:15 am so they go back down to sleep and then the others come later, but mostly they wear their PJ's and then I change them after snack.

If I had more than 4 or 5 kids, then that would be annoying!

The biggest thing that bugs me about dressing kids are SHOES! I don't allow shoes in the playroom (it is wall to wall foam flooring) but when we go outside or when it is time to leave and we have to put on shoes, its always a pain. Converse are the worst!
daycarediva 10:23 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
This is I what I do. They go home the same way the come.
Yup. It's even in my handbook. If you send them in pjs, they stay in pjs. I have made an exception to my 6am drop off, but he can change himself when he gets up and moving around 7:30.
jenboo 10:29 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
All of my kids come in their PJ's. I honestly don't mind it. I have 2 that come at 6:15 am so they go back down to sleep and then the others come later, but mostly they wear their PJ's and then I change them after snack.

If I had more than 4 or 5 kids, then that would be annoying!

The biggest thing that bugs me about dressing kids are SHOES! I don't allow shoes in the playroom (it is wall to wall foam flooring) but when we go outside or when it is time to leave and we have to put on shoes, its always a pain. Converse are the worst!

I have one who usually comes in jammies. it doesnt bother me. I really wouldnt mind if all 4-6 kids came in jammies. But thats just me.

I HATE CONVERSE!!!!!!!!
melilley 10:35 AM 01-16-2014
My dck's stay in whatever they come in as well. The only downside to this is, is it's a pain in the butt when the dck's who are in diapers, wear the one piece pj's with a million snaps!
Lucy 10:50 AM 01-16-2014
I had a mom that would bring her 18 mo old in pj's. She'd say "his clothes are in the bag". It wasn't every day, but a couple times a week. I changed him into regular clothes a couple times, then I thought.... ummm, NO!

So I started just leaving him in the pj's for the day! (He was only here 4-5 hours, which included a nap.) The first time, she said to HIM, "buddy, why are you still in your pj's??" with a snide little laugh. I said nothing. The next time, she said - again to HIM - "you're wearing your pj's again?" Odd, because that's what I would think (but not say outloud) whenever they showed up at the door in pj's!

After the 3rd time, it never happened again.

I hate how some of them think we're their nanny, and that their kid is the only one we have to worry about.
lovemykidstoo 10:54 AM 01-16-2014
I had 1 child that used to come in PJ's too. He didn't get here until 7:30 so I don't know why he still had them on. The thing is, most of these kids are in diapers. Don't ya have to pretty much undress them to get a new diaper on? Why not just take 2 minutes (or less) and get them dressed. Lazy!

I cannot stand laziness by parents. I have twin girls that came this morning at 8:15 and about 10:00 they started asking about food. They both said "daddy forgot to give us breakfast". How do you forget to feed your kid?
providerandmomof4 10:55 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:

melilley 10:58 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:

I cannot stand laziness by parents. I have twin girls that came this morning at 8:15 and about 10:00 they started asking about food. They both said "daddy forgot to give us breakfast". How do you forget to feed your kid?
That drives me nuts! I have one parent who lets his 1 yo. eat in the car on the way here! He even had a whole apple a few times with skin on and everything that he had started to eat in the car on the way here! Today he had a banana with the peel on-it was peeled back, but still! Dcd just said "L. was working on his banana on the way here" The apple with the peel really scares me though! He does spit out the peel, I wonder what the back of their truck looks like..
TwinKristi 11:09 AM 01-16-2014
I don't mind them coming PJs at all. It's kind of fun getting everyone dressed in the morning. I'm weird though and like picking their outfits. It bugs me when kids wear mismatched clothes. LOL
Eating on the way here bugs me though. I've had one DCB arrive with PB all over himself, banana in his hair, he choked on Cheerios once and vomited all over his arm and she brought him in his vomit-covered PJs! Yuck!!
wabbittrouble 12:42 PM 01-18-2014
I don't know what the big deal is, except that it's a little annoying to be doing a task that the parents should be doing themselves. Most of the kids can get themselves dressed if you put the clothes out for them, can't they? Even for 5 kids, it wouldn't take that long to do - I consider it part of the job most of the time. There are a lot worse things I can think of.
crazydaycarelady 02:32 PM 01-18-2014
Yes, there ARE worse things but these are all 2yo or under so I have to help them. I guess I just feel like if the parents don't think they have time to do it why do they think I do? Also the ones the come early I have talked to their parents about it and told them it was fine, since it is so early. The others just assumed I would do it, which is the most annoying part.

I've never been bothered by doing it before either, but then all of the sudden - 6 kids needing to be dressed!
Hunni Bee 04:06 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Yes, there ARE worse things but these are all 2yo or under so I have to help them. I guess I just feel like if the parents don't think they have time to do it why do they think I do? Also the ones the come early I have talked to their parents about it and told them it was fine, since it is so early. The others just assumed I would do it, which is the most annoying part.

I've never been bothered by doing it before either, but then all of the sudden - 6 kids needing to be dressed!
I totally understand where you are coming from.

Its crazy how all.of them just decided to do that on the same day though. Did they get together and plan it on fb or something lol.
Play Care 06:23 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by wabbittrouble:
I don't know what the big deal is, except that it's a little annoying to be doing a task that the parents should be doing themselves. Most of the kids can get themselves dressed if you put the clothes out for them, can't they? Even for 5 kids, it wouldn't take that long to do - I consider it part of the job most of the time. There are a lot worse things I can think of.
I do NOT consider dressing children for the day part of my job - and I'm clear about that in my contract. The only time I allow kids in the house with their pj's if for designated pajama day. But my main issue with having kids come in their pjs is that is shows a lack of respect for the provider and the daily schedule. I'm willing to bet that if parents do this, they are also doing other things they are not supposed to. Sometimes putting your foot down for seemingly "minor" things means that it doesn't escalate to bigger issues down the road.
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by wabbittrouble:
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I do NOT consider dressing children for the day part of my job - and I'm clear about that in my contract. The only time I allow kids in the house with their pj's if for designated pajama day. But my main issue with having kids come in their pjs is that is shows a lack of respect for the provider and the daily schedule. I'm willing to bet that if parents do this, they are also doing other things they are not supposed to. Sometimes putting your foot down for seemingly "minor" things means that it doesn't escalate to bigger issues down the road.
TOTALLY agree. Dressing kids is NOT part of my job.

The kids stay in whatever they arrive in.

If they arrive with food on them from breakfast in the car, I just hand mom or dad the box of wet wipes and let them take of it before the child enter the main area.

As far as shoes go, I love Converse... They tie tightly and fit well.
Unregistered 04:56 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I had 1 child that used to come in PJ's too. He didn't get here until 7:30 so I don't know why he still had them on. The thing is, most of these kids are in diapers. Don't ya have to pretty much undress them to get a new diaper on? Why not just take 2 minutes (or less) and get them dressed. Lazy!

OMG my HUSBAND is guilty of this. It drives ME NUTS! He KNOWS I was a former DCP and didn't like this when other parents did this, and the DCP knows when daddy gets the kids ready vs when *I* do. She ended up just telling me that it would be easier for the kids to eat at her house so she could claim them anyway, but still!
taylorw1210 06:14 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I don't mind them coming PJs at all. It's kind of fun getting everyone dressed in the morning. I'm weird though and like picking their outfits. It bugs me when kids wear mismatched clothes. LOL
This is me. I usually end up changing the younger kids by the end of the day because I like them to look clean and fresh and surely they've gotten something on them between snacks and lunch and the crafts we do, anyways.
Tags:dress code, pajamas, parental responsibility
Reply Up