Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would Be a Vent If It Wasn't So Funny
auntymimi 05:11 PM 08-07-2015
so.....I got a crazy call today. Dcm needs care for a 16 mo about 7 hrs a day. Ok no prob, begin to look at calendar for available interview times, when mom proceeds to tell me her schedule and it sounds perfect. 7 hrs a day, 4 days a week mon thru Thursday. Mom then goes on to say that I "won't have to worry about nap" as she naps him later at home. 7am to 2 no nap. 16 mos old. That,s not even the kicker. She wants to pay 50 dollars a week. And apparently she,s been offered that! I. Just. Can,t.
grateday 06:30 PM 08-07-2015
Yeah...............
Febby 07:13 PM 08-07-2015
I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 24 hour home provider for $75/week. That doesn't include meals, but still. Average here for family home providers is $125-140/week. Surprise, that provider doesn't appear to be licensed or certified...
AuntTami 07:29 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
I saw an ad on Craigslist for a 24 hour home provider for $75/week. That doesn't include meals, but still. Average here for family home providers is $125-140/week. Surprise, that provider doesn't appear to be licensed or certified...
I'm neither licensed or certified and can't afford to offer care that cheap. I see it around my area too but I'm certain they are WAY over ratios. They would have to be around here.

7am-2pm no nap at 16 months old? No way. Nap time in the morning AT LEAST but I wouldn't take him because he would interrupt everyone else during that time. PASS!
cheerfuldom 07:35 PM 08-07-2015
why is she still looking if she already has been offered $50 a week with her schedule? i say she is lying
auntymimi 07:38 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
What got me, though, is that I am. And in a prime location for my are, as we live in a very rural community and I'm central to pretty much all employment opportunities. I run a great program ( mom got my name word of mouth) and accept under two's. ( we can only have 2 at a time but I personally would only take one, so dck would have much more 1 to1 from me than most others, Dcm was told this) I guess what really bugs me is that all the calls I'm getting (besides my subsidy clients) really only focus on as lowball price as they can get. I get that times are tough, but good lord! I happily paid almost twice what I'm asking for half the hours for my kids when I worked, and I was a waitress, not a doctor! What kind of care are you going to find for a baby on 12 dollars a day? I provide mostly from scratch meals, a tot school curriculum, awesome backyard, daily nature walks, crafts/ process art..... But nobody cares. They just want as close to free as possible. One of the reasons I decided to become a provider is because quality care is so hard to find in my community. Now I know why.
auntymimi 07:46 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
why is she still looking if she already has been offered $50 a week with her schedule? i say she is lying
Unfortunately we have such a low income area that it's entirely possible she could find a sahm, grandma on "disability", or whatever to warehouse him for 12 bucks a day. Throw him in the Pnp with some Cheetos while she watches soaps. I just can't afford that as I am licensed to take subsidy ( which doesn't pay a lot but it's more than that) and can only have so many kids of certain ages, not to mention I'm awesome and I give these kids all of me when they're here!
auntymimi 07:53 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I'm neither licensed or certified and can't afford to offer care that cheap. I see it around my area too but I'm certain they are WAY over ratios. They would have to be around here.

7am-2pm no nap at 16 months old? No way. Nap time in the morning AT LEAST but I wouldn't take him because he would interrupt everyone else during that time. PASS!
Yeah, I could never agree to that. I think mom thought less hours in care=less money?
Either way, he would have to be napped at 12:30, as per schedule and picked at 3:00 or picked up by 12:30 which would inevitably leave me waiting to nap 3-6 cranky toddlers till mom showed up, and we all know how that goes.
Josiegirl 03:53 AM 08-08-2015
WHAT???? You're not gonna jump right on that opportunity??

Blackcat31 07:58 AM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
What got me, though, is that I am. And in a prime location for my are, as we live in a very rural community and I'm central to pretty much all employment opportunities. I run a great program ( mom got my name word of mouth) and accept under two's. ( we can only have 2 at a time but I personally would only take one, so dck would have much more 1 to1 from me than most others, Dcm was told this) I guess what really bugs me is that all the calls I'm getting (besides my subsidy clients) really only focus on as lowball price as they can get. I get that times are tough, but good lord! I happily paid almost twice what I'm asking for half the hours for my kids when I worked, and I was a waitress, not a doctor! What kind of care are you going to find for a baby on 12 dollars a day? I provide mostly from scratch meals, a tot school curriculum, awesome backyard, daily nature walks, crafts/ process art..... But nobody cares. They just want as close to free as possible. One of the reasons I decided to become a provider is because quality care is so hard to find in my community. Now I know why.
Unfortunately we have such a low income area that it's entirely possible she could find a sahm, grandma on "disability", or whatever to warehouse him for 12 bucks a day. Throw him in the Pnp with some Cheetos while she watches soaps. I just can't afford that as I am licensed to take subsidy ( which doesn't pay a lot but it's more than that) and can only have so many kids of certain ages, not to mention I'm awesome and I give these kids all of me when they're here!
What gets me is providers that think rate equates to quality.

Just because you wouldn't take on a child/family wanting to pay $50 for 28 hrs a week or that you cant afford to provide care for that cost doesnt mean someone else cant or wont.

Its not an automatic guarantee that just because you charge a certain amount that you provide quality care. I know several providers that charge some of the highest rates in my area but none of those providers are considered the best or highest quality programs in the area.

On the flip side, I know a couple fantastic providers that dont charge much at all compared to others (for various reasons)

Basically, if YOU cant afford to provide care for the #of hours/cost the parent is asking, then pass but dont assume other providers cant do it or if they do that the child will be confined and fed Cheetos all day.

This would be a great job for a college student or SAHM or any small family provider that wanted it and could accommodate the hours. In all of those situations the child would possibly get more one on one than you are offering so in comparison could be considered higher quality.

We all define quality differently and to knock someone for having a different definition isnt good business practice at all. Not all families are a good fit for a provider/program and not all providers are a good fit for a family.

Its okay if you simply cant provide what this parent is asking. But dont assume someone else cant or if they do will provide less quality than you.

Im not trying to give you a hard time but when these kinds of post are posted on an open/public forum that parents read, its no wonder child care providers often get a bad rap.
Josiegirl 09:55 AM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Im not trying to give you a hard time but when these kinds of post are posted on an open/public forum that parents read, its no wonder child care providers often get a bad rap.
Of course you're right BC.

But I'm also sure more than a few of us have been burnt by parents who consider paying their provider, low priority in their lives when it should be the opposite. They try to get away with as much as they can for as little as they can. So every time we see something like this, we're only assuming it's the same scenario. We don't know the logistics or details so we really shouldn't be assuming.

Quality providers? Yes, it goes without saying there are definite ideas on what a quality program offers. Hasn't it been long (mis)understood that providers are mere babysitters who don't engage their kids, sit on their butts all day eating bon-bons, and watching soaps?
I believe it's only been in the past 10-15 years that people are seeing us in a different eye; that we're educated, love kids, are constantly learning. We don't do this just because we can't do anything else(Lord knows it is NOT an easy job!!).

As human beings we do tend to judge and assume more than we should. I have to admit I used to assume school teachers had it way too easy, getting all that time off during the year and summer too!?!?! Wow, dream job, right?? Now?? They couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher within the school systems.

Sometimes all we need is some enlightenment.
Crazy8 03:32 PM 08-08-2015
I think my response would have been "wow, you found a great daycare provider who will watch your non-napping 16 month old for $1.75 per hour??? You better jump on that opportunity, don't think another one like that will come around any time soon".
auntymimi 07:04 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What gets me is providers that think rate equates to quality.

Just because you wouldn't take on a child/family wanting to pay $50 for 28 hrs a week or that you cant afford to provide care for that cost doesnt mean someone else cant or wont.

Its not an automatic guarantee that just because you charge a certain amount that you provide quality care. I know several providers that charge some of the highest rates in my area but none of those providers are considered the best or highest quality programs in the area.

On the flip side, I know a couple fantastic providers that dont charge much at all compared to others (for various reasons)

Basically, if YOU cant afford to provide care for the #of hours/cost the parent is asking, then pass but dont assume other providers cant do it or if they do that the child will be confined and fed Cheetos all day.

This would be a great job for a college student or SAHM or any small family provider that wanted it and could accommodate the hours. In all of those situations the child would possibly get more one on one than you are offering so in comparison could be considered higher quality.

We all define quality differently and to knock someone for having a different definition isnt good business practice at all. Not all families are a good fit for a provider/program and not all providers are a good fit for a family.

Its okay if you simply cant provide what this parent is asking. But dont assume someone else cant or if they do will provide less quality than you.

I get what you're saying, I do. Some of my comments come across as negative and condescending. I get that way when tired and frustrated. I can honestly say that I've never worked so hard in my life, and I've waited tables forever, so I'm no stranger to it.:.We live in a very rural place. Like no walmart or mcd's for an hours drive rural. We have a very low population number. Everybody knows everybody, who didn't show up for church is news. I'm one of only 7 licensed providers including our center, which is still rather small.I am the only provider with a spot for under 2 besides our center. Our center charges by the week, not the day (as is the norm with fcc providers, most of our clients are forced to rely on subsidy and they won't pay fcc providers unless child is present and parent is working) so many self pay parents prefer the pay flexibility of fcc. One of the reasons I became a provider was because I had such a hard time finding reliable quality care for my own children. Now,I'm not saying that being licensed by the state always equates to better care, I'm simply trying to explain that, with most of the parents in my county qualifying for assistance and the rest preferring the payment flexibility that the licensed fcc provides, my under 2 spot is in pretty high demand. And if there really was someone out there providing great care for the low low price of 12 dollars a day, I would know about it. In hind site, I do believe dcm was fibbing. And I take offense to parents expecting me to lower my care rate by half because so and so would. If she was really getting quality care and all kinds of special for that, why would she even call me, Kwim? That being said, what I said about warehousing kids was mean. But I HAVE seen it. Personally. Dcm wanted a licensed provider, wanted meals and snacks provided, wanted low ratios, wanted art, no tv,sensory and water time activities, not to mention NO nap during my nap hours, and she wanted it for a discount. Not because she's needy, our ccr&r doesn't have a wait list if you're determined to be in need all you have to do is fill out the paperwork. (I know of her and where she works, one of the better jobs here) I never meant to bash any op, Sahm included, but it is frustrating. I got caught being human. Still, I have a hard time finding that anyone could care for a small child for 12$ a day while providing healthy meals and snacks, art materials, ethical/regulatory ratios and enough room for the to play and be comfortable and still make a profit. At the end of the day my opinion is just that. An opinion. I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone too strongly. I enjoy learning from this forum, and others who have done this professionally for years. BC I respect your opinion imensely.
spedmommy4 07:50 PM 08-08-2015
I get what you're saying, I do. Some of my comments come across as negative and condescending. I get that way when tired and frustrated. I can honestly say that I've never worked so hard in my life, and I've waited tables forever, so I'm no stranger to it.:.We live in a very rural place. Like no walmart or mcd's for an hours drive rural. We have a very low population number. Everybody knows everybody, who didn't show up for church is news. I'm one of only 7 licensed providers including our center, which is still rather small.I am the only provider with a spot for under 2 besides our center. Our center charges by the week, not the day (as is the norm with fcc providers, most of our clients are forced to rely on subsidy and they won't pay fcc providers unless child is present and parent is working) so many self pay parents prefer the pay flexibility of fcc. One of the reasons I became a provider was because I had such a hard time finding reliable quality care for my own children. Now,I'm not saying that being licensed by the state always equates to better care, I'm simply trying to explain that, with most of the parents in my county qualifying for assistance and the rest preferring the payment flexibility that the licensed fcc provides, my under 2 spot is in pretty high demand. And if there really was someone out there providing great care for the low low price of 12 dollars a day, I would know about it. In hind site, I do believe dcm was fibbing. And I take offense to parents expecting me to lower my care rate by half because so and so would. If she was really getting quality care and all kinds of special for that, why would she even call me, Kwim? That being said, what I said about warehousing kids was mean. But I HAVE seen it. Personally. Dcm wanted a licensed provider, wanted meals and snacks provided, wanted low ratios, wanted art, no tv,sensory and water time activities, not to mention NO nap during my nap hours, and she wanted it for a discount. Not because she's needy, our ccr&r doesn't have a wait list if you're determined to be in need all you have to do is fill out the paperwork. (I know of her and where she works, one of the better jobs here) I never meant to bash any op, Sahm included, but it is frustrating. I got caught being human. Still, I have a hard time finding that anyone could care for a small child for 12$ a day while providing healthy meals and snacks, art materials, ethical/regulatory ratios and enough room for the to play and be comfortable and still make a profit. At the end of the day my opinion is just that. An opinion. I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone too strongly. I enjoy learning from this forum, and others who have done this professionally for years. BC I respect your opinion imensely.
I am going to jump in on this one too. I recently read an article, and I wish I could find it now, about how parents demand for low priced child care is affecting one country in Europe. The article talked extensively about how demands had driven prices down over time, subsidies went down accordingly and caused many centers to close up shop. In that market, parents were placing junior on a waiting list for child care as soon as a pregnancy was confirmed, and still weren't guaranteed a spot.

I am sure that a person can provide quality care for a little one for a low rate but I think it becomes a problem when the market gets flooded with $50 and $75 a week babysitters. When quality home childcare providers can't make ends meet, they move on.

Back in 2004, when I opened my first child care business, my rates were only $40 less than they are now. A $40 increase in 11 years isn't much, and some parents balk at my $3 an hour rate. My hope is that parents will come to see that spending money child's early childhood program is not money down the drain but an investment in their child's future.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Of course you're right BC.
Aw, thanks but I'm not trying to be right...I'm just trying to remind everyone that we are on an open and public forum where those that read are more than likely someone's client. We don't have a job at all if parents don't need our services. We wouldn't be in the position we are in if we didn't have parents needing care/services.

Its been said a million times but is always worth repeating...there is a right and a wrong fit for everyone and if we can't provide what the parent is asking for, then we just need to say "Pass" and move on.

I just think it comes across as unprofessional and kind of rude to dis parents for stating openly what they want...even if we feel it's laughable...it isn't viewed that way by a parent. We're always talking about parents not being open and honest in regards to what they want/don't want, can and can't afford.

Rarely are parents privy to or even able to understand how much hard work and effort goes into this job on a day to day basis. If they had even the slightest inkling, we (providers) wouldn't need to vent...

But I'm also sure more than a few of us have been burnt by parents who consider paying their provider, low priority in their lives when it should be the opposite. They try to get away with as much as they can for as little as they can. So every time we see something like this, we're only assuming it's the same scenario. We don't know the logistics or details so we really shouldn't be assuming.
Totally understand but still doesn't make it come across to parents who are apprehensive or unsure about making a child care decision to want to choose family child care.

Quality providers? Yes, it goes without saying there are definite ideas on what a quality program offers. Hasn't it been long (mis)understood that providers are mere babysitters who don't engage their kids, sit on their butts all day eating bon-bons, and watching soaps?
Even more of a reason to keep the "venting" type and negative threads/posts/comments in the off topic area at least.

I think if we all made a conscious effort to vent in places other than the open/public forum we would be helping change that frame of mind verses supporting it.

I have ZERO issues discussing the vast gap between what we (providers) view as quality and what parents view as quality but to do it in a way that is condescending or rude towards a parent is harmful to this profession all together so we (providers) should bear some responsibility in the overall reputation providers have gotten over the years. Posts like these don't do much to negates those types of thoughts and ideas ya know

I believe it's only been in the past 10-15 years that people are seeing us in a different eye; that we're educated, love kids, are constantly learning. We don't do this just because we can't do anything else(Lord knows it is NOT an easy job!!).

As human beings we do tend to judge and assume more than we should. I have to admit I used to assume school teachers had it way too easy, getting all that time off during the year and summer too!?!?! Wow, dream job, right?? Now?? They couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher within the school systems.

Sometimes all we need is some enlightenment.
It just breaks my heart to read so many providers on this board struggle to get kids in the door so they can stay in business. I see them lowing their rates just to entice new families. I don't find it that far from possible to think that one of those same providers would jump at the chance to take the mom in the OP's post at the rate the DCM is asking to pay.... just so they can fill a space. That's probably the biggest reason I think if providers are going to vent about the parents asking for cheap or inexpensive care, they really need to consider their fellow provider who may be struggling to make ends meet and wouldn't laugh at this mom one bit.

I live in an area where daycare is in high demand, but I also recognize and remember that for everyone in the same situation as I am in, there are probably 4 or 5 providers on the opposite side of things, just wishing they had the opportunity to have as many interested callers.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 08-10-2015
Like I said, I am not trying to give you a hard time I'm really not
....but like Josie said in her post...

It's long been a stereotype that providers do nothing but sit home and eat bon-bons while watching soaps so I was just thinking from a parents perspective when reading your post and the first thought that went through my mind was "If I were a parent and read some of the statements made on this board, I would choose a center or find a nanny or family friend before choosing family child care". NOT solely because of your post but because of the hundreds of others that are similar that just come across as if home providers don't respect parents any more than parents are respectful of providers. We (as a whole profession) aren't doing much to change the stereotype already placed upon us.

So again, I am not trying to pick on you .....I just happen to read your post at a time where I was feeling sad for my fellow providers that are struggling to make ends meet and get kids in the door.

Reply Up