Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy For Holding Teachers Spot For The Summer
Unregistered 12:39 PM 05-31-2013
I interviewed a teacher last night and she asked how I would handle her taking the summer off. I told her I have no policy for that as I've not yet worked with a teacher. I rattled off a policy of the top of my head that she agreed was fair. Now I just want to make sure I haven't sold myself short.

Policy I rattled off was for the summer she can pay half her tuition ($50) on the weeks she wouldn't use her spots at all. On a week where she wanted to use either of her 2 days she would be responsible for the full tuition ($100) that week regardless of whether she used 1 or both days that particular week. I made no mention of vacation weeks but I will tell her that there is no discount for those weeks and that if she doesn't use her spot, she still pays.

Does this seem fair to both the parent and me?
TheGoodLife 12:43 PM 05-31-2013
Is this for a PT family? It sounds like they would only be there 2 days a week, or did I read it wrong?
Unregistered 02:53 PM 05-31-2013
Yes it would be part time for 2 days per week.
MissAnn 02:58 PM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I interviewed a teacher last night and she asked how I would handle her taking the summer off. I told her I have no policy for that as I've not yet worked with a teacher. I rattled off a policy of the top of my head that she agreed was fair. Now I just want to make sure I haven't sold myself short.

Policy I rattled off was for the summer she can pay half her tuition ($50) on the weeks she wouldn't use her spots at all. On a week where she wanted to use either of her 2 days she would be responsible for the full tuition ($100) that week regardless of whether she used 1 or both days that particular week. I made no mention of vacation weeks but I will tell her that there is no discount for those weeks and that if she doesn't use her spot, she still pays.

I do 2 days at part time rate which comes to $50 per week for a maximum of 2.5 months per year. I added that in because I have a teacher who is also pregnant.
e.j. 03:25 PM 05-31-2013
I think if you're satisfied with the arrangement and the parent agrees, the policy is fair to both of you. You get to decide what works best for your business and the dc family gets to decide what they can afford, kwim?

I charge my regular rate for teachers during the summer. If they expect me to hold their spot and guarantee it for the fall, I feel it's fair for them to pay for it. The only time I don't charge is if I need to fill the spot for the summer (as when my kids were school age and counted in my numbers).
mamac 04:07 PM 05-31-2013
I allow my full-time teachers to drop down to a part-time slot for the summer if they want their full-time slot saved for the fall. If they want the entire summer off then they risk losing their spot when September rolls around. I will not guarantee an opening for them.
TheGoodLife 09:01 PM 05-31-2013

If it works for you, I think it sounds very fair- 1/2 tuition if they're not using the days, or full tuition if they are- easy peasy
Unregistered 05:49 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by mamac:
I allow my full-time teachers to drop down to a part-time slot for the summer if they want their full-time slot saved for the fall. If they want the entire summer off then they risk losing their spot when September rolls around. I will not guarantee an opening for them.
I do the same with a min of 3 days but what would u do if parent is not returning in fall FT? Still keep the same pt policy? My teacher is planning to come back 2 days - sold I do 2 days required over summer vs 3? I have explained it holds your placement but I have other openings so it's not like their spot will be gone.... Tau
grandmom 03:33 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I think if you're satisfied with the arrangement and the parent agrees, the policy is fair to both of you. You get to decide what works best for your business and the dc family gets to decide what they can afford, kwim?

I charge my regular rate for teachers during the summer. If they expect me to hold their spot and guarantee it for the fall, I feel it's fair for them to pay for it. The only time I don't charge is if I need to fill the spot for the summer (as when my kids were school age and counted in my numbers).
This.
Tags:holding spot
Reply Up