Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illness Heads Up
Ariana 08:46 AM 05-06-2016
Do you give your clients a heads up that your own kid is sick? I always do and most keep their children at home if they are already at home (which all of my clients are) but this one family will send no matter what! I don't even know if it is worth the heads up to be honest because I know they will still send their kid. My daughter was up last night barfing and is home from school today and this kid is still coming today to be honest I don't really care I just don't understand parents like this. They brought her in a blizzard snowstorm too eventhough the mom was at home and no one else came and school was cancelled

What do your parents typically do?
childcaremom 08:52 AM 05-06-2016
I don't tell my parents. My own kids are older though and not 'part' of daycare. They stay segregated and I stay open.

If I didn't want the kids there I would just close.
Play Care 09:04 AM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I don't tell my parents. My own kids are older though and not 'part' of daycare. They stay segregated and I stay open.

My policy as well.
Ariana 09:25 AM 05-06-2016

Yes of course. I typically close if I don't want the kids here as well and if my daughter was extremely ill I would have done that. I guess I am wondering if there is any value in giving a heads up. I always like a heads up when going anywhere where there is illness and will most likely stay home (a big reason why my kids are rarely sick). I just wonder if anyone else sees the value in it or is it pointless.
Leigh 09:28 AM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do you give your clients a heads up that your own kid is sick? I always do and most keep their children at home if they are already at home (which all of my clients are) but this one family will send no matter what! I don't even know if it is worth the heads up to be honest because I know they will still send their kid. My daughter was up last night barfing and is home from school today and this kid is still coming today to be honest I don't really care I just don't understand parents like this. They brought her in a blizzard snowstorm too eventhough the mom was at home and no one else came and school was cancelled

What do your parents typically do?
I have a mom who wanted to bring her kids (including her infant) when I had influenza (she figures if I get her kids sick, they'll I will HAVE to watch them when they get sick, too-we've had plenty of the "keep your sick kid at home" convos). She also wants to come when my own son is so sick that I can barely keep up with caring for him. I close for illness once a year, maybe. I have two families that even THINK there's something going around here and will keep their kids home.
childcaremom 09:45 AM 05-06-2016
Yes of course. I typically close if I don't want the kids here as well and if my daughter was extremely ill I would have done that. I guess I am wondering if there is any value in giving a heads up. I always like a heads up when going anywhere where there is illness and will most likely stay home (a big reason why my kids are rarely sick). I just wonder if anyone else sees the value in it or is it pointless.
Well I guess if some parents keep their kids home then they see the value in it. As for the other, well, there will always be parents like that.

I would continue doing what you do and let the other slide off your back.
MunchkinWrangler 10:48 AM 05-06-2016
I would say yes. The fact that your other families choose to not bring their kids as to not expose them are now expecting the heads up.
MunchkinWrangler 10:51 AM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have a mom who wanted to bring her kids (including her infant) when I had influenza (she figures if I get her kids sick, they'll I will HAVE to watch them when they get sick, too-we've had plenty of the "keep your sick kid at home" convos). She also wants to come when my own son is so sick that I can barely keep up with caring for him. I close for illness once a year, maybe. I have two families that even THINK there's something going around here and will keep their kids home.
I close when my kid is sick. I don't think it's fair to them to have to put up with the daycare and I can actually give my child the attention they deserve. The other issue I have is what if I need to go to the hospital or doctor or even the store for something. The last illness my son had, I actually had one of dcm's offer to go to the store or run any errands I needed, which was so sweet of her.
CityGarden 10:56 AM 05-06-2016

I am not yet open but this was what I planned on as my policy.
JackandJill 11:03 AM 05-06-2016
If I can keep my kids seperate and still give them adequate care then I give parents a heads up. If not, I just close.

I have one parent who is a SAHM, and her son is the first one dropped off and the last one picked up, she never keeps him home unless I am closed. I don't get it either!
NillaWafers 01:14 PM 05-06-2016
I do tell them, but I don't close anymore cus half the time my kids puke for no reason (no fever, totally happy and good to go by 12). I just keep them separate (in my room with TV shows).
Ariana 01:37 PM 05-06-2016
Yeah it definitely sucks! I guess giving a heads up helps everyone in the end but some parents are just annoying in this regard.

I think what annoys me even more is that the mom just texted back "thanks for the heads up, we will still be sending X". Absolutely no sympathy or "hope your daughter is doing well" nothing. The dad came to the door and my daughter was standing right there and he didn't even say hello or acknowledge her existance. I am really starting to hate this family. What is wrong with peoples common decency these days?!
KarenSue 05:23 PM 05-06-2016
That was rude of them to not acknowledge your daughter. I had to close last minute today because I was sick with a stomach bug. This was my first illness in a year and a half. One of my moms was short with me and a bit annoyed because I closed. But she was sick with the same thing last week and wore her pajamas to drop her daughter off. Pretty sure I caught it from her.
Leigh 05:58 PM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I close when my kid is sick. I don't think it's fair to them to have to put up with the daycare and I can actually give my child the attention they deserve. The other issue I have is what if I need to go to the hospital or doctor or even the store for something. The last illness my son had, I actually had one of dcm's offer to go to the store or run any errands I needed, which was so sweet of her.
I close when my son is sick and needs me, too. If it's something minor, I give parents the option of coming or staying home. If he needs attention from his mom, the daycare is closed. I've closed for influenza and croup in the past, and one bout of strep throat. I won't open for them when he NEEDS me (physically or emotionally), though that ONE mom tries to convince me to take "just her kids".
MunchkinWrangler 06:30 PM 05-06-2016
Yeah it definitely sucks! I guess giving a heads up helps everyone in the end but some parents are just annoying in this regard.

I think what annoys me even more is that the mom just texted back "thanks for the heads up, we will still be sending X". Absolutely no sympathy or "hope your daughter is doing well" nothing. The dad came to the door and my daughter was standing right there and he didn't even say hello or acknowledge her existance. I am really starting to hate this family. What is wrong with peoples common decency these days?!
That's where I would just close, check in with your other parents first and if no one is coming just close. That's so rude. They should at least acknowledge it!!
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 05-07-2016
I would continue to give a head's up to all families (simply because I believe it's the right thing to do) but I'd let go of the expectations. Not all families do what we would, what the majority does or what's logical

I think this family is what's really the issue... whether or not you give a "head's up" to clients is just part of it.

I think we all have a family that reacts differently, parents 'oddly' or does exactly what others don't. I think the key to dealing with those families is communication. HOW you say things is as important as what you are saying but not all families interepret the same way...

For example I had a DCK get a temp and needed to get picked up.

9 out 10 parents would have gotten this text: "Your child has a temp of 101.5F. See you shortly"

But I have one of "those" families too so they would have gotten this text: "Your child has a temp of 101.5F. You will need to pick them up within the next 30 minutes. I will send paperwork home as to what requirements need to be met before your child can return. See you shortly"

Some families need things said in a different way. same message but tailored to each family as every daycare seems to have that "one" family
Ariana 12:21 PM 05-07-2016
Yes the family is definitely the issue! I think it's because I have worked with them since September to get them to adhere to my policies and it has just been one thing after another. I have put up with it and continue to do so because they are done in June. I think everything they do now irks me
Tags:illness policy, notice of sickness
Reply Up