Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Police Report Filed for a Bite
Unregistered 02:26 PM 10-20-2016
I am unlicensed in Ohio. I have four kids and added a new one last week. An 18 mo old in my care bit the new child on the arm. He has been with me 6 months This is his first bite under my care. I immediately called. Called parents for pick up. Biters mom came right away Mother of child bit showed up four hours later. (I had left voicemail for her). That evening a police officer called me because mom filed a police report because of the bite. Is this standard procedure? I have been doing this 20+ yrs and this is a new one for me
Reply
Rockgirl 02:32 PM 10-20-2016
Wow! Just curious...how bad was the bite?
Reply
daycare 02:33 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am unlicensed in Ohio. I have four kids and added a new one last week. An 18 mo old in my care bit the new child on the arm. He has been with me 6 months This is his first bite under my care. I immediately called. Called parents for pick up. Biters mom came right away Mother of child bit showed up four hours later. (I had left voicemail for her). That evening a police officer called me because mom filed a police report because of the bite. Is this standard procedure? I have been doing this 20+ yrs and this is a new one for me
wow, I have never heard of that before....But in my state you can't do group care without a LIC, so I guess that was her way of turning you in.

what did the police say?
Reply
Play Care 02:43 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am unlicensed in Ohio. I have four kids and added a new one last week. An 18 mo old in my care bit the new child on the arm. He has been with me 6 months This is his first bite under my care. I immediately called. Called parents for pick up. Biters mom came right away Mother of child bit showed up four hours later. (I had left voicemail for her). That evening a police officer called me because mom filed a police report because of the bite. Is this standard procedure? I have been doing this 20+ yrs and this is a new one for me
I've never heard of the police being involved in this type of incident with child care. But, why did you send the child who got bitten home? Usually a bite means an ice pack, TLC, and a boo-boo report. Did the bite require medical attention? Maybe that's why the police were involved?
Reply
Cat Herder 02:46 PM 10-20-2016
How old was the child bitten? Did it break the skin?
Reply
Unregistered 02:47 PM 10-20-2016
The bite was superficial-and also the police officer also used the term superficial. I didn't require the biters mom to come pick up but, because of the fact that he was new to my care, I wanted her to make the decision to pick up or not. I also took a picture and sent to her but she didn't respond in any way until pick up
Reply
LysesKids 02:49 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am unlicensed in Ohio. I have four kids and added a new one last week. An 18 mo old in my care bit the new child on the arm. He has been with me 6 months This is his first bite under my care. I immediately called. Called parents for pick up. Biters mom came right away Mother of child bit showed up four hours later. (I had left voicemail for her). That evening a police officer called me because mom filed a police report because of the bite. Is this standard procedure? I have been doing this 20+ yrs and this is a new one for me
No offense but if this was first time & mom did that, I would term Ms Newbie; no telling what might happen next if her child gets hurt again. What mom did is file an assault report as far as I'm concerned and that means she doesn't trust me that it won't happen again
Reply
Unregistered 02:52 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I've never heard of the police being involved in this type of incident with child care. But, why did you send the child who got bitten home? Usually a bite means an ice pack, TLC, and a boo-boo report. Did the bite require medical attention? Maybe that's why the police were involved?
The bite did not break the skin
Reply
Unregistered 02:53 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
How old was the child bitten? Did it break the skin?
He is 11 months and it didn't break skin
Reply
Leigh 02:56 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
No offense but if this was first time & mom did that, I would term Ms Newbie; no telling what might happen next if her child gets hurt again. What mom did is file an assault report as far as I'm concerned and that means she doesn't trust me that it won't happen again
I would term, as well. Completely over the top and, IMO, an aggressive move toward you. A bite isn't a "no big deal" situation, I know-my own kid has been bitten, and it's hard for a parent to deal with, but she is obviously bat-crap crazy.
Reply
Cat Herder 02:57 PM 10-20-2016
I may be mistaken, but are you allowed to have that 5th child without a license? I was under the impression the law says 4.
Reply
Unregistered 03:01 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I may be mistaken, but are you allowed to have that 5th child without a license? I was under the impression the law says 4.
Yes. You are wrong. It is 6 or fewer
Reply
Unregistered 03:07 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes. You are wrong. It is 6 or fewer

One to six children cared for in the providerís personal residence. No more than three children may be under two years of age. The providerís own children under six years of age must be included in the total count. Anyone can operate a Type B Home without a license. However, care for more than 6 children requires a license. Type B homes must be certified by the county department of Job and Family Services if the child care is paid for with public funds.
Reply
midaycare 03:25 PM 10-20-2016
Yikes, I'd term (assuming of course, the bite wasn't bad). Dcf might file a report against you if dck gets a bad diaper rash!
Reply
lovemydaycare0912 03:32 PM 10-20-2016
Oh my! So sorry you have a crazy dcm! I agree with pp's and would term as well. Scares me as to what else she'll call the cops/licensing on you for!
Reply
Blackcat31 03:41 PM 10-20-2016
How long have you been providing care?

How many kids in care? Mixed ages or under SA?

Just trying to get a grasp on the details.
Might explain mom's perspective a bit better,

If you are a Type B home, do you have to be certified or registered even if you are unlicensed?

Wondering why mom nor the police didn't direct this to DHS?
Reply
thrivingchildcarecom 03:45 PM 10-20-2016
I TOTALLY AGREE! Red flags!!! We take so much liability caring for other people's children. I don't think parents take that into consideration. At least until their child is the one biting.

I have a bitter now! I'm really trying to work with the family because they are previous clients of mine, but he has turned everyone else into bitters and it's getting crazy around here. Anyway, the parents aren't doing enough to get him to stop and I should probably term them.

Back to you; let this family go. It's not worth the headache or the citations on your license or business reputation.
Reply
Unregistered 03:53 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How long have you been providing care?

How many kids in care? Mixed ages or under SA?

Just trying to get a grasp on the details.
Might explain mom's perspective a bit better,

If you are a Type B home, do you have to be certified or registered even if you are unlicensed?

Wondering why mom nor the police didn't direct this to DHS?
The only children in the room were the biter, child biten and a three year old. The other two were asleep. I only care for kids under SA
Reply
Unregistered 03:55 PM 10-20-2016
I absolutely termed because of the 4 hour response time and the passive aggressive move of filing a police report for such a thing!
Reply
childcaremom 04:59 PM 10-20-2016
I can't even imagine what the heck that dcm was thinking.

Glad you termed and hope everything works out.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 06:32 PM 10-20-2016


That would freak me out but good!

What did the police do? Did they come to your house or just call you? Did they write up a report or blow it off?

C.R.A.Z.Y. people in this world!
Reply
Unregistered 06:56 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:


That would freak me out but good!

What did the police do? Did they come to your house or just call you? Did they write up a report or blow it off?

C.R.A.Z.Y. people in this world!
They called me. The officer was very nice and told me he had four kids of his own,so he knows how kids are. Also told me of a few inconsistencies mom had with her statement. She said I never told her about the bite until pickup and that I brushed it off as no big deal. (Even though I texted AND left mom a VM).
Reply
kendallina 07:53 PM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They called me. The officer was very nice and told me he had four kids of his own,so he knows how kids are. Also told me of a few inconsistencies mom had with her statement. She said I never told her about the bite until pickup and that I brushed it off as no big deal. (Even though I texted AND left mom a VM).
Yikes...I was going to say to talk to the mom about being confused about her calling the police. And maybe that she just doesn't understand that this is normal baby behavior. However, after reading this, she's nutso. Term.

I'm also unlicensed in Ohio- hi neighbor!
Reply
MarinaVanessa 01:51 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I absolutely termed because of the 4 hour response time and the passive aggressive move of filing a police report for such a thing!
So you termed mom for taking 4 hours to communicated and respond to your call/text etc? Then she called and reported you? Or did you terminate after she made the report? I'm just trying to wrap my head around why she would call the police over a bite. I mean, I get it. Biting is one of the most frustrating things that happen in daycare but it's not like it's chronic or carelessness on your point. Jeez.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 10-21-2016
There is something missing here.

I don't buy this story.

There is something "off" about it.

I did a bit of research into Ohio laws, filing and managing a police report and into DHS/Ohio child care regulations and I'm just going to say I think there is a bit more to this story/situation/thread.
Reply
daycare 07:20 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is something missing here.

I don't buy this story.

There is something "off" about it.

I did a bit of research into Ohio laws, filing and managing a police report and into DHS/Ohio child care regulations and I'm just going to say I think there is a bit more to this story/situation/thread.
You should still be a lawyer. After reading your post I can see why you think that.
There are two sides to every story. We mostly only get to hear one side
Reply
Unregistered 08:21 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is something missing here.

I don't buy this story.

There is something "off" about it.

I did a bit of research into Ohio laws, filing and managing a police report and into DHS/Ohio child care regulations and I'm just going to say I think there is a bit more to this story/situation/thread.
I would be very interested to see your "research" as I am at a loss why this is an incident that required so much escalation. I have been a provider over 22 years with not so much as a child needing more than a band aid. To insinuate that I am lying or leaving out details is wrong anc accusatory with no evidence of such. It really will make others very hesitant to post or ask questions which will eventually diminish the popularity of this board. I have seen countless times posters come here with questions and certain responders jump all over them and accuse the poster of being dishonest or deceitful. I know it sure will make me think twice before posting again! Maybe we can just rename the group "the blackcat show"
Reply
HL0605 08:33 AM 10-21-2016
DHS would not be involved if you are an unlicensed provider in Ohio. It is legal to be unlicensed in Ohio, you must simply follow the rules regarding ratios that licensed providers follow as well. There used to be a way to be registered or certified and still accept public funds, but that has changed.
Reply
midaycare 08:36 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would be very interested to see your "research" as I am at a loss why this is an incident that required so much escalation. I have been a provider over 22 years with not so much as a child needing more than a band aid. To insinuate that I am lying or leaving out details is wrong anc accusatory with no evidence of such. It really will make others very hesitant to post or ask questions which will eventually diminish the popularity of this board. I have seen countless times posters come here with questions and certain responders jump all over them and accuse the poster of being dishonest or deceitful. I know it sure will make me think twice before posting again! Maybe we can just rename the group "the blackcat show"
I understand what bc is saying. It just seems crazy that a dcf would do this.

I have had a dcf capable of crazy behavior, and I termed them in the trial period.

I have a dcf who gets really upset about mosquito bites. However I live in the woods. I spray and put stuff on dcks, but mosquito bites just still happen here. If dcb was ever bitten, they would definitely lose their cool, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't call the police.

I'm unsure what your dcf hoped to accomplish. Were they filing it against you or the other dck?

I have had a biter, so I empathize. A lot of people say it's totally preventable, but this dcb has undiagnosed Aspergers and doesn't handle conflict well. Bites are awful to deal with.

When my ds was bit at daycare, I didn't throw a fit. I was annoyed though, wondering if ds was safe from this child. It only happened once though.
Reply
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would be very interested to see your "research" as I am at a loss why this is an incident that required so much escalation. I have been a provider over 22 years with not so much as a child needing more than a band aid. To insinuate that I am lying or leaving out details is wrong anc accusatory with no evidence of such. It really will make others very hesitant to post or ask questions which will eventually diminish the popularity of this board. I have seen countless times posters come here with questions and certain responders jump all over them and accuse the poster of being dishonest or deceitful. I know it sure will make me think twice before posting again! Maybe we can just rename the group "the blackcat show"
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

But it's funny how any time someone has a different opinion or one that is vastly different than theirs, they suddenly have all sorts of complaints about the forum (usually me in particular) and then they will start pointing out how others will be hesitant to post or that board popularity will suddenly wane.

To imply that others have been "jumped on" or accused of being deceitful has no bearing on this thread or you so I am not seeing the correlation there.

If you would like to refer to this forum as the "blackcat show" feel free.... It's not the first time someone has been unhappy with my opinion or thoughts and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I don't make a habit of simply telling a poster what they want to hear or spreading rainbows and unicorns in places they don't belong. I am also not in the habit of buying into many of the dramatic or emotionally charged topics and threads that are posted here. Oddly, I feel they all have the same characteristics and almost always challenge my logistical thinking.

I have an opinion and one that isn't always shared by others but that's okay with me. It's who I am and I've never in all my time on this forum not spoken my mind or shared my viewpoint; even if I am the only one that feels a certain way.

My intent is never to hurt or offend others but when that does happen, the posters almost always responds in a similar manner and while I stand behind what I think, I can't help or change how you perceive my thoughts or suspicions.

You, like everyone on this forum, has the option of scrolling by my replies if you don't agree with them. I am not looking for validation or reassurance for my feelings or opinions so you won't be hurting my feelings in any way if you just gloss on by.

You do not have to give my thoughts or opinions any weight.

Just as my opinion should really have no direct impact on you, your program, your situation or your life in general, yours has the same weight and value for me.

It's okay that you don't agree with me and it's okay if you don't like what I think/say.

It's the beauty of life itself...we all see things from a different perspective.

Don't let my opinion ruin your day!
Reply
Josiegirl 11:01 AM 10-21-2016
Well said BC.
I can be very gullible and most of the time am the last person to figure things out. I guess I'm too trusting and take people at their word.

But unreg., you were awfully quick to jump all over BC, for questioning your post and stating her own opinion.

When I have a sense of drama drama drama, I just say to myself 'whatever' but truthfully I just don't know and like to give people the benefit of the doubt. That plus I have terrible self confidence issues.

But BC is a confident knowledgeable child care provider who calls 'em like she sees 'em.

Anyways..... Group Hug
Reply
lovemykidstoo 11:23 AM 10-21-2016
Sometimes there is no logical reason why a parent will do what they do. Some people are just nuts and sue happy. Maybe she made a police report in case she decides to sue. Shoot McDonalds got sued because their coffee was too hot. I don't think it's under the realm of possibility that this happened exactly as OP stated. Can you imagine of DD is scared from the bite? Bet she'll call a lawyer.
Reply
daycare 11:39 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Sometimes there is no logical reason why a parent will do what they do. Some people are just nuts and sue happy. Maybe she made a police report in case she decides to sue. Shoot McDonalds got sued because their coffee was too hot. I don't think it's under the realm of possibility that this happened exactly as OP stated. Can you imagine of DD is scared from the bite? Bet she'll call a lawyer.
people are crazy... crazy things do happen that are some times believable.

Just yesterday, I got a visit from the police during daycare hours right around pick up time. want to know what for.....

READY!

One of my neighbors called the cops of me. Worried that I am defrauding the DMV/Government because..................


I have a very expensive vehicle with "paper dealer plates" still on.....
Even the cops could not keep a straight face when they told me they were laughing. They just said they needed to fulfill all police reports.

I bought the car six months ago and ordered specialized plates, that I still have not gotten from the DMV... so in the neighbors eyes, I should have already put plates on my car....

YEAH crazy with a capitol C....but on the flip side, technically, I was in the wrong. You should have plates on your car within 30-60 days receive plates and put them on. BUT it actually was not my fault, the DMV is behind, but of course my neighbor does not know this. I don't really talk to ANY of my neighbors.

what I am saying, is I agree with BC that there is more to the story than we know.

In my situation, I was way over the due date and my crazy neighbor reported it..

So I agree that perhaps the provider left out some information that may have pushed this mom to report.
Reply
daycarediva 11:49 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Sometimes there is no logical reason why a parent will do what they do. Some people are just nuts and sue happy. Maybe she made a police report in case she decides to sue. Shoot McDonalds got sued because their coffee was too hot. I don't think it's under the realm of possibility that this happened exactly as OP stated. Can you imagine of DD is scared from the bite? Bet she'll call a lawyer.
WAYYY off topic but we actually researched this with dd for a class she took last year. The hot coffee lawsuit was justified. That particular restaurant had received numerous citations for the coffee being WAY over the allowed temperature. It was on record that they were aware the coffee exceeded a safe temperature.

The elderly woman who spilled the coffee said it was so hot she couldn't hold it and dropped it into her lap, she got third degree burns and required skin grafts.
Reply
Silly Songs 11:51 AM 10-21-2016
Seriously ? Your neighbor had nothing else to worry about except your license plates ? People are too much !!
Reply
Play Care 11:53 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
WAYYY off topic but we actually researched this with dd for a class she took last year. The hot coffee lawsuit was justified. That particular restaurant had received numerous citations for the coffee being WAY over the allowed temperature. It was on record that they were aware the coffee exceeded a safe temperature.

The elderly woman who spilled the coffee said it was so hot she couldn't hold it and dropped it into her lap, she got third degree burns and required skin grafts.
I actually saw photos of that poor woman's injuries.
They were horrific.
Yes, spilling coffee you just bought will cause discomfort. I've gotten a red mark from it.
But this was beyond that. There is no reason for the beverage to be that hot.
Reply
midaycare 11:56 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Sometimes there is no logical reason why a parent will do what they do. Some people are just nuts and sue happy. Maybe she made a police report in case she decides to sue. Shoot McDonalds got sued because their coffee was too hot. I don't think it's under the realm of possibility that this happened exactly as OP stated. Can you imagine of DD is scared from the bite? Bet she'll call a lawyer.
If you've never looked up the actual case of hot coffee & McDonald's, it's interesting. I think I would have sued.
Reply
lovemykidstoo 11:56 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I actually saw photos of that poor woman's injuries.
They were horrific.
Yes, spilling coffee you just bought will cause discomfort. I've gotten a red mark from it.
But this was beyond that. There is no reason for the beverage to be that hot.
Ok ok I shouldn't have brought up that particular case because I do remember that it was legit, but my actual intent (poorly executed lol) was that people are sue happy. That may be all that is happening with this lady. I mean what did she want to have the officer do, slap handcuffs on the biter?
Reply
midaycare 11:58 AM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
WAYYY off topic but we actually researched this with dd for a class she took last year. The hot coffee lawsuit was justified. That particular restaurant had received numerous citations for the coffee being WAY over the allowed temperature. It was on record that they were aware the coffee exceeded a safe temperature.

The elderly woman who spilled the coffee said it was so hot she couldn't hold it and dropped it into her lap, she got third degree burns and required skin grafts.
Lol, I should have read your response first.
Reply
daycare 12:06 PM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Seriously ? Your neighbor had nothing else to worry about except your license plates ? People are too much !!
I know who it was. I really don't care. He's a retired man who really does not have anything better to do. He walks past my house every day "carrying" his very old dog..(its so sad)

I could take all year postig about the crazy stuff this neighbor has done. Including hitting my oldest son with a wrench for installing his car stero parked in front of our house......Ugh..yeah..

sorry to side track..
Reply
MyAngels 01:11 PM 10-21-2016
Well, I figure the mom got onto one of the many, many parenting boards out there and posted that her little munchkin was bitten, what to do, what to do? Then some other mom responded with, "Wait, you're little one was ASSAULTED?!!!! You MUST file a police report RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!" Then, as often happens in these cases, many others jumped on the bandwagon and lo and behold, a police report is filed

Okay, so maybe not, but it could have happened that way, right?
Reply
LostMyMarbles 01:11 PM 10-21-2016
I am puzzled that the police officer called instead of going to your house. Must be an area thing. In my area, you would have gotten a visit.

We are not in any way aloud to be legally unlicensed here. If there is an exchange of pay, you have to be licensed period. Therefore, I do not understand the whole leaf ally unlicensed thing.

As a parent, if it was me, I would have called the police IF my provider had a callous attitude about the bit, ex. unsympathetic, unclear or changing story about the incident, bad account of the biting (not in the room, unattended, it has happened lots of times).

My question, has the mom brought the baby back to day care since the incident?
Reply
Snowmom 01:18 PM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Well, I figure the mom got onto one of the many, many parenting boards out there and posted that her little munchkin was bitten, what to do, what to do? Then some other mom responded with, "Wait, you're little one was ASSAULTED?!!!! You MUST file a police report RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!" Then, as often happens in these cases, many others jumped on the bandwagon and lo and behold, a police report is filed

Okay, so maybe not, but it could have happened that way, right?
I have actually witnessed that EXACT thing happen.
Reply
Baby Beluga 01:44 PM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Well, I figure the mom got onto one of the many, many parenting boards out there and posted that her little munchkin was bitten, what to do, what to do? Then some other mom responded with, "Wait, you're little one was ASSAULTED?!!!! You MUST file a police report RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!" Then, as often happens in these cases, many others jumped on the bandwagon and lo and behold, a police report is filed

Okay, so maybe not, but it could have happened that way, right?
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I have actually witnessed that EXACT thing happen.
Yup. I had the very same thought.

I also wondered if mom maybe didn't trust the provider and had a friend call and pretend to be an officer to see if the story the provider told mom matched up with the story she told the officer. I do think it is weird they called vs showing up in person. I don't think an officer has ever called, in the history of ever? At least that I have heard of. And although it is a different state and different position, I have family who is a corrections officer and works closely with LE. I have never heard of a call being made vs a home visit.
Reply
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Well, I figure the mom got onto one of the many, many parenting boards out there and posted that her little munchkin was bitten, what to do, what to do? Then some other mom responded with, "Wait, you're little one was ASSAULTED?!!!! You MUST file a police report RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!" Then, as often happens in these cases, many others jumped on the bandwagon and lo and behold, a police report is filed

Okay, so maybe not, but it could have happened that way, right?
More than likely.

I am not doubting the crazy-level of any parent. I am doubting the process in which this report occurred and the manner in which it was handled.

ANY time a report of abuse, neglect or a potentially dangerous situation happens involving a minor child, child protective services are immediately notified.
THEY are the ones that get to decide if this was a legitimate case of abuse, neglect or just an angry parent making up tall tales.

CPS takes ALL reports seriously and law enforcement agencies are required to turn over reports to CPS.
Law enforcement agencies do NOT decide if a report is worth referring or not referring.
Law enforcement agencies uphold the law, they don't make it nor do they decide who is or isn't guilt.... the court/judge does that.

The mother made a report.
The police took the report.
The police should have notified CPS
The provider (licensed or not) would NOT have been notified because IF this were a case of abuse or neglect, CPS would have to investigate before making any decisions.

IF by chance, what the police officer did in this story is true and he did not notify CPS but instead called the provider on the phone (and made light of the parents concern) then he should be reported to his superiors and be subject to a consequence for not following protocol for the protection of a child.

We aren't talking about a neighborhood dog on the loose or an excessively loud neighbor or even a neighbor with temporary plates on their vehicle.
We are talking about an INJURY to a child! One in which the parent (for whatever reason) felt was bad enough that it warranted seeking police involvement.

I simply do not buy that the police just laughed this matter off as no big deal or as if this parent was just cray-cray!

If so, what an HUGE injustice to that child and what failure of our system.
Reply
LostMyMarbles 02:09 PM 10-21-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
I am puzzled that the police officer called instead of going to your house. Must be an area thing. In my area, you would have gotten a visit.

We are not in any way aloud to be legally unlicensed here. If there is an exchange of pay, you have to be licensed period. Therefore, I do not understand the whole leaf ally unlicensed thing.

As a parent, if it was me, I would have called the police IF my provider had a callous attitude about the bit, ex. unsympathetic, unclear or changing story about the incident, bad account of the biting (not in the room, unattended, it has happened lots of times).

My question, has the mom brought the baby back to day care since the incident?
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
More than likely.

I am not doubting the crazy-level of any parent. I am doubting the process in which this report occurred and the manner in which it was handled.

ANY time a report of abuse, neglect or a potentially dangerous situation happens involving a minor child, child protective services are immediately notified.
THEY are the ones that get to decide if this was a legitimate case of abuse, neglect or just an angry parent making up tall tales.

CPS takes ALL reports seriously and law enforcement agencies are required to turn over reports to CPS.
Law enforcement agencies do NOT decide if a report is worth referring or not referring.
Law enforcement agencies uphold the law, they don't make it nor do they decide who is or isn't guilt.... the court/judge does that.

The mother made a report.
The police took the report.
The police should have notified CPS
The provider (licensed or not) would NOT have been notified because IF this were a case of abuse or neglect, CPS would have to investigate before making any decisions.

IF by chance, what the police officer did in this story is true and he did not notify CPS but instead called the provider on the phone (and made light of the parents concern) then he should be reported to his superiors and be subject to a consequence for not following protocol for the protection of a child.

We aren't talking about a neighborhood dog on the loose or an excessively loud neighbor or even a neighbor with temporary plates on their vehicle.
We are talking about an INJURY to a child! One in which the parent (for whatever reason) felt was bad enough that it warranted seeking police involvement.

I simply do not buy that the police just laughed this matter off as no big deal or as if this parent was just cray-cray!

If so, what an HUGE injustice to that child and what failure of our system.

Well said.
Reply
Country Kids 11:55 AM 10-24-2016
I called 911 a couple of weeks ago as my daughter came home late at night and was scared to get out of her car. There was some guy sitting by our mailbox, with a large cup and talking about something to himself. I had to go stand by the car so she could get out. She was literally shaking! My husband was gone so I called the police to come out and check why the guy was there.

I then received a call from a police officer about 10 min later about the whole thing. By this time the guy had started walking down the street and I couldn't see him. I'm sure the officer called from his car but why not come by my house and see the guy.
Reply
Unregistered 05:18 PM 10-24-2016
Just throwing this out there... I currently have a family member who is on the wrong end of an accusation involving a minor (the family member supposedly did an inappropriate touch during a family event). The police have handled the entire process, including interviewing him and other witnesses. There has been ZERO involvement from CPS, the investigation has been entirely conducted by the law enforcement.
Reply
Unregistered 04:31 PM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am unlicensed in Ohio. I have four kids and added a new one last week. An 18 mo old in my care bit the new child on the arm. He has been with me 6 months This is his first bite under my care. I immediately called. Called parents for pick up. Biters mom came right away Mother of child bit showed up four hours later. (I had left voicemail for her). That evening a police officer called me because mom filed a police report because of the bite. Is this standard procedure? I have been doing this 20+ yrs and this is a new one for me
Just was wanted to follow-up and see how you were doing. I hope everything worked out.
Reply
Tags:ohio
Reply Up