Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Refundable Security Deposit
NiNi.R. 07:46 AM 06-13-2011
I've never required a security deposit before but thanks to this forum I've learned different ways to protect myself and want to get all my bases covered I recently have a spot open and a mom interested so I wanted to make sure I figure out how to do this before I interview her.

So my question is do you just request the deposit before handing over the enrollment forms or do you have it stated in your PHB?

I have a welcoming letter that I usually give out at the end of interviews if the parents seem interested or if I think they are a good fit for our group. I considered attaching to it an "All About Me" questionnaire for them to fill out about their child and requesting that they return that to me with a non-refundable security deposit before they can receive the rest of the enrollment forms.

IDK what do you think?
dEHmom 08:15 AM 06-13-2011
no if they are interested in the spot, the deposit is placed when they give you the forms. but make sure they understand that the deposit secures their spot. if they take 2 weeks to decide, you could fill the spot in the meantime if someone else gives a deposit.
daycare 10:43 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
no if they are interested in the spot, the deposit is placed when they give you the forms. but make sure they understand that the deposit secures their spot. if they take 2 weeks to decide, you could fill the spot in the meantime if someone else gives a deposit.
ditto this. I take the deposit at the time that they turn in all of the paper work. I also let them know that until I have their deposit that the spot remains open.
NiNi.R. 10:55 AM 06-13-2011
I really don't want to waste my time printing off all the enrollment forms and my 13 pg PHB and giving it to someone who decides they aren't going to use me. Then all that paper gets wasted. So I think this will be my process. Tell me if this sounds okay.

During interview I will go over the PHB as well as find out where the DCP work what hours of care they will need ect. If I'm interested in the client or if the client seems interested in me I will give them my welcoming letter. Welcoming letter states that in order to guarantee their spot they will need to fill out the child resume form and return it with a non-refundable security deposit. When that is done I will then give them their enrollment forms as well as a copy of the PHB. All enrollment forms will need to be completed and in my hand by the first day of care.

This might seem like an odd process but Ive gotten so sick over the years of handing out tons of paper for it to get unused.
dEHmom 11:07 AM 06-13-2011
what i have done is posted my handbook in pdf format on my website. ALL parents know this is there. They can print it off if they want to, or they can view the one I have here (in those plastic sleeves to protect them). IF they wish to review my handbook at home, they place a 10 dollar cash deposit, and it will be refunded once returned.

As for the forms, I only give them out to prospective parents should they request it (usually they won't request if they are not at least interested). These are also available online. If I don't feel like the family is interested or I am not interested, I just thank them for their time and advise they can call with any q's or concerns.

You could also on the welcome sheet you give out, advise that should they decide they'd like to enroll, they must contact you for the appropriate forms, and place the deposit with the completed forms. And throw in that no spot is held until a deposit is placed.
daycare 11:12 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I really don't want to waste my time printing off all the enrollment forms and my 13 pg PHB and giving it to someone who decides they aren't going to use me. Then all that paper gets wasted. So I think this will be my process. Tell me if this sounds okay.

During interview I will go over the PHB as well as find out where the DCP work what hours of care they will need ect. If I'm interested in the client or if the client seems interested in me I will give them my welcoming letter. Welcoming letter states that in order to guarantee their spot they will need to fill out the child resume form and return it with a non-refundable security deposit. When that is done I will then give them their enrollment forms as well as a copy of the PHB. All enrollment forms will need to be completed and in my hand by the first day of care.

This might seem like an odd process but Ive gotten so sick over the years of handing out tons of paper for it to get unused.
I think this sounds like a good idea. I don't mind the waste of my supplies, as it all gets written off and I see it as part of my job...

However, lately I email all the info to the parents and have them print it off. They read sign and return it with the deposit...
Tags:contract help, policy - revisions, security deposit
Reply Up