Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Natural Fencing
TwinMama 08:34 AM 04-21-2021
When it comes to fencing I live on 3 acres in Wisconsin. My play area is huge. Is anyone familiar with what they mean when they say:

Fencing, plants, or landscaping can be used.

I would love to be able to plant shrubs or something instead.
Michael 10:28 AM 04-21-2021
The American Holly is nicknamed the 'Privacy Hedge' because of the density of its foliage. But that kind of density can take years. You can try putting up fencing and then grow vines on it.

If you would like to look at flowering vines for fences, you have several choices.

If you would like a fast growing plant to cover the fence, you will want an annual. Some annual flowering vines for fences include:

Hops
Hyacinth Bean
Black-eyed Susan Vine
Passion Flower
Morning Glory

If you were looking for some perennial flowering vines for fences, these would include:

Dutchman’s Pipe
Trumpet vine
Clematis
Climbing Hydrangea
Honeysuckle
Wisteria
284878 10:48 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
When it comes to fencing I live on 3 acres in Wisconsin. My play area is huge. Is anyone familiar with what they mean when they say:

Fencing, plants, or landscaping can be used.

I would love to be able to plant shrubs or something instead.
My backyard has a natural fence (the neighbors planted trees) and I was not required to fence anything. I have since put up a cheap fence that keeps the kids coraled in the playground area but it was not required. If you feel that you may have a natural fence, you may not need to do anything.
TwinMama 11:02 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by 284878:
My backyard has a natural fence (the neighbors planted trees) and I was not required to fence anything. I have since put up a cheap fence that keeps the kids coraled in the playground area but it was not required. If you feel that you may have a natural fence, you may not need to do anything.
What kind of trees are they??

Omg!! So lucky!! Are you from Wisconsin??The person that's advising me with my pre licensing says that she's never seen any time that they've not required someone to have a fence. I just don't know what section we would fence, and it would make me a little sad for them not to be able to run and play tag or kickball.

I hope they can come up with a solution like trees or something. My backyard is no where near the road.
TwinMama 11:03 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
The American Holly is nicknamed the 'Privacy Hedge' because of the density of its foliage. But that kind of density can take years. You can try putting up fencing and then grow vines on it.

If you would like to look at flowering vines for fences, you have several choices.

If you would like a fast growing plant to cover the fence, you will want an annual. Some annual flowering vines for fences include:

Hops
Hyacinth Bean
Black-eyed Susan Vine
Passion Flower
Morning Glory

If you were looking for some perennial flowering vines for fences, these would include:

Dutchman’s Pipe
Trumpet vine
Clematis
Climbing Hydrangea
Honeysuckle
Wisteria
I love these suggestions!!! Thank you!!! I was wondering if maybe boxwood would be a solution as well. I like that it stays green.
284878 11:23 AM 04-21-2021
What kind of trees are they??

Omg!! So lucky!! Are you from Wisconsin??The person that's advising me with my pre licensing says that she's never seen any time that they've not required someone to have a fence. I just don't know what section we would fence, and it would make me a little sad for them not to be able to run and play tag or kickball.

I hope they can come up with a solution like trees or something. My backyard is no where near the road.
No MI. But I have always wanted to visit WI. Pine trees and dead trees, lol. That neighbor knows that they are dead but won't take them down. On the other side, it is my dad's property and it is just a tree line of random trees that just grow.

My playground, I just put up a 4 ft chicken fence that opens to one set of deck steps. But I do have a wooden fence that goes from the house to the pole barn with a gate and the pole barn blocks the kids from going towards the neighbor's driveway.

I do love having a fence around the playground, it keeps the toys, balls, and other things from blowing into the neighbor's tree line.

Is there a height requirement for your fence?

If not you could do a garden fence that you just stick in the ground.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 04-21-2021
My state also has the blurb about a "natural fence" if "approved". I have never known of one approved without an actual fence, minimum of 4 feet (without mulch). For a while the words "no ready footing" was included.

We literally have to fill out field trip forms to go play in the sprinklers in the front (unfenced) yard or use sidewalk chalk on the driveway. It is pretty easy though, I just have them all sign the same page per day and stick it in the binder.

Of course with COVID we are not allowed any fieldtrips. I am just going to claim ignorance and run the sprinklers like usual.
284878 11:41 AM 04-21-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My state also has the blurb about a "natural fence" if "approved". I have never known of one approved without an actual fence, minimum of 4 feet (without mulch). For a while the words "no ready footing" was included.

We literally have to fill out field trip forms to go play in the sprinklers in the front (unfenced) yard or use sidewalk chalk on the driveway. It is pretty easy though, I just have them all sign the same page per day and stick it in the binder.

Of course with COVID we are not allowed any fieldtrips. I am just going to claim ignorance and run the sprinklers like usual.

No field trips. Good thing that is not one of my rules, I would not be able to take DCB to the bus stop or get him off. I have a shared driveway, the front I only have the right way to, so I am required to treat it as a field trip.
TwinMama 12:33 PM 04-21-2021

Oh my goodness. It's like having rules for the sake of having rules.
Meeko 12:59 PM 04-21-2021
We are allowed "natural barrier" here in Utah. But it has to be a hedge so dense that kids couldn't get through it, which could take years to grow.
I'm from England and many, many home owners have tall, thick hedges instead of fences. Wonderful privacy. but not an overnight thing.
Attached: 172930253-prunus-laurocerasus-english-laurel-tall-privacy-hedge-fast-growing-urban-suburban-bord.jpg (147.1 KB) 
Cat Herder 01:01 PM 04-21-2021
Oh my goodness. It's like having rules for the sake of having rules.
Well, sort of. Whenever someone does something stupid and makes the news we get some new knee jerk regulation. One center gets a boo-boo we all get bandaids.

* The fencing became an issue not because the kids were getting out but because aggressive dogs, wild animals, non-custodial parents/grandparents, sex offenders and drug addicts/dealers were getting in.

* The "no ready footing" was because teachers got on their phones and SA kids escaped over the fence into traffic, into sexually active teenagers basements and the bottom of ponds/lakes.

* The field trip forms for going off approved daycare property were because providers were merging groups at one house, with one provider to 12-18+ kids, while the other provider went shopping/to appointment. When caught, they claimed it was a walking field trip and they were just on their way back. Parents were unaware they left the grounds.

* The no field trips during COVID was because centers were dumping all the school agers in movie theaters, skating rinks, libraries and local pools while the teachers were on their phones not monitoring masks, handwashing or social distancing. Add all the angry parents who were still out with their own kids/homeschooling, trying to enjoy an outing with their own kid and can't because of the constant large poorly behaved groups from the busses. Videos made it online.

Rinse, repeat ad nauseum. For 25+ years.....
TwinMama 06:53 AM 04-22-2021
Well, sort of. Whenever someone does something stupid and makes the news we get some new knee jerk regulation. One center gets a boo-boo we all get bandaids.

* The fencing became an issue not because the kids were getting out but because aggressive dogs, wild animals, non-custodial parents/grandparents, sex offenders and drug addicts/dealers were getting in.

* The "no ready footing" was because teachers got on their phones and SA kids escaped over the fence into traffic, into sexually active teenagers basements and the bottom of ponds/lakes.

* The field trip forms for going off approved daycare property were because providers were merging groups at one house, with one provider to 12-18+ kids, while the other provider went shopping/to appointment. When caught, they claimed it was a walking field trip and they were just on their way back. Parents were unaware they left the grounds.

* The no field trips during COVID was because centers were dumping all the school agers in movie theaters, skating rinks, libraries and local pools while the teachers were on their phones not monitoring masks, handwashing or social distancing. Add all the angry parents who were still out with their own kids/homeschooling, trying to enjoy an outing with their own kid and can't because of the constant large poorly behaved groups from the busses. Videos made it online.

Rinse, repeat ad nauseum. For 25+ years.....
Holy smokes. Well yeh. I guess I can understand it then. That's crazy!
Unregistered 09:22 AM 04-22-2021
Careful with Natural Fences. I was trying to find something to grow to hide our temporary Cattle fencing. Most everything I found was toxic to kids and/or pets if ingested. I was worried about spending the money and time growing them, just to be told not allowed. We went to a more permanent one, but if looking for temporary, cattle fencing with stakes was a cheaper/ easy installed barrier for us when I first opened.
TwinMama 11:41 AM 04-22-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Careful with Natural Fences. I was trying to find something to grow to hide our temporary Cattle fencing. Most everything I found was toxic to kids and/or pets if ingested. I was worried about spending the money and time growing them, just to be told not allowed. We went to a more permanent one, but if looking for temporary, cattle fencing with stakes was a cheaper/ easy installed barrier for us when I first opened.
That's a good thing to know.

I'm actually waiting for her to tell me what they allow. I'm thinking about boxwood whether I have to have a fence or not. We have them around other parts of our house and I think they would cover up the fence nicely.
Michael 01:20 PM 04-22-2021
I love these suggestions!!! Thank you!!! I was wondering if maybe boxwood would be a solution as well. I like that it stays green.
Boxwood: When ingested, boxwood may cause diarrhea, convulsions and respiratory failure.

https://pediatricurgentcareofnorther...sonous-plants/
TwinMama 02:32 PM 04-22-2021
Originally Posted by Michael:
Boxwood: When ingested, boxwood may cause diarrhea, convulsions and respiratory failure.

https://pediatricurgentcareofnorther...sonous-plants/
Well crumbs!!! That's not going to work then.
Tags:cat herder, fencing, fencing - natural
Reply Up