Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Beginning To Think Part Timers Are Not Worth The Effort
sahm2three 09:26 AM 02-01-2011
You spend all week getting them back used to the rules, then they go home for the weekend and you have to start all over again. I have 2 boys that come 3 days a week, and they are a challenge. The ring leader is here (he is one of the part timers), and he is stirring things up and acts as though he has never heard one of my rules! Dear God! It is far too cold to go outside, so they are running crazy in my house. Bring on nap time and then 5 pm!
Cat Herder 09:57 AM 02-01-2011
How old are they?? Would they do a few reps of jumping jacks/stretches/running in place with you a few times a day? My biggers love it!! (we play Baja men "Move it like this" each time)

I stopped doing part-time years ago because I like our routine.
bridgetokindergarten 11:58 AM 02-01-2011
I know what you mean about the part-time kids. You feel like you're starting over every time they come to your program. It is much better to offer a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday contiguous plan instead of the M-W-F plan. It's really hard on the kids to go from one set of rules at home to another set of rules at the center. Another option is to go Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday but the kids will have all those days from Wednesday through the weekend where they go nuts and then you've got them again.

In Head Start and many licensed preschools, they only offer five day a week plans for either half-day or full-day. It's hard for the working parents, but it's so much better for the children and the teacher. What good is a child care program when the kids are totally mxed up because of all the changes in rules wherever they go?
MamaBear 02:13 PM 02-01-2011
Part timers are so hard. I know what you mean... you get them all in the groove of things and on schedule with the other kids by the end of the week, and then they are gone for 4-5 days and feel like you're starting all over with them the next week. The only positive is that you mentally know you wont have to see that little buger for 4-5 days in between sometimes haha
Reply Up