Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Started 2 New DCKs 2 Weeks Ago And Now Everyone's Sick :(

I started 2 new dcks from 2 different families (7 month old and 2 yr old) a couple of weeks ago and now all the dcks have a common cold.

I totally expected this for the first 4-5 weeks once all the new dcks started but neither of these 2 new kids have ever been in daycare before so I'm wondering if I should just let the parents know this is normal or just ignore it and let it pass.

I was thinking maybe just a blanket email to all the dcfs reminding them that anytime we add new friends we also add new germs and frequently kids will come down with a cold or some other illness within the first month or so but after that things should level off.

What would you do?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama View Post
I started 2 new dcks from 2 different families (7 month old and 2 yr old) a couple of weeks ago and now all the dcks have a common cold.

I totally expected this for the first 4-5 weeks once all the new dcks started but neither of these 2 new kids have ever been in daycare before so I'm wondering if I should just let the parents know this is normal or just ignore it and let it pass.

I was thinking maybe just a blanket email to all the dcfs reminding them that anytime we add new friends we also add new germs and frequently kids will come down with a cold or some other illness within the first month or so but after that things should level off.

What would you do?
I would just leave it. a cold is a cold, its not big deal. if a parent is that concerned, they can approach you for reassurance. you dont have to go out of your way to say something they should know anyway....and you dont want to make it seem like you are promising the illnesses will be gone after a month or two, because you never know what will go around the daycare in the future. the only reason I would send an email like that would be if the parents as whole needed a reminder about your sickness policy, like not sending sick kids to daycare.

sometimes when we send these type of emails, it brings MORE attention to the situation, which isnt always a good thing.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM

That almost sounds as if the new kids started the cold. How do you know that one of your regulars didn't start the cold? Or someone in your own family?

I would hate to send an email implying that the new kids brought this into daycare.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:58 PM

I agree Cheerfuldom I'm just going to let it go.

I also didn't mean for it to imply that the new kid(s) brought it I actually meant new friends (as in new and old dcks) = new germs (for the new kids..from the old). If that makes any sense at all.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM

Actually it's going around so it's probably a fluke