Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Just Shoot Me

I have a 16 mo old boy that seriously does nothing but sit on the floor, usually in the corner, and cries on and off all day. He does not get up and even attempt to play. I try every tactic to get him interested in something and he doesn't want to do anything. I even take the toys to him in his safe spot to play and he just looks at them. It makes for a very long day. I cannot handle this non-stop crying. It's beyond irritating. I have 4 other kids ages 18 months - 3 years here today and they're all playing around him. UGH!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Have you talked to the parents?
Acts 13:22
Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Oh yes, they are not much help. They are the ones that I've talked about on here a few times. They pick him up at 5:00, get home at 5:20 and he's in bed by 7:00. It does not appear that they really spend alot of time with him. He gets up at 6:30, back down for a nap at 10:00, up at about 12:30, eats lunch, goes back down at 2:30. That's what his day looks like when he's not with me. Seems like when he's up, he's either eating a meal or sitting for about an hour and then back to bed he goes.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM

I dont know if there is much else you could do. I would try reading to him or setting up some kind of audio system near him so at least hes got something going. It might be more of a mental hang up for him, either not feeling very loved or just scared
Acts 13:22
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I know, I feel bad for him, but seriously I've tried everything. I sit right down with him on the floor and try to get him interested in anything and he just sits there and cries. It's not that he's sick or anything, this has been going on since he started here 3 months ago.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM

I had this exact same child. I tried everything! He just sat like a bump on a log most days, all day long, screaming and crying on and off. His parents also did not pay much attention to him and were incredibly lazy.
This child just refused to play. He was also very inactive... when he started with me at 11 months he couldn't even sit up on his own or roll over! He didn't stand on his own until 16 months and didn't walk until almost 18 months. Very delayed in many ways. He also refused to feed himself, even finger foods!
I felt bad for the little guy but he made me and the entire household MISERABLE for almost a year - I had to finally teminate them. I haven't regretted it a day since!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Oh that's what I'm afraid will happen here. I really want to help him but he's not making it easy. He's here again today, so we'll see how it goes. After his nap he was fine. He looked exhaused in the morning, but can't figure out why. The parents said that he slept from 7:30 - 6:30. How could he have been so exhausted?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Well another day with this wonderful child. Dad just dropped him off. Of course he's been up since 6:15 and it's now 8:00 and of course he hasn't eaten breakfast. He's crying and looks terrible. Dad says that he's been up and down all night teething. Mom had him sleeping on him from 1-4. Here he is..... Oh and the best part. Dad said he'll be home all day. Took the day off. UGH
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Sounds like the parents are inconsistent. He may actually be sleeping TOO much and all the inactivity is making him lethargic and low energy. Usually by that age I am transitioning a kid to one nap a day.

I feel bad for the little guy but there is only so much you can do. He sounds absolutely miserable.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

He takes 1 nap a day here and still takes 2 naps a day at home.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

When he cries, is he crying in a way that indicates he wants picked up or held? Or is he just whimpering?

I worked with some kids at one point that had been so neglected, they had given up. Even if he is dressed well, and clean, if there has been no interaction he may have just given up the idea of communication, and if he is really spending that much time alone in his bed (asleep or just there), he may not have had any really opportunity for physical movement or play, and may honestly not know how.

This is pretty concerning from a neglect pov. I think I would call and chat with the county. Sounds like the parents might need some classes on parenting. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get him evaluated.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsj View Post
When he cries, is he crying in a way that indicates he wants picked up or held? Or is he just whimpering?

I worked with some kids at one point that had been so neglected, they had given up. Even if he is dressed well, and clean, if there has been no interaction he may have just given up the idea of communication, and if he is really spending that much time alone in his bed (asleep or just there), he may not have had any really opportunity for physical movement or play, and may honestly not know how.

This is pretty concerning from a neglect pov. I think I would call and chat with the county. Sounds like the parents might need some classes on parenting. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get him evaluated.
It's a cross between a full blown cry and a wimper. Tears and everything. I have tried to pick him up, walk with him, cuddle him. He still cries. He's a little bit better right now because I took the blanket away. If he has his blanket, he will just sit in the corner and stare or cry. I have sat with him and played and he doesn't want to play with anything. I think he really doesn't know what to do. I just don't understand how the mom can be so excited to have him home at 5:20 and in bed by 7:00 when he just got up from his nap at 3:30 and she hasn't seen him all day.

I shouldn't have said he was okay. He's walking around right now looking for his blanket and crying. The other kids are playing with all of the toys and he wont' even look at them.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 AM

I don't really have any long term solutions for you but I do know that if I knew a parent was at home and the child was so miserable, I would be calling dad and saying "DCB is miserable and since you are home, he may just need to spend the day with you. How soon can you get you here?"

Are the parents at all concerned that he just spends his day crying and miserable at all?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

No, they really don't seem bothered by it at all. I tell them exactly how he behaves and they just kinda roll their eyes and don't say much. I asked if he cries at home at all like that and of course they say no. I think that's why they have him sleep so much is because he starts to get crabby and off to bed he goes. The mom said that they had a utility worker over the other day and it took her a long time to get him to calm down, so I dont' believe that he doesn't cry at home at all.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Wow, it almost sounds as if the parents really need to have this little guy assessed by his pediatrician. Something doesn't seem right....I mean there has to be some sort of reason he is so miserable all the time. I couldn't imagine feeling like that every day, all the time, it has to be exhausting for him.

I wonder if something isn't medically wrong with him? Or maybe he just never ever formed any type of attachment with any caregiver (parents included) in his life which would explain the constant state of uncertainty and uneasiness. You mentioned he is searching for his blanket....which would be his only source of comfort and only constant.

Poor little fella.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Well he was with his grandparents for the first year of his life. Actually more than a year. I feel so bad for him. He doesn't really look well. I feel bad about his blanket, but if I let him have it he does nothing but sit in the corner with it and doesn't get up and play. At least today now that I've taken the blanket away, he kinda started to get up and walk around and check out the toys more than he has. The other tactic I'm trying is to put some toys where he normally sits in the corner. This has also kept him up and moving and mingling more. Maybe if I do some minor adjustments it will almost force him to get up and check out things. Everytime he walks by me, I reach over and give him a hug and smile at him. I hope that he will turn the corner and be happier.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

Poor baby!!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Seriously poor baby! You should talk with his parents about these issues and discuss with them, told them that they should take some action on this type of baby's behavior.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

I did keep the parents up to date everytime he came letting them know what he was/wasn't doing. That last post of mine was on 10-4. He's come along pretty well. He still has his moments, but he is improving and starting to play with the other kids. I just think it's going to take him awhile.

Tags
16 month old, cries constantly