Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would This Be Okay to Say in a Newsletter?
Josiegirl 02:11 PM 10-13-2014
One of my dcfs brought in a bunch of log pieces(tree cookies) and the kids all made them a thank you card but I'd like to give them special mention in our monthly newsletter too. Would that be tacky?
BumbleBee 02:15 PM 10-13-2014
Depends on if you thank others for things in the newsletter. I had a family bring in a 3lb bag of apples for everybody, so I thanked them in the newsletter as well as a thank you card. Another family gifted us a parachute for gross motor play-I thanked them in the newsletter as well.

If you don't make a regular practice of it, I wouldn't put it in there. If it's a normal thing, then I wouldn't hesitate.

P.S. I finally know what Tree Cookies are. For the life of me I was trying to figure out what they were. Now I know.
crazydaycarelady 02:25 PM 10-13-2014
I'd put it in there for sure! If it is not a regular thing then start doing it now. When the other parents see that donations have been made they want to do it too. I had what seemed to be a little competition with the dcms bringing homemade treats. It was A~W~E~S~O~M~E!! I made a point of thanking each and every one of them on my fb page. Last week I had a dcm donate a ton of great toys too! The kids loved them and she got a big public thank you as well!
Thriftylady 03:17 PM 10-13-2014
I had to look up tree cookies when it came up in a post recently lol. But when I get kids I will be putting things like this in my newsletter. I agree that you probably should do an all or nothing thing.
Josiegirl 03:19 PM 10-13-2014
Ok, since I received differing opinions this is what I ended up doing(something like this):

I don't say thank you enough for all the wonderful things everyone does for daycare so I want to shout out a huge THANK YOU for all the donations of vegetables, toys and books,(and on and on). I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and the children all benefit from it so much.

Well, you get the idea. I didn't single anyone out but I did want to make a special mention for different things given to and done for daycare.
SignMeUp 03:30 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Ok, since I received differing opinions this is what I ended up doing(something like this):

I don't say thank you enough for all the wonderful things everyone does for daycare so I want to shout out a huge THANK YOU for all the donations of vegetables, toys and books,(and on and on). I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and the children all benefit from it so much.

Well, you get the idea. I didn't single anyone out but I did want to make a special mention for different things given to and done for daycare.

When I read 'log pieces & tree cookies' the first thing I thought of was a Buche de Noel (Yule Log cake) And now I want to make one
Talk about getting ahead of myself, holiday-wise
The best part are the meringue mushrooms
Thriftylady 03:32 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:

When I read 'log pieces & tree cookies' the first thing I thought of was a Buche de Noel (Yule Log cake) And now I want to make one
Talk about getting ahead of myself, holiday-wise
The best part are the meringue mushrooms
What the heck is a meringue mushrooms???? I learn more things here lol.
SignMeUp 05:56 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
What the heck is a meringue mushrooms???? I learn more things here lol.
A Buche de Noel is a thin cake spread with buttercream, then rolled up like a log. You frost it and texture the buttercream to look like bark, put on a little side branch cut, pipe on some leaves, and make mushrooms out of meringue.
Like the meringue on a lemon meringue pie. You can tuck the mushrooms into the icing, and set them on the plate. And make lots of extras because they are just little sweet, light bits of air that melt in your mouth, and they're SO cute

To make them, you pipe round blobs of meringue, and separate taller, thinner stems. Then you carve out a tiny bit from the bottom of each mushroom "cap", squirt in a little melted chocolate, and stick the stem in. Then dust the top with a good cocoa to give it an authentic look.

I always have been a sucker for cute l'il things
AmyKidsCo 08:44 PM 10-13-2014
Depends on what you usually do. I always thank parents for donations with a Post-It note on the sign-in right away, and in the newsletter later. I figure it's the nice thing to do, and lets other families know that it's OK to donate stuff.
melilley 06:42 AM 10-14-2014
I always thank families in my newsletters. Some go out of their way by donating or bringing things in, outside of paying their tuition, so I like to thank them.
Annalee 08:50 AM 10-14-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Depends on what you usually do. I always thank parents for donations with a Post-It note on the sign-in right away, and in the newsletter later. I figure it's the nice thing to do, and lets other families know that it's OK to donate stuff.
I agree! Placing thank you notes in the newsletters works wonders. It also makes parents that are not that involved become more involved....kinda like a domino reaction...which works great for my daycare!
crazydaycarelady 10:54 AM 10-14-2014
Now that you have done a blanket thank you to cover everyone, you should start doing individual thank yous in your upcoming newsletters.
Josiegirl 04:24 AM 10-18-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I'd put it in there for sure! If it is not a regular thing then start doing it now. When the other parents see that donations have been made they want to do it too. I had what seemed to be a little competition with the dcms bringing homemade treats. It was A~W~E~S~O~M~E!! I made a point of thanking each and every one of them on my fb page. Last week I had a dcm donate a ton of great toys too! The kids loved them and she got a big public thank you as well!
You were so right!! A dcm brought in a bag filled with art supplies yesterday! It was great. But strangely I felt guilty, hoping she didn't think I was seeking donations. I thanked her profusely and we made a thank you picture for her.
kitykids3 06:53 AM 10-18-2014
I would think it would be great. Let's parents know you appreciate their involvement. I always do. However, now that you've given the blanket thank you, that's great, but just remember to keep doing it.
Tags:newsletter
Reply Up