Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Daycare Costs Are Outrageous!" How Do You Respond??
blessedmess8 03:46 PM 08-26-2011
It always just floors me when people complain to me about the cost of child care! I make a decent living at it, but let's face it! I figured up my hourly pay once and promised myself I'd never do it again because it is very discouraging! Ha!! Most of us aren't in it for the $!
My gut instinct is to say something like: "Well, what do you pay for your car a month? Is your child at least worth that??" Buuuut, I try to avoid confrontation. I usually just kind of smile and nod and wonder how on earth someone can say that to ME?
How do you respond? I need a clever response to get my point accross that doesn't sound hateful and defensive. My husband once came to my defense during a conversation and said, "Well. It's like anything. You get what you pay for."
jen 03:53 PM 08-26-2011
Next time put it back on them and start asking questions like...

Really? You think so? Gosh, I don't know...I charge X per week for X amount of hours, so each person pays about $X per hour....that includes food, preschool, toys, etc.

What do you think is fair?

Most often I think people don't actually *think* about what they are really paying before opening their mouth!
Unregistered 03:59 PM 08-26-2011
Is that a parent who drives in in their NEW car, with their designer clothes on, their fancy coffee and will be on the way to their NEW house??
AfterSchoolMom 04:05 PM 08-26-2011
Most of the time, when people say that to me and I respond with "but you're only paying 2 dollars per hour", their response is "yes, but you make that PER child". Like I'm going to slap my forehead and go "you know, I never looked at it that way...on second thought, I'm rich!".
jen 04:16 PM 08-26-2011
You could always laugh and say, "YES! And thank God for that! I'm not sure how we'd afford our vacation home otherwise!"
mismatchedsocks 04:25 PM 08-26-2011
What i would WANT to say is "Whew, I know a 12 hour day 5 days a week, then all the planning, cleaning, shopping, food, art, supplies, love, attention, a safe place. Its probably worth about, what do you think? minimum wage?"

What I would say is "I know I dislike my bills too, especially that mortgage"
youretooloud 04:36 PM 08-26-2011
I had a Mom tell me that one day. I said "Well, you could look into state paid childcare". She said "No.. we make too much money".

"Did you just listen to yourself say that?"

"Ya... As soon as I said it, I realized how it sounded".

These same people were the BIGGEST HUGEST pain in my butt for two years. I have no idea why I put up with it for so long. Probably because her son was unfortunately my most favorite. He was our mascot. He was totally worth the fact that his mom was a shrew. (dad was actually a sweet guy.. in a puppy sort of way)
Kaddidle Care 04:44 PM 08-26-2011
Tell them if they feel it's so expensive to actually put on paper

what they make $$$

less gas
less work clothes
less prepared meals or dinner out

and if they don't bring home more than Daycare costs, they might as well stay home and actually raise their child themselves.
SilverSabre25 04:45 PM 08-26-2011
"Gosh, I know, they certainly are outrageously low, I'm glad you feel the same way! I guess this is a perfect time to talk about my $20/day rate increase..."
MommyMuffin 05:01 PM 08-26-2011
When I worked outside the home I made $120 a day or so...now I make $25 a day per child...plus I buy wipes, food, toys, pay for enrichment classes, curriculum for the preschoolers....hmmm

When your a parent it sounds like a lot of money but it really isnt when you break it down.
MyAngels 05:01 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
"Gosh, I know, they certainly are outrageously low, I'm glad you feel the same way! I guess this is a perfect time to talk about my $20/day rate increase..."
Love it!
Michael 05:13 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud;:
(dad was actually a sweet guy.. in a puppy sort of way)
to a guy that sounds like "lamb waiting for slaughter".
bgmeyers 05:19 PM 08-26-2011
I think I would just have to say that I'm worth way more than you are paying. And then say nothing more. This is the rudest comment from them!
familyschoolcare 05:19 PM 08-26-2011
I had a Mother say she could not afford my prices once. She said she wanted to sign her son up for 3 days but could only afford 1. I offered her the numbers for 4c's. She latter reported to me that they told her she qualified but that there was a 2 years wait. to which I responded oh that to bad.
nannyde 05:22 PM 08-26-2011
Just answer "yes it is CRAZY expensive. Kids cost SO much money. I always try to tell people BEFORE they have kids how expensive it is and they never believe me until they have one and start forking out the money to pay for them. Tell EVERYONE you know BEFORE they have kids what you just told me."
e.j. 05:29 PM 08-26-2011
I just had that conversation with a parent yesterday. Day care really is expensive in this area and for parents who are making minimum wage and/or have more than one kid, it can be a budget killer so I acknowledge that.

I usually say, "I know! It really is expensive, isn't it? My oldest child was in day care until I had my second child. I decided that I would be working just to pay for day care so instead, I decided to open my own day care business. Maybe that would be an option for you? You'll never get rich doing it but you get to be home with your kids and still bring in an income. I'll warn you, though.... for the person paying for day care, it feels really pricey. For the person providing the care and relying on the money for income, it doesn't seem like it's nearly enough!" Usually, the parent shrugs and says something like, "I guess you're right! Plus, I could never do what you do!" I've never had a parent complain twice.
PitterPatter 05:39 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
It always just floors me when people complain to me about the cost of child care! I make a decent living at it, but let's face it! I figured up my hourly pay once and promised myself I'd never do it again because it is very discouraging! Ha!! Most of us aren't in it for the $!
My gut instinct is to say something like: "Well, what do you pay for your car a month? Is your child at least worth that??" Buuuut, I try to avoid confrontation. I usually just kind of smile and nod and wonder how on earth someone can say that to ME?
How do you respond? I need a clever response to get my point accross that doesn't sound hateful and defensive. My husband once came to my defense during a conversation and said, "Well. It's like anything. You get what you pay for."
I never know how to respond in a witty way. I just tell them that the state pays the lowest rate at $20 per day so that is what I follow. I would love to say well I can give u a discounted rate but that will include discount care for your child. Shame is some parents would probably take me up on it. Lord knows I would never treat a child any other way tho. I get literally laughed at when I even try to charge for a holiday off so I never even got that.
countrymom 05:57 PM 08-26-2011
nothing beats the crazy lady that when I told her that I charge 30 dollars a day and she says "wow thats expensive, can you charge me 27 dollars a day so I can buy some smokes" omg I just about died laughing.
Koukla 06:26 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
nothing beats the crazy lady that when I told her that I charge 30 dollars a day and she says "wow thats expensive, can you charge me 27 dollars a day so I can buy some smokes" omg I just about died laughing.

omg lol no she didn't.
I jus tsay yes it is and i as well had that full time job away from home and when i had my little one that this was the best option for me because of how much it is. I then say that maybe they want to look into it but just so you know you have to blah blah blah and go through all the training and paper work you have to do on top of having people in and out of your house all day. They norm. gooh no way I could not do that. I dont know how you do it. then run waith their tail between their legs lol
Former Teacher 06:56 PM 08-26-2011
I would tell all the men and women who complain that the only way to avoid high daycare costs is to keep their legs closed and pants zipped up.
cheerfuldom 07:03 PM 08-26-2011
I just agree and say "kids are expensive. imagine how much money I could be making if I wasn't working in childcare. You know how many kids I take care of and what I charge per day so feel free to do the math. We could trade jobs and you could be making barely minimum wage just like me" yes I have said that
youretooloud 08:22 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
to a guy that sounds like "lamb waiting for slaughter".
He was. She commonly referred to him as "Sperm donor", even though they were married.
learn-n-grow 09:17 AM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
that really bothers me! You can pay for cigarettes on the regular basis but you complain about childcare prices. If you really needed to save money, you would kick that smoking habit and save whatever you are spending on cigarettes.
blessedmess8 09:20 AM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I just had that conversation with a parent yesterday. Day care really is expensive in this area and for parents who are making minimum wage and/or have more than one kid, it can be a budget killer so I acknowledge that.

I usually say, "I know! It really is expensive, isn't it? My oldest child was in day care until I had my second child. I decided that I would be working just to pay for day care so instead, I decided to open my own day care business. Maybe that would be an option for you? You'll never get rich doing it but you get to be home with your kids and still bring in an income. I'll warn you, though.... for the person paying for day care, it feels really pricey. For the person providing the care and relying on the money for income, it doesn't seem like it's nearly enough!" Usually, the parent shrugs and says something like, "I guess you're right! Plus, I could never do what you do!" I've never had a parent complain twice.
This is actually usually about how I respond. I've been in the "working parent" position and daycare is a big expense! But, quality care is worth it!!!
Kaddidle Care 10:12 AM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If they are putting their child in Daycare and only bringing in minimum wage then they've got rocks for brains.
e.j. 10:34 AM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
If they are putting their child in Daycare and only bringing in minimum wage then they've got rocks for brains.
Could be. I think some do it, though, because they realize it's for a relatively short time period until the kids go off to school and they want to keep working to maintain job skills and maybe advance in their jobs vs. having to start over once the kids are older. Others just want the break from their kids no matter what the cost.
mac60 12:33 PM 08-27-2011
Most intelligent people will look beyond the 5 years to the day they put their child in school. It can be very very hard to get back into a profession, once you are gone for a few years, not only that you loose all benefits, vacation pay,etc. Plus you start at the bottom again. And seriously, minimum wage will bring in a paycheck, and to some people, having that $200 left over after paying a provider $85 (in our area) is a Godsend, especially in this economy.
Ariana 01:54 PM 08-27-2011
I just got this comment on Friday and came in here to post about it

The DCM always complains about how her job pays her "peanuts". So on Friday she says it yet again and goes "Do you know they only pay me $18 an hour....and half that goes to daycare"!!!!!! Seriously??? How rude is that. I felt like saying to her "do you know how much you pay me?? $5 an hour so stick it where the sun don't shine"
Kaddidle Care 02:06 PM 08-27-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
Most intelligent people will look beyond the 5 years to the day they put their child in school. It can be very very hard to get back into a profession, once you are gone for a few years, not only that you loose all benefits, vacation pay,etc. Plus you start at the bottom again. And seriously, minimum wage will bring in a paycheck, and to some people, having that $200 left over after paying a provider $85 (in our area) is a Godsend, especially in this economy.
OK - let me put this in black and white for you - and I'll go easy on the costs.

$290.00 Gross Minimum wage here = 7.25 per hour x 40 hours
- 14.50 5% Tax (estimate),
-150.00 Daycare (here it's at least $150.00 for full time)
- 25.00 prepared meals/fast food ( $25.00-$50.00 per week )
- 30.00 Gas money, work wardrobe, hair & nails.
$60.50 Net

60.50 divided by 40 hours per week = $1.51 per hour.

I know every little bit helps but to me it's not worth it.

As far as holding your place in the work force.. no job is guaranteed these days.

Well there is one.. being a Mom.
PolarCare 05:15 PM 08-27-2011
"sure are! Thank heavens children are priceless!"

"They sure are! But then again, ya get what you pay for, and I know where I wouldn't try and save a buck!"
PitterPatter 08:12 PM 08-27-2011
This is where the state steps in. Here parents can make well above min wage and still get free/cheap daycare. Example; I had a client with 1 child I recently termed that made $12.00 per hour 40-50 hrs per week and was only required to pay $2.00 per day for her daycare fee.
blessedmess8 07:21 PM 08-28-2011
Originally Posted by PolarCare:
"sure are! Thank heavens children are priceless!"

"They sure are! But then again, ya get what you pay for, and I know where I wouldn't try and save a buck!"
I like those!!! And I think I'll start saying, "Yep! Kids are our biggest investments aren't they?"
MG&Lsmom 04:53 AM 08-29-2011
OK - let me put this in black and white for you - and I'll go easy on the costs.

$290.00 Gross Minimum wage here = 7.25 per hour x 40 hours
- 14.50 5% Tax (estimate),
-150.00 Daycare (here it's at least $150.00 for full time)
- 25.00 prepared meals/fast food ( $25.00-$50.00 per week )
- 30.00 Gas money, work wardrobe, hair & nails.
$60.50 Net

60.50 divided by 40 hours per week = $1.51 per hour.

I know every little bit helps but to me it's not worth it.

As far as holding your place in the work force.. no job is guaranteed these days.

Well there is one.. being a Mom.
This is exactly why I lost one of my dcks! She did the math. But she was only working 25-30 hours/week and paying me $25/day. Plus her job was 30 mins away driving back roads. It was good for dcb to be here, but she could not afford it and the wait list for vouchers is SO long! Now she works when dad is off or a friend can watch him for free. Too bad, cuz I loved that little guy!
CheekyChick 06:10 AM 08-29-2011
I would say...

Yes. Quality care with a trained staff (or provider) is pricey, but that's one area parents cannot afford to compromise on.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 08-29-2011
My response: "You are right child care is very expensive but quality care is priceless."
KDC 09:02 AM 08-29-2011
I charge $45/day for full time. I only have one family that feels it might be high, however I've done my homework and called the surrounding area day care centers, as well as family home day cares to see what they are charging. I have a waiting list, my rate is not on the high end for my area, but is around the average. I have a website which has a blog & lunch menu as well as the parent handbook, photos and other useful information for the parents. I care for the kids as if they're my own and the parents feel that. If they're making cuts at home to afford me, I work very hard to make them feel it's worth every penny. If you're priced right for your area, don't feel bad...tell them you've done your homework and other centers are more, or that you're average. Maybe they should have done their homework and thought about child care before having children? (Maybe not say that exactly, but think it and hope they can hear your thoughts!).
blessedmess8 09:19 AM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by KDC:
I charge $45/day for full time. I only have one family that feels it might be high, however I've done my homework and called the surrounding area day care centers, as well as family home day cares to see what they are charging. I have a waiting list, my rate is not on the high end for my area, but is around the average. I have a website which has a blog & lunch menu as well as the parent handbook, photos and other useful information for the parents. I care for the kids as if they're my own and the parents feel that. If they're making cuts at home to afford me, I work very hard to make them feel it's worth every penny. If you're priced right for your area, don't feel bad...tell them you've done your homework and other centers are more, or that you're average. Maybe they should have done their homework and thought about child care before having children? (Maybe not say that exactly, but think it and hope they can hear your thoughts!).
Wow! I charge half that and I'm on the high end for homes around my area! :-/ Actually, MY parents aren't the ones who say things like this to me. It's usually friends, family, aquaintances. Maybe the just forget what I do for a living? I don't know! Ha
laundrymom 11:27 AM 08-29-2011
I would just say, I know EVERYTHING about kids is expensive, daycare, food, medicine, college, clothes..... its hard to be a parent, but we all chose to.
AfterSchoolMom 04:21 PM 09-01-2011
I just quoted $50 per week for ten hours of morning care weekly (a school ager), plus breakfast and daily supervision at the bus stop (I walk them there and stand with them)...and they said "Wow, we weren't really prepared to pay that much."
Former Teacher 04:55 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I just quoted $50 per week for ten hours of morning care weekly (a school ager), plus breakfast and daily supervision at the bus stop (I walk them there and stand with them)...and they said "Wow, we weren't really prepared to pay that much."
Oh I know...people want Mary Poppins but they dont want to pay for it. When I get a response from my advertisments and I give them quotes or whatever...I just tell them : you get what you pay for
blessedmess8 09:33 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Oh I know...people want Mary Poppins but they dont want to pay for it. When I get a response from my advertisments and I give them quotes or whatever...I just tell them : you get what you pay for
Yep! I've heard crickets on the phone line when I've told people my rates! But, I'm not about to back down! Considering I have a college degree in my field, my hourly wage for my 10+ hour days is sepressing already!! Ha!
mac60 03:44 AM 09-02-2011
In our area the going rate for a home daycare is $85 per week ft child. Approx $135 per week 2 kids ft. Bottom line is, parents don't think we deserve to be paid to watch their offspring. They are fine spending their money on upscale clothing, vacations, expensive vehicles, new things for their home, etc, but when it comes daycare, they want as much as they can get for as little as they can pay. Very sad.

The thing with a job, is that you typically get some type of raises, benefits of vacations, sick days, holidays paid, insurance and your wages normally go up at specific intervals. With daycare I get none of these benefits, other than holidays paid.

No matter what type of job a person has there is always some type of cost directly related to working.....and that does not matter if I work outside the home or work from home, there are still unrelated cost there. Honestly, right now I am at a level where I think if I could find a job making $11/$12 outside the home, I would be better off, as my grocery bill would be pry cut in half, my utilities including elec/heat/air cond would get reduced, water consumption, laundry cost associated with doing all the laundry from dc would be reduced, my home insurance would go down, my extra hours working outside of my 11 hour day for daycare would be drastically reduced, the wear and tear on my home which is huge would be reduced.
Country Kids 06:02 AM 09-02-2011
In our area the going rate for a home daycare is $85 per week ft child. Approx $135 per week 2 kids ft. Bottom line is, parents don't think we deserve to be paid to watch their offspring. They are fine spending their money on upscale clothing, vacations, expensive vehicles, new things for their home, etc, but when it comes daycare, they want as much as they can get for as little as they can pay. Very sad.

The thing with a job, is that you typically get some type of raises, benefits of vacations, sick days, holidays paid, insurance and your wages normally go up at specific intervals. With daycare I get none of these benefits, other than holidays paid.

No matter what type of job a person has there is always some type of cost directly related to working.....and that does not matter if I work outside the home or work from home, there are still unrelated cost there. Honestly, right now I am at a level where I think if I could find a job making $11/$12 outside the home, I would be better off, as my grocery bill would be pry cut in half, my utilities including elec/heat/air cond would get reduced, water consumption, laundry cost associated with doing all the laundry from dc would be reduced, my home insurance would go down, my extra hours working outside of my 11 hour day for daycare would be drastically reduced, the wear and tear on my home which is huge would be reduced.
I've thought about the working outside of the home alot lately. The three things that keep me doing childcare are the field I would want to go into I would probably take about $1,000 paycut a month. Also, I wouldn't have write offs on my taxes and would probably have to start paying so there goes more money out. Lastly, I would still have to find childcare for my youngest for before and afterschool care. Right now just not the right time to leave and go outside the home.
blessedmess8 06:13 AM 09-02-2011

Are you deducting all those things on your taxes? They pay off at the end of the year!
SilverSabre25 06:40 AM 09-02-2011

Oh, mac, don't depress me...$85/week is the going rate, really? ARGH! I can't live on $85/week for these kids, and I have two spots to fill. A year ago I was full w/ waiting list for $120 a week. *sigh*

Although, I did email a few providers from CL who have zip codes near me and they are all charging the same or more than what I charge so maybe the trend will reverse itself? Soon? Maybe?
mac60 06:48 AM 09-02-2011
Of coarse I am deducting all I can and I do understand there are good tax right offs.

When it comes to ac/heat....I am open from 6 to 5:15. I have our home comfortable with the heat/ac during this time. Today we are inside because heat index is to be 105. While in the end, I can deduct 41% of my utilities, I do not feel that that is "fair" for lack of another word. Open from 11+ hours day, heat/ac on to a comfortable level, at 9:30 when we go to bed the heat gets turned down or air gets turned up, my biggest expense of the day in running my utilities is the 11 + hours I am open for my daycare 5 days a week. Did that make sense. So while I can deduct a % of my utilities, I am still using more than I am deducting as I see it.

And as for the wear and tear on my home, when a kid vomits on my carpet, I can deduct nothing except the shampoo I use to clean it up. I can't deduct the time spent repeatedly cleaning the area day after day after hours to get the smell out, running the fan for 2 days straight to dry it, etc. I can not tell you how many times I have had to shampoo vomit out of my carpet after hours. I guess I can chalk it up to the hidden cost of my job.
SilverSabre25 06:51 AM 09-02-2011
Of coarse I am deducting all I can and I do understand there are good tax right offs.

When it comes to ac/heat....I am open from 6 to 5:15. I have our home comfortable with the heat/ac during this time. Today we are inside because heat index is to be 105. While in the end, I can deduct 41% of my utilities, I do not feel that that is "fair" for lack of another word. Open from 11+ hours day, heat/ac on to a comfortable level, at 9:30 when we go to bed the heat gets turned down or air gets turned up, my biggest expense of the day in running my utilities is the 11 + hours I am open for my daycare 5 days a week. Did that make sense. So while I can deduct a % of my utilities, I am still using more than I am deducting as I see it.

And as for the wear and tear on my home, when a kid vomits on my carpet, I can deduct nothing except the shampoo I use to clean it up. I can't deduct the time spent repeatedly cleaning the area day after day after hours to get the smell out, running the fan for 2 days straight to dry it, etc. I can not tell you how many times I have had to shampoo vomit out of my carpet after hours. I guess I can chalk it up to the hidden cost of my job.
You can deduct the time you spend...you can add it to your time/space percentage. Anything you do after hours can be added.
mac60 06:56 AM 09-02-2011
Oh, mac, don't depress me...$85/week is the going rate, really? ARGH! I can't live on $85/week for these kids, and I have two spots to fill. A year ago I was full w/ waiting list for $120 a week. *sigh*

Although, I did email a few providers from CL who have zip codes near me and they are all charging the same or more than what I charge so maybe the trend will reverse itself? Soon? Maybe?
Unfortunately yes, average for home daycares here. The centers are a little more, but here home dc are typically less than a center. And seriously, people crap about this. I recently had a family of 2 schoolagers leave after 7 years because they thought $55 a week was too much for 2 kids schoolage care. Ugg, the center would of charged them $90 at one and $75 at the other. Some just want it for nothing.
blessedmess8 06:58 AM 09-02-2011
You can deduct the time you spend...you can add it to your time/space percentage. Anything you do after hours can be added.
Yes! And you can deduct the supplies used to clean it, if you rent/buy a cleaner. You can deduct depreciation on your home (and DON'T let a tx preparer tell you that you can't!!) I know we all deduct, but I only asked b/c I recently attended a Tom Copeland training on the subject and was pretty floored on how many deductions I was missing out on and all the things my tax preparer didn't even know about!! Are you able to be on a food program?? I don't see how people make anything if they aren't! Food is my biggest expense!!!
mac60 07:31 AM 09-02-2011
Our accountant recommended not depreciating our home, as it is a negative should you sell, and I am planning to get out of dodge in a very few years. It's is funny how different tax accountants offer all the different suggestions as to what and what not to do.
Stacy214 07:31 AM 09-02-2011
Just tell them "well wait till you have to pay for college" they'll shut up Cause if you don't think they are getting an education here with us then they are sadly mistaken.
Country Kids 07:37 AM 09-02-2011
Actually I saw on the news a few days ago that in some parts of the country childcare is equivalent in costs for a year as sending a child to a public university about $18,000 dollars a year!!!!
Stacy214 07:47 AM 09-02-2011
So true! Here in NC we have the higher cost university (Elon, Duke and UNC) lol so this line works for me if any of my kids want to stay in state lol...tuition can go upwards into $35,000 plus range, bleh...then add room and board and books, meals...insane. I charge $140 a week, and they don't complain
Meeko 08:07 AM 09-02-2011
I tend six siblings. Their day care is paid for by the state. Four of the kids are back in school now, so the mom gets less on her card for day care. She now has to pay me $280 per month out of her own pocket for SIX kids (that's just $46 per MONTH for each kid) and she hasn't stopped griping for days.......the entitlement attitude never ends.....
Unregistered 06:33 AM 05-21-2013
I do not drive a brand new car. I can not afford Starbucks, or expensive coffee. I haven't haven't been able to buy myself a new pair of shoes in 4 years. I am a 42-year-old college student. I have a wife, who I love with all my heart, and a 4-year-old son who is the reason I breathe. I am that person complaining about the high cost of daycare. Without it, I don't have anyone to watch my son, but we can't afford it.

On the average, the cost is $151 per week. Per WEEK!?!? Seriously? At 4 years old, for 2 hours 4 days a week. That's 8 hours per week. $20 per hour to watch him play with other kids. $20 per hour to text on your phone, or check your FB status, or 'act' like something beneficial is happening. I'm not worried about education at 4. I take care of that at home.

In my honest opinion, every loser who couldn't get a real job opens a daycare, and then thinks it's ok to charge that amount they do, for the 'benefit' of having them watch our children. I would love nothing more than to stay home and raise my son. But, the world demands I have money. Well...I won't be giving it to any of the blood sucking 'day-bee-sitters'.
SilverSabre25 06:41 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do not drive a brand new car. I can not afford Starbucks, or expensive coffee. I haven't haven't been able to buy myself a new pair of shoes in 4 years. I am a 42-year-old college student. I have a wife, who I love with all my heart, and a 4-year-old son who is the reason I breathe. I am that person complaining about the high cost of daycare. Without it, I don't have anyone to watch my son, but we can't afford it.

On the average, the cost is $151 per week. Per WEEK!?!? Seriously? At 4 years old, for 2 hours 4 days a week. That's 8 hours per week. $20 per hour to watch him play with other kids. $20 per hour to text on your phone, or check your FB status, or 'act' like something beneficial is happening. I'm not worried about education at 4. I take care of that at home.

In my honest opinion, every loser who couldn't get a real job opens a daycare, and then thinks it's ok to charge that amount they do, for the 'benefit' of having them watch our children. I would love nothing more than to stay home and raise my son. But, the world demands I have money. Well...I won't be giving it to any of the blood sucking 'day-bee-sitters'.
No offense sir, but if you are paying $151 a week for 8 hours of care, that is patently ridiculous and you should look for other care
momofboys 06:51 AM 05-21-2013

That is very harsh. I think you will find on average MOST providers are very highly educated & your comment is very condescending & belittling (I have a 4-year degree & have had several offers for jobs outside of the home but I choose to be at home with my family & MAKE LESS $$ because I value time with my kids). You admit you need childcare but think the person caring for your child doesn't deserve to be decently paid. I agree your rates seem high for the few # of hours; however, typically providers can't fill in hours around when your child isn't there & your child is likely taking up a FT spot. So I really don't think your provider's rates are that outlandish. Find someone else who is more in your price-range if you aren't happy.
bunnyslippers 06:51 AM 05-21-2013

You sir, are misinformed. I had an incredibly high-powered career as a school administrator. I gave that career up to open my child care, in order to be home raising my own children. It is a decision anyone can make. It is all in your priorities as a parent, and as a career person in the workforce.

There is no need to insult all of the dedicated child care providers by calling us losers. Insulting people really only makes you look unintelligent, ignorant, and bitter.
LaLa1923 07:03 AM 05-21-2013
No offense sir, but if you are paying $151 a week for 8 hours of care, that is patently ridiculous and you should look for other care
1. There's always 2 sides to the story..... Do you really think those are the only hours his child is in care??

2. It would depend on the times. If I had someone come in the middle of the day that child still takes a spot...
canadiancare 07:06 AM 05-21-2013
I've only had one parent that I ever felt begrudged me my fees. She also commented once when she asked for an extension that my husband makes good money so if she was late it shouldn't matter.

I didn't keep her long after that.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 05-21-2013

canadiancare 07:24 AM 05-21-2013
Ha I hadn't even read what they had posted.
Leigh 07:27 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I would tell all the men and women who complain that the only way to avoid high daycare costs is to keep their legs closed and pants zipped up.
Amen.
rmc20021 07:38 AM 05-21-2013

I guess I would have to assume you are not using childcare then since you cannot afford it. I just have to wonder how you are managing to work if you don't have someone to care for your child, and if it was something you thought about before having children.

As for every loser who cannot get a real job, I hope you realize many on here have masters degrees, bachelors degrees, and have teaching degrees.

We all decide to open daycares for various reasons...NONE of which are to get rich, but in many situations are because they cannot afford childcare themselves and choose to stay home with their children and still be able to earn a little bit of a wage to supplement their family income.

If you think childcare providers are losers, maybe you should consider staying home with your own child and going through all the background checks, fingerprinting, home inspections, trainings and scrutiny of your state, not to mention the daily enlightenments from daycare parents who just don't seem to get it and have the gaul to degrade the people who they leave their children with. And then you have the children themselves...green snotty noses, explosive diarrhea, fighting, biting, screaming, throwing food etc.

Yes this is a thankless job, but it's also very rewarding as we have the priviledge of being able to watch a child grow and develop under our care. We are able to be there to nurture them and when we are able to be there for our own children, that's an added plus.

AS for sitting on the computer or phone...if you honestly believe that with 6 preschool children running around that would be a possibility, then you really have no clue what goes on in a childcare environment.

I AM on my computer at this time...my kids are doing centers right now and I'm taking a 15 minute break, while still watching the children and supervising their every move. What do you do on your breaks? Go smoke a cigarette? Or maybe you get to go to the restroom uninterupted...oh yeah, that would be most enjoyable for most of us to be able to actually sit on the toilet without someone having a meltdown.

While I do agree that in many areas childcare is expensive, but in my area this is what my hourly wage breaks down to...read it and weep, because I'm getting rich off people like you.

7:30 - 3:30 for 3 days out of the week, my hourly wage is 5.40 per hour
7:30 - 3:30 for the other 2 days of the week, my hrly wage is 7.90 per hour
3:30 - 5:30 for 3 days out of the week, my hourly wage is 21.40 per hour
3:30 - 5:30 for the other 2 days of the week, my hrly wage is 23.90 per hr.

So what this means is that I have some part time kids, as well as some school age kids...that explains the different amounts for different days/times of the week. I work 50 hours per week...PROVIDED the parents pick up on time. My total income is 405.00 per week, which means my AVERAGE hourly income is 8.10 per hour.

Now, that is BEFORE I buy food...which usually comes out to about 200.00 per week. I am on a food program, but that covers half of what I purchase, so that reduces MY income down to 305.00 per week, or $6.10 per hour.

Out of that 305.00 per week, I spend no less than 50.00 for supplies, equipment, toys, and anything else that helps to make your childs day in my care go smoothly, to entertain them, to make them feel special while they have to be away from home.

So, now that leaves about 250.00 per week, or 5.00 per hour...and that whopping 5.00 per hour still has to be taxed by uncle sam.

Why do we do it for such lousy wages...so YOU my friend, and other parents who CAN'T do our job (and trust me, most cannot) can go to work and even after they pay their childcare fees, they are still bringing home at least as much as we are. We do it so we can stay home with our own children and we do it because we love children. In most cases...if we can earn that extra few dollars per week to help supplement our family income...then yes, it is so worth it.

Oh...one more thing. We also teach the children in our care manners and respect. Are you sure you wouldn't want your child in a caring nurturing environment like that? Or would you rather pass along the negative, nasty attitude to your child so they can go through life hating someone who does so much for our young children today?

Unfortunately it's a two income world today, and unfortunately it cannot be done without the help of childcare providers across the world.

To everyone who may be offended by my post, I truly apologize. I don't usually get this upset by uneducated people who really don't know the other side of the coin, but this one really irked me.
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 05-21-2013
Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape over what some uneducated fool is posting on the internet???

STOP feeding the trolls and they usually won't come back.
wdmmom 07:43 AM 05-21-2013
Yes, having sex is very expensive!
Familycare71 07:53 AM 05-21-2013
Can't afford child care BUT can afford to be a 42 year old college student!??! Lol!

I became close friends with one of my dcm- she has been talking about having her 10 year old stay home alone to help "cut costs" it is driving me crazy!! Or she will say how she would need to stay home if I raised my rates because all her $ goes to me anyway- mind you her daughter is a high anxiety and ADHD kid who needs tons of support and her son has an autisim diagnosis...
So frustrating and annoying! Today I told her- idk - I could never imagine being willing to cut cost on my kids-
Normally I love her and we are on the same page and desperate work and friendship well but I wish she would stop bringing this up!
Leigh 07:53 AM 05-21-2013

Wow, what a douche! Losers who can't get a real job? I had a real job (at one of the nations premiere employers), a career job, a job where I would be taken care of for life-great retirement benefits with a pension and health insurance for life. I quit that job because I loved my child too much to let him grow up at someone else's house, letting them be the ones to experience the best of his growing up. I went from making $1500 a WEEK to making less than that in a month.

How DARE you accuse me of charging too much!

And to think that all I do is watch your kid play with other kids? I am the one wiping your kid's nose, holding him when he is scared, teaching him how to use the potty, reading to him and helping him learn his numbers and letters. I am the one who teaches him about socially acceptable ways to act (something YOU apparently are not capable of, based on the content your your statement), and I am the one you should be THANKING for taking care of your child.

What, exactly, DO you think it is worth to pay the person who, literally, spends more time with your child than you do? I DID use daycare for the first year of my son's life, and I regret it like you won't believe that I missed out on all those hours with him. NO amount of money would make up for it. However, his daycare provider was kind and loving, and he adored her. This did provide me some comfort. Don't complain that you can't afford a new pair of shoes when you're coming to an internet forum to bitch that someone won't watch your child for free. How are you managing to pay for your internet? Do you call your internet provider and complain about the price? I promise you that THEY are making a much higher profit than I am.

I swear to you that I am JUST breaking even in daycare. My daycare funds just cover the cost of groceries for my household, and then for toys and supplies for daycare. I SHOULD charge twice what I do so that I can make a profit like every other company aspires to do, but then douchebag parents who make $25 an hour will bitch about the cost of their $2/hr. daycare.

Know what? I am charging the SAME price that some daycares in my town were getting TWENTY TWO freaking years ago. Would YOU go that long without a raise? And, something "beneficial" IS happening, loser: Someone is taking care of your child's physical and emotional needs while you leave him for 10 hours a day. If you don't like what you're paying for daycare, you can do what I did: I quit the job of my dreams, gave up all luxuries, started shopping thrift stores and using coupons, and stayed home with my child. If you are SO jealous of my fabulous life, have a shot at it yourself!
Unregistered 08:39 AM 05-21-2013
If this guy is for real,perhaps he should have thought this all through BEFORE having a child. I mean it's not rocket science that kids cost a lot of money. And if the dc providers are all losers, what does that make you for bringing your kid to one? And don't you think that you should research more if you're "ONLY" bringing your kid 8 hours a week and you're being charged $151 per week for that kind of care? Perhaps the Loser, dear parent, is YOU. My suggestion for is is, next time, don't get someone knocked up and then crybabypants over how much that costs you.
msmegandc 10:24 AM 05-21-2013
Glad i'm not the only one that endures the cost of daycare pressure from parents! I have one family that has 3 kids with me, 2 of which are twins. I gave them the deal of the century. Kicking myself now as it actually costs me $ to watch them! They are so unappreciative and continue to nickel and dime me to death. Never is there an offer to pay for wipes, diaper cream or food. Then to top it off, after having watched their oldest for 2 1/2 years prior to the twins, they had the gall to ask if my vacation days were paid. My response, "yes, as has been my policy for 12 years." They are mad because of the cost of raising 3 kids and are putting pressure on me to reduce my fees even more. In CA, specifically the area I live in, the cost of infant care is between $500-800 for in-home care. I gave them a rate below $500 per kid and the gripes continue. If only they had a clue of how much work and expense is put on me, they would see the light.
Laurel 10:57 AM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Just answer "yes it is CRAZY expensive. Kids cost SO much money. I always try to tell people BEFORE they have kids how expensive it is and they never believe me until they have one and start forking out the money to pay for them. Tell EVERYONE you know BEFORE they have kids what you just told me."
Perfect thing to say!

I usually just say "Yes, it is expensive to raise children today isn't it? It doesn't get much better when they're older either." I like your answer better though.

Laurel
Laurel 01:35 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would just say, I know EVERYTHING about kids is expensive, daycare, food, medicine, college, clothes..... its hard to be a parent, but we all chose to.
Another great answer!

Laurel
Laurel 01:38 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by msmegan:
Glad i'm not the only one that endures the cost of daycare pressure from parents! I have one family that has 3 kids with me, 2 of which are twins. I gave them the deal of the century. Kicking myself now as it actually costs me $ to watch them! They are so unappreciative and continue to nickel and dime me to death. Never is there an offer to pay for wipes, diaper cream or food. Then to top it off, after having watched their oldest for 2 1/2 years prior to the twins, they had the gall to ask if my vacation days were paid. My response, "yes, as has been my policy for 12 years." They are mad because of the cost of raising 3 kids and are putting pressure on me to reduce my fees even more. In CA, specifically the area I live in, the cost of infant care is between $500-800 for in-home care. I gave them a rate below $500 per kid and the gripes continue. If only they had a clue of how much work and expense is put on me, they would see the light.
You can always change your mind about their rates. There is no way I'd watch children if it was costing me.

Laurel
Evansmom 01:46 PM 05-21-2013
That dude that brought this old thread back up is a TROLL y'all!!!!!
Mister Sir Husband 01:47 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape over what some uneducated fool is posting on the internet???

Very well put..
EntropyControlSpecialist 01:55 PM 05-21-2013

I charge $145 per week for 45 hours of care and teaching and I find that to be a reasonable rate for a preschool running on daycare hours.
I also graduated college with a teaching degree and chose to teach in my home instead of a school as it would allow me to take care of my child in my home without sending them away to daycare.
This career didn't choose me, I chose it.

Edited: Oops. No more feeding trolls.
mpb12 01:55 PM 05-21-2013
I have one parent who said it to me once, and I told her that if she had no money for it why in Gods name she made a second child. Well,that worked, because she never asked me if it was ok to drop off her second child for free once in while. We are professional like any other professionals out there and we should stand for what we want to build for our business, unfortunately, some people still do it as a favor to neighbors and family members. I`m very honest with my clients and never lost one of them from being myself. I charge 270.00 per week now, with contract, or 20 dollars an hour without contract.
Laurel 03:44 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It works really well when no one responds to trolls. I was on a forum once where no one did and they went away fast. It was wonderful.

Laurel
Bugsworthy 07:09 PM 05-21-2013
I had a parent who complained about cost. Then she enrolled her child in a pre-school that required a $1000.00 deposit. The monthly tuition equals her mortgage!!!! I spoke with her once about becoming a stay at home mom if it was too expensive. Her response?......"No way, then we couldn't afford our trip to Spain each summer."

Gas to childcare...........$10 a week
Tuition for childcare......$150 a week
Knowing your child is safe while your away.....priceless

Your not paying for childcare....your paying for peace of mind.
Cradle2crayons 08:01 PM 05-21-2013
I've never had a parent say this to me...... Maybe I don't charge enough lol
Kaddidle Care 04:32 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by Bugsworthy:
I had a parent who complained about cost. Then she enrolled her child in a pre-school that required a $1000.00 deposit. The monthly tuition equals her mortgage!!!! I spoke with her once about becoming a stay at home mom if it was too expensive. Her response?......"No way, then we couldn't afford our trip to Spain each summer."

Gas to childcare...........$10 a week
Tuition for childcare......$150 a week
Knowing your child is safe while your away.....priceless

Your not paying for childcare....your paying for peace of mind.
It always amazes me how people won't leave $100.00 (or more) in cash in the care of a total stranger but not think twice about leaving their most precious gift with one.
bo2234 05:13 PM 05-23-2013
Your husband is right. If someone says that to me, I usually say "well, daycare is pricey, but you have to think what kind of care your child will get. Most likely, if you get someone who is REALLY cheap, then you're going to get cheap daycare from someone who's literally just in it for the money." Although, most of the time (in an in-home setting anyway) when your prices are high, you weed out the people who don't give a hoot about who watches their children. You will most likely find people who are willing to pay for good care.
renodeb 11:06 AM 05-24-2013
Parents are unreal. I had one mom a while back brag about how much money she makes at her job and then later on in that same conversation say how expensive dc is. Within that same year she got a boob job and a fancy new car then pulled her child b/c they were tight on money! WTH? I usually just come back with something like "well in a perfect world, no one would need dc because all of us moms could just stay home." That usually shuts them up! I leave in a pretty affluent neighboorhood and I still get that reaction! It bugs me to. The kicker is that I charge less than the average for where I live and parents still complain!
julie 02:50 PM 05-24-2013
I say "Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. However, my opinion is that you are most certainly entitled." I look them dead in the eye the whole time. And yes, I have said it, and it ends the conversation.

Honestly the ones who do say those kinds of things to me are the ones who place a higher priority on the "things" they must buy over the quality of care for their children. So I don't feel bad saying it at all, especially since they think it is okay to tell me that I should be earning LESS money to care for their kids more than they do. Yeah. Okay then.
dave4him 04:13 PM 05-24-2013
I cant seem to get people to pay the price it should be! The DHS pays so little its insulting! And my part timer pays half of what the DHS pays me out of pocket cause she thinks that's fair! Again insulting. But if I were to go back to work full time it would cost more than 800 a month for my twins plus my first grader would add on to that. I just say yes its costly that is why I am a stay at home dad.
Cradle2crayons 05:08 PM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by dave4him:
I cant seem to get people to pay the price it should be! The DHS pays so little its insulting! And my part timer pays half of what the DHS pays me out of pocket cause she thinks that's fair! Again insulting. But if I were to go back to work full time it would cost more than 800 a month for my twins plus my first grader would add on to that. I just say yes its costly that is why I am a stay at home dad.
I heard that.. Here the state only reimburses like 55 bucks a week for a FULL TIME child. I can't even feed one two meals and two snacks a week for that. It's crazy
Tags:parents - don't appreciate, rates - fair and reasonable
Reply Up