Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screwed Myself Over!!!
My Lil' Monkeys 08:57 AM 12-20-2010
So, I think I feel like I just screwed myself over big time!! In the beginning of December I took in a full time little girl (who only came 1 week and then will start full time January 3rd) her Mom called and asked if I could take her sister (who is 6) on Fridays only. Well, I said yes (I could use the $). But, I've just realized I can't take in any other children because I said I would allow the sister to come on Fridays. So, I don't know what to do because I really need another full time kid. So, I'm wondering because they don't really start until January 3rd that I tell Mom and Dad that I will watch the sister on Fridays until I have the opportunity to fill the full time spot? Or am I screwed? I feel horrible...
DCMomOf3 09:03 AM 12-20-2010
I think you have time, but I'd tell them soon. Just say you went over your numbers again and you realized that you are advertising for a full time child and once that spot has been filled you will no longer have room for the 6yo. i assume you don't have a contract for her yet.
melskids 09:07 AM 12-20-2010
if she's 6, is she in school yet? so it would be before/after school?

maybe you can find someone only needing care the hours she is in school. i have a few who come later in the a.m. and get picked up at 3:30, so i can take SA's. or maybe you ca find someone who doesnt need fridays. idk, i'm just thinking out loud ..lol
JeepGirl6 09:09 AM 12-20-2010
I would tell her that you were looking to fill another full time spot so you had your ad posted before she told you about watching her 6 year old Friday and let her know you have interviews set up. Tell her you will be more than happy to assist her with her child care needs for her youngest but since her 6 year old is schoolage child she will be taking up a possible full time spot for another child, which right now with the way the economy is, you really need to fill a Monday-Friday position. I would let you her know you are limited to children and unless you find someone that only needs you Monday-Thursday, you don't want that to prevent you from getting another possible full time child that would be there to interact with her youngest. I would let her know about after school programs that daycare centers have but you want to make sure everything is worded right because you don't want her to just end up taking her little one to the daycare also because it will be easier for pick up.
My Lil' Monkeys 09:11 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I think you have time, but I'd tell them soon. Just say you went over your numbers again and you realized that you are advertising for a full time child and once that spot has been filled you will no longer have room for the 6yo. i assume you don't have a contract for her yet.
I had Mom sign a handbook contract and financial contract for the one dcg but I didn't give her one for the sister. I ended up redoing my handbook and gave it out to all my parents starting back in January and asked them to bring it back signed on January 3rd. I also gave Mom a contract for the sister then. So, I call today? or do I wait until Jan. 3rd to let them know as they will be on a 2 week trial then? Thank You for your reply
My Lil' Monkeys 09:13 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
if she's 6, is she in school yet? so it would be before/after school?

maybe you can find someone only needing care the hours she is in school. i have a few who come later in the a.m. and get picked up at 3:30, so i can take SA's. or maybe you ca find someone who doesnt need fridays. idk, i'm just thinking out loud ..lol
She goes to Kindergarten and school days are M - Th and she needs care for her on Fridays only. I'm not sure of any place around me that only takes on Fridays. I have no problem keeping her until I can fill the spot and who knows it may take until June to get another full timer in.
DCMomOf3 09:16 AM 12-20-2010
I would call before she brings you the signed contract just so I started on an honest foot since they are a new family.
My Lil' Monkeys 09:20 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I would tell her that you were looking to fill another full time spot so you had your ad posted before she told you about watching her 6 year old Friday and let her know you have interviews set up. Tell her you will be more than happy to assist her with her child care needs for her youngest but since her 6 year old is schoolage child she will be taking up a possible full time spot for another child, which right now with the way the economy is, you really need to fill a Monday-Friday position. I would let you her know you are limited to children and unless you find someone that only needs you Monday-Thursday, you don't want that to prevent you from getting another possible full time child that would be there to interact with her youngest. I would let her know about after school programs that daycare centers have but you want to make sure everything is worded right because you don't want her to just end up taking her little one to the daycare also because it will be easier for pick up.
I don't have anyone lined up right now, I just am advertising for a full time spot. I really don't mind watching her on Fridays until I find someone else. but I feel like that's really mean to say "Once I find a full timer to fill her spot she can stay". I really only take kids 5 and younger because 6 is way to old for my group which is 3 and younger. Would you call Mom this week? Or should I wait until they start in Jan? Thank you for your response!!
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by katiez01:
She goes to Kindergarten and school days are M - Th and she needs care for her on Fridays only. I'm not sure of any place around me that only takes on Fridays. I have no problem keeping her until I can fill the spot and who knows it may take until June to get another full timer in.
I am in the same spot but I can have 10 under school-age per day and 12 if two are school age so taking my kindergarten boy (age 6) who also only goes to school M-R and is off on Fridays fits perfectly into my schedule I just have 11 kids on Fridays versus 10 kids on M-R....check your licensing since the little girl is SA, because she may not count in your ratios.
My Lil' Monkeys 09:42 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am in the same spot but I can have 10 under school-age per day and 12 if two are school age so taking my kindergarten boy (age 6) who also only goes to school M-R and is off on Fridays fits perfectly into my schedule I just have 11 kids on Fridays versus 10 kids on M-R....check your licensing since the little girl is SA, because she may not count in your ratios.
She counts. Any child that's not related to me counts in my totals. I can only have 6 children in my care and my own children count. My older son goes to school and turns 7 in June so he doesn't count against my total ratio (once he turns 7). Where as this little girl takes up a whole week spot just to come on Fridays.
DCMomOf3 09:50 AM 12-20-2010
She counts. Any child that's not related to me counts in my totals. I can only have 6 children in my care and my own children count. My older son goes to school and turns 7 in June so he doesn't count against my total ratio (once he turns 7). Where as this little girl takes up a whole week spot just to come on Fridays.
Wouldn't she just hold a spot for Fridays? Since she isn't at your house M-th She wouldnt' count those days would she? I would think that "in your care" means "at your house at a time".
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 12-20-2010
That's a drag Maybe you could just tell mom that she can be there but would automatically get bumped if someone else comes along and needs the space. I always tell my part-timers that full-time ALWAYS gets priority over part-time regardless of how long I may have had a family...give mom the ooportunity to pay for the space so she can have it guaranteed. Boy, those ratio rules make it hard for families who have Kindergarteners because unless someone has daycare on Fridays only, how do parents find care just for Friday....
My Lil' Monkeys 10:19 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Wouldn't she just hold a spot for Fridays? Since she isn't at your house M-th She wouldnt' count those days would she? I would think that "in your care" means "at your house at a time".
She would hold a spot for Fridays but I won't be able to take in a full timer because I would only have a spot for Mon - Thu open. My full timers bring in more $ than my part timers
My Lil' Monkeys 10:26 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's a drag Maybe you could just tell mom that she can be there but would automatically get bumped if someone else comes along and needs the space. I always tell my part-timers that full-time ALWAYS gets priority over part-time regardless of how long I may have had a family...give mom the ooportunity to pay for the space so she can have it guaranteed. Boy, those ratio rules make it hard for families who have Kindergarteners because unless someone has daycare on Fridays only, how do parents find care just for Friday....
I know I very new to this and I didn't think ahead (like I needed too) to let them know that if I had the chance of bringing in a full timer she would get bumped. I'm going to let Mom and Dad know asap about the change and I'm going to create a different contract to have them sign just for her. When this family first did an interview it was just for the 3 yr old and 2 days before they where suppose to start Mom called and asked if I could take in the 6 yr old. Which not thinking I said "yes". (I know very stupid of me!!) Trust me I've learned my lesson! They only came for a week in Dec but the 3 yr old starts full time first week in Jan. and I think they'll have enough time if I let them know about the change.
laundrymom 10:41 AM 12-20-2010
I would be straightforward with them and say,.. I just realized that the friday slot is my last one, and if I have the chance to fill it full time I really need to, I hope you understand......
My Lil' Monkeys 10:50 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would be straightforward with them and say,.. I just realized that the friday slot is my last one, and if I have the chance to fill it full time I really need to, I hope you understand......
Thank You!!!
jen 10:56 AM 12-20-2010
You may want to check with your licensor, you may be able to get a varience, especially since she's a school-ager.
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
You may want to check with your licensor, you may be able to get a varience, especially since she's a school-ager.
That is an option...most variances though are for age catagories and not to go over licensing limits...but I would check anyways....is she atleast close to 7 yrs old so that could be a point in your direction?

I know I very new to this and I didn't think ahead (like I needed too) to let them know that if I had the chance of bringing in a full timer she would get bumped. I'm going to let Mom and Dad know asap about the change and I'm going to create a different contract to have them sign just for her. When this family first did an interview it was just for the 3 yr old and 2 days before they where suppose to start Mom called and asked if I could take in the 6 yr old. Which not thinking I said "yes". (I know very stupid of me!!) Trust me I've learned my lesson! They only came for a week in Dec but the 3 yr old starts full time first week in Jan. and I think they'll have enough time if I let them know about the change.
DON'T BE SO TOUGH ON YOURSELF!! Most of us have solid policies and contracts in place because we didn't fore-see something or didn't think something through....I'm an eternal optimist though and no mistake is a bad one if we learn from it. Chalk it all up to learning and go from there. I would be honest with the parents and tell them, that you agreed without thinking it through all the way and realize that as much as you want to be flexible you have to do what works for your business first and they can either pay for the full spot or know they can and will get bumped by a full timer.... It gets especially tricky when you take a child/family because it works at the time and then due to kids aging or moving off to school or leaving; what once worked no longer works so it is important o keep the lines of communication open with the parents and just be honest about it. Even if people don't like the rules of business, you gotta do what you gotta due to make your bills...
My Lil' Monkeys 11:20 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Even if my licensor allowed me to keep her, I wouldn't be able to take/pick-up my son to/from school (if I got a full timer plus kept her) as my van isn't big enough to add another car seat.
My Lil' Monkeys 01:50 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Thank You! I did end up telling both parents that she was my last spot and if I find another full timer I would give them 2 weeks notice that I had found someone to fill her spot. They both understood completely but Dcm said that come this summer she would more than likely pull her other daughter from my care to place both of them together (makes sense)
Tags:requirements
Reply Up