Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD- DCM's Spring break
momofboys 08:39 AM 03-02-2011
Today my DCM informed me that next week was her spring break from nursing school. I was expecting her to follow up with she wouldn't need care for part of the time. Instead she said she planned to work part of the time, study & get some things done around the house. I am fine with that - I was worried she would want to pay less because of less care which I am NOT fine with, especially with such short notice! But how do I handle it if she doesn't use
me for one day or more? Prior to the New Year I was fairly lax & if she let me know in advance (2 weeks notice) she would be home & didn't need my
services I did not make her pay. However, I turned down a job (nanny type - for more $$$/consistency) in January & in turn they (current family) offered me a slightly higher wage to continue caring for their children. I did not tell them at that point that I needed the consistency (IE steady flow of $$$!) to continue with them. I am afraid next week will be a mess & she will only want to bring them 2-3 days & in turn only pay for those days? How do I handle this? Should I only say something if they offer to pay less next Monday? I don't want to assume this is what she will do but I don't know. We do have a contract but it is outdated (mom's hours/schooling) changes frequently so I got tired of re-writing it!
GG~DAYCARE 08:59 AM 03-02-2011
I would discuss it NOW so you both know where each other stand. Leaving it to pay day, she may assume the prior arrangement and than you would have a hard time changing it. I bet once she realizes she has to pay either way you will see the dck's all week!!!
Autismworld 09:23 AM 03-02-2011
What does your outdated contract say regarding payment on days the children do not attend? Does it state a discount for non attending days or anything regarding payment regardless of attendance???
momofboys 09:24 AM 03-02-2011
I guess I don't know how to tactfully bring it up. There is nothing easy about talking $$$. Maybe it would be easier to add an addendum to my regular contract that states something to the effect of:

"Parents are responsible for paying for the full weekly amount due unless provider closes for vacation or takes a sick or personal day. No discounts will be given if your child/ren miss a day of daycare"

How does this sound?
momofboys 09:26 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by Autismworld:
What does your outdated contract say regarding payment on days the children do not attend? Does it state a discount for non attending days or anything regarding payment regardless of attendance???
I did allow them to not pay provided they gave me TWO WEEKS notice. This would not even be two weeks since she is talking about next week. So I obviously should change it!
SandeeAR 09:27 AM 03-02-2011
Mine are all part time kids, so here is how I have it worded.

Absences

You must pay for your regular scheduled days/ or the entire week, depending on which applies, whether your child is here or not.

There will be no refund or adjustments made to your childcare fee for your time missed due to illness, school holidays, snow days, or any other reason other than your designated vacation time.
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 03-02-2011
I'd use the "New Fiscal Year" excuse and draw up a new contract for everyone with an little note saying there have been "a few changes" It does not have to be January...

Hit everything you can think of, now, for the rest of the year....

Give them 2 weeks to have everything signed, turned in and agreed to and just call next week a "wash" in your mind if she does not folllow through ...in exchange for a drama free year.

Now, if it were me I'd only offer two part-time options, though..

1. M-W-F

2. T-TH

If someone chooses #1 you only have #2 part-time slot left... That way you are using only one slot per 2 part-times and have the rest to fill with full-time only...
Reply Up