Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>circle time sharing
mamamanda 04:51 PM 05-23-2015
When we start circle time I hold a Sunshine popsicle stick in my hand and wd sing the good morning song. Then I pass the stick around & whoever has the stick shares something they're thankful for. I have 2 kiddos that go on and on and on when its their turn. I always lose the other kids quickly b/c they're bored so I started saying, "Name one thing you're thankful for and pass it on." That helped, but one dcg 3 speaks so quietly no one can understand anything she says. She talks normally any other time, but I've asked her to talk louder, let us hear her, use a big girl voice...she just whispers & I have to cut her off everyday. We have no clue what she's saying & she will talk for 5 minutes if allowed. Does anyone else do a version of this activity? If so what are your rules for it? And how do you cut a chip off without making them feel like their response wasn't valued?
Controlled Chaos 04:56 PM 05-23-2015
Don't worry Just giving them the chance to share is good for them. We do the same thing. They are allowed to share one thing. If I can't hear them, I might ask once to repeat in a big girl voice, but if I still can't hear them I just thank them for sharing and give them a high five Sharing in front of a group is something some just aren't comfortable with but allowing them practice without too much structure/limitations or direction is beneficial (IMO). I think the most important thing is to make them feel comfortable and empowered by the experience.
Unregistered 04:58 PM 05-23-2015
When they start to go on and on, we say "okay, tell me one more bit about that and then its someone else's turn." They say the one bit and we say thanks, next! And cut 'em off if you have to!
daycare 06:22 PM 05-23-2015
I would ask her to come closer to you and tell you. Then you can repeat for all her friends to hear. Sounds like she's insecure about speaking in front of all of her peers on the spot
Unregistered 02:43 PM 05-25-2015
I explain ahead that our friends aren't ready to listen past the count of ten and we count slowly to ten so they get an idea how long that is. I silently count to ten once they start talking (or a little over), then I ring a bell. You could set a timer instead.
Reply Up